Phoenix Props - Death Trooper Helmet

So the model is 99% done. Maybe a few small tweaks, and input from anyone else would be great.

Once the model is finished this week it will be send off to be professionally finished and fully smoothed, and then getting ready for molding.

13664503_887912694664106_641049889_n_zps6spwahpx.jpg13874747_887914364663939_1450279503_n_zpsbgpeia9p.jpg13866585_887913604664015_100371583_n_zps5cgczrah.jpg13664299_887914401330602_1468461006_n_zpshzr2r3hu.jpg13652431_887913137997395_1216995528_n_zps96ycrbgj.jpg

13814470_886368271485215_1685681968_n%201_zpsihlicdbl.jpg

• Like 3

I love it :) Will the headlamp be cast in such a way that a lens and working lamp can be fitted?

Also what is the max head circumference that you expect to be able to accommodate?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

I love it :) Will the headlamp be cast in such a way that a lens and working lamp can be fitted? Also what is the max head circumference that you expect to be able to accommodate? Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

The range finder (whatever it is) will be rotocast hollow, so you can dremel out parts and light it up. I won't provide the electronics but it will not be a solid part so making the needed mods will be easy enough.

I imagine it being permanently mounted to the mount and magnets put inside the pieces so it can pop on and off.

• Like 1

That's exciting DDay, and it looks amazing.

The range finder (whatever it is) will be rotocast hollow, so you can dremel out parts and light it up. I won't provide the electronics but it will not be a solid part so making the needed mods will be easy enough. I imagine it being permanently mounted to the mount and magnets put inside the pieces so it can pop on and off.
Can't wait to see the first cast :) Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
That's exciting DDay, and it looks amazing.

Thanks all, the modeler is really top shelf!

Look him up on FB if you have another project you are interested in. Skylu 3D Designs.

His skills and my nitpicking should be a good result :D

To answer the other part of your question Mark, headsize is basically really big.

It's in the same scale as my FOTK helmet, and other TFA helmets, and ANH, and so on. So they can fit big heads. However the helmet is right on the mark as far as scale.

• Like 1

Normally I'm a FISD guy, but I know a lot of us are from both sides. So some of you already know me, and if you don't... Hi! :smiley-sw013:

I'm planning on doing the same to start this as I did my TFA troopers. I will take a small run of folks, say 5-8 helmet pre orders.

This will be a discounted price to the folks on the list, in exchange for helping me to pay for the startup costs. So you help me by paying in front, I help by giving you a nice price for the kit.

I've done this 2 other times on the FISD, once with my TFA trooper helmets and once with my F11D blasters and both times I delivered the items. There were some delays, but nothing extraordinary and everyone got what they paid for and everyone was happy.

Since this trooper belongs here, I will offer these spots to you guys first. If you want them.

I'm not ready to start this up just yet. I want the model done and the helmet in printing before I do anything.

This is no pipe dream, this will be a reality :D

• Like 2

Also, not 100% sure if the aerator detail/greeblie is just like the Biker Scouts or not. If it is, then the 2 posts/tubes are slightly skewed to the right instead of being straight (90 degree). I think it's a little different but it's hard to tell with the pics available. Here's a couple of pics to compare off of.

deathtrooper%20helmet_zpsq2yiqmjy.jpeg

nose-bit.jpg

Also, not 100% sure if the aerator detail/greeblie is just like the Biker Scouts or not. If it is, then the 2 posts/tubes are slightly skewed to the right instead of being straight (90 degree). I think it's a little different but it's hard to tell with the pics available. Here's a couple of pics to compare off of.

nose-bit.jpg

I thought the same thing when I saw the exploded view. It looked just like a TB snout sans aerator.

nose-bit.jpg

I thought the same thing when I saw the exploded view. It looked just like a TB snout sans aerator.

I'm trying to see what you mean, but I see several possibilities.... possible to draw some red lines? :D

I'm sorry Derrek. I feel like I opened up a can of worms that probably would have been best served in a CRL discussion. I was really just trying to point it out to you since you asked for input. The greeblie that's on the Scout trooper/Shoretrooper/Deathtrooper is based off a Tamiya Yamaha XS1100LG Midnight Special 1:6 Scale motorcycle model kit. Specifically the engine block. Although the 2 parts seem to match up identically with the Scout and Shoretrooper, it may not be identical on the Deathtrooper. It's really hard to tell since they weathered the part on the Celebration models. There are 4 parts that were used specifcally for the engine block. 2 of them have straight (90 degree) ports, and 2 have slightly skewed ports. They might have used a straight one for the Deathtrooper. I really can't tell now that I've looked into it more. I had just assumed it was the same as the other 2 costumes. I'll post some pics in just a few hours of what I'm talking of. These work computers hate posting pictures on 501st forums.

I'm sorry Derrek. I feel like I opened up a can of worms that probably would have been best served in a CRL discussion. I was really just trying to point it out to you since you asked for input. The greeblie that's on the Scout trooper/Shoretrooper/Deathtrooper is based off a Tamiya Yamaha XS1100LG Midnight Special 1:6 Scale motorcycle model kit. Specifically the engine block. Although the 2 parts seem to match up identically with the Scout and Shoretrooper, it may not be identical on the Deathtrooper. It's really hard to tell since they weathered the part on the Celebration models. There are 4 parts that were used specifcally for the engine block. 2 of them have straight (90 degree) ports, and 2 have slightly skewed ports. They might have used a straight one for the Deathtrooper. I really can't tell now that I've looked into it more. I had just assumed it was the same as the other 2 costumes. I'll post some pics in just a few hours of what I'm talking of. These work computers hate posting pictures on 501st forums.

Barry, no can of worms at all! I'm am 100% into making any detail changes possible before this gets finalized. An illustration would be very appreciated as I"m not 100% sure I'm following still.

You are referring to the 2 circular ports at the bottom of the grill? Some stand straight up, and some are tilted? I see that the ports on the scout piece looks a little tilted to the right. I will check the other photos I have and see what I can see.

Yep, those are the 2 spots in question Derrek. Some (2) are straight on the model pieces, and some (2) are slightly tilted both right and left, with a slightly angled cut on top of that at the end of the port. I did a little research on the parts last night and cropped some pictures to show you. I'll post the pics in a couple of hours.

I went through several of the shots I have from promos and celebration, I think that these ports are straight on, not tilted.

In this photo: Capture4_zpsndvwbqh3.jpg

The head is turned to the left (or the camera, same/same), and if the ports were tilted this direction the ports would be facing the camera, instead they look to be facing straight ahead.

The port on our right also looks to be facing straight instead of to the side:

Capture2_zpsrb7e9edh.jpg

Here is a straight on shot, and it looks like the port is dead center. At least the one on our right side, the left one looks either damaged or unknown.

Capture3_zpsnqvencjj.jpg

This one just shows basiclly the same.

Capture1_zpswrzie7vo.jpg

Here is a closer view for people to dissect the grill. The fins on the very top have been modified, this is an older photo.

13835901_886888018099907_1335624761_o_zpsdvr8uj3f.jpg

Yeah, that's because it has a known Star Wars part on it I'm sure. I can ask around today and see if anyone has the model still so we can get good pictures of the other 3 engine pieces. Like I said before, I still don't think we have enough info to say yes or no either way. I'd honestly go with it the way it is, or model the part to be a seperate cast if you're concerned about it at all. It's really such a beautiful model. I'm really sorry I put a snag in the process. I'm still going to post my pics for you in about 2-1/2 hours. The model at celebration was very weathered on that greeblie, which make it really hard to tell.

Yeah, that's because it has a known Star Wars part on it I'm sure. I can ask around today and see if anyone has the model still so we can get good pictures of the other 3 engine pieces. Like I said before, I still don't think we have enough info to say yes or no either way. I'd honestly go with it the way it is, or model the part to be a seperate cast if you're concerned about it at all. It's really such a beautiful model. I'm really sorry I put a snag in the process. I'm still going to post my pics for you in about 2-1/2 hours. The model at celebration was very weathered on that greeblie, which make it really hard to tell.

You didn't put any snags in at all! Feedback like this is why I"m a part of the 501st community, because ultimately I'm producing it for you guys.

I think at this point it's ok to proceed, if it turns out there is a difference, this can be sculpted in by hand later.

• Like 1

These are the Tamiya model parts. If they reused them for the Deathtrooper the grill patterns at the ports would indicate they are skewed. There are extra grill lines on the straight ports. They might have made a completely new greeblie based off the old one, or the may have even flattened out the port tops on the new one. Honestly though, I'd just go with what ya got. If nothing else, now you know. :)

Tamiya%20Engine%20Greeblie_zpspwlwt3rb.jpg

Here are the instructions for the kit. I flipped the image to make it relative. "A" and "B' are the skewed ports. It also kind of shows the angle in which they are cut.

Tamiya%20Scout%20Greeblie%20Plans%20Altered_zpszxtvscvf.jpg

Here's a few zoomed pictures from the Celebration models.

Death%20trooper%20greeblie_zpsyozqflcg.jpg

Tamiya%20Scout%20Greeblie%202%20Deathtrooper_zpsnk4jypwi.jpg

This is the same greeblie on the Shoretrooper.

Shoretrooper%20Greeblie_zps1dbdeuhn.jpg

And lastly the greeblie from my Scout helmet.

Scout%20Snout%20Detail_zpsvbxwhrls.jpg