Death Trooper (ROU) Armour - Shins

The shin armour was originally made "one size" however in order to make it fit the actors some of the shins had extension pieces added. This has led to there being two reference-able versions of the shin armour which share many details but have a number of distinct differences, primarily at the rear. The following description shall provide information on the common details plus the variations that exist between the "Standard" and "Extended" versions of the Shins.

20180314_054006_zpsulpjg85w.jpg

Front of Shins - Common Features

20180314_054042_zps3rgghlut.jpg

Rear of "Standard" Shin Variant

20180314_054134_zpshmkllpas.jpg

Rear of "Extended" Shin Variant

Common Features:

• There is a cover strip to the front and rear of each shin which runs vertically from top to bottom. At the top of both the front cover strips and rear cover strip on the right hand shin they can be seen to tapper inwards. However the rear cover strip on the left hand shin is squared off at the top. (The asymmetric detailing at the top of the rear cover strips will be a Level 2 requirement).

Collage%202018-03-24%2007_34_56_zps0bl7kd2q.jpg

• The cover strips have a rectangular detailing evident. The edges of the rectangle is formed using slots cut into the surface of the cover strip. The "not to scale" image below shows the cover strip profile with the slots. (The existence of the rectangular detailing is a level 1 requirement. The rectangular detailing created using a slot is recommended as a level 2 requirement).

profile_zpsoiidwdnq.jpg

• On the inner part of the shin there is a recessed detailing which runs vertically from just below the top of the shin to just above the wrap around on the inner ankle. The bottom of this recessed detailing is angled to run parallel to the top of the wrap around. Within the recess there is a further recessed area that rises front to back.
  • Each shin has a wrap around at the ankle. Triangular in shape with the sloping edge continuing the line of the angled detailing on the outer shin it is attached to the rear cover strip and curved to follow the profile of the inner shin at the ankle. The ONLY part of the shin armour the wrap around attaches to is the cover strip, it is separated from the inner shin.
  • The bottom edge of the wrap around is flush with the bottom of the shin and is unshaped.

Screenshot_20180311-235200_zpsj3rspnp6.png

The above photo provides a close up of the wrap around from the rear. There are a couple of interesting points to note:
  • this shin armour has a mechanism for securing it closed when worn, possibly snaps there is one located on the inner face of the wrap around (location denoted by the square cover, possibly black electrical tape, over a small domed area);
  • the line that could be confused as being the bottom edge of the shin, and therefore suggesting that the wrap around has a sculpted bottom edge, is in fact a seam line on the Jered boot. The bottom edge of the wrap around can be seen above that.

• The shins separate like a "clam shell" under the rear cover strip. The cover strip is moulded to the outer shin with the inner shin passing under the cover strip. There is no joint evident at the front cover strip.
  • Each shin has a angled raised detailing strip running from the front cover strip around the outer to the rear one. It is angled downwards as it runs front to back. The top edge of the wrap around at the ankle follows the same downward angle effective providing a continuation of the detailing to the base of the shin at the inner ankle.
  • The shin armour for the right leg has four (4) rectangular boxes attached vertically to the outer shin approximately midway between the raised angled detailing strip and the top edge of the armour. These are NOT present on the left leg.
  • The shin armour for the left leg has two (2) trapezoidal (can't think of a better description!) boxes located either side of the front cover strip just below the knee.
  • Each shin has a "knee plate" thickening that extends around the top edge of the shin armour. How far it extends depends on the shin type: "Standard" or "Extended".
  • The left shin has a steeply angled slot detail running from the top of the shin (on the left side of the knee) down to the point at which the raised detailing strip meets the front cover strip.

"Standard" Shin Features:

• The "knee plate" thickening on the top edge of the "Standard" shin armour extends round towards the rear cover plate. Each side of the "knee plate" ends approximately equal distance from the rear cover strip.
  • There is NO vertical slot or edge detailing near the rear cover strip on the inner shin.

"Extended" Shin Features:

• The " knee plate" thickening on the top edge of the "Extended" shin armour extends round towards the rear cover plate. Where the "knee plate" ends at the rear of the shin there is greater separation between the cover strip and the "knee plate" on the inner part of the shin than on the outer part.
  • A raised edge detailing is evident running vertically or near vertically up the inner shin near the cover strip. The edge on the left hand shin tappers in slightly towards the top. This is NOT "slot" detailing as is found on other parts of the armour. (For information, on the screen used armour this edge detail is created by an extension piece being glued into place in order to expand the shins to fit the wearer. This can be seen on the left leg near the top of the shin armour where the extension piece and original armour have separated exposing the glue).

I will aim to continue to update this thread as additional information becomes available.

• Like 2

I've heard about the shins but never know what is being referenced. Any chance that the photos can include markings of the differences? I've scrolled up and down trying to identify them but alas I'm still just a recruit. :D

I've heard about the shins but never know what is being referenced. Any chance that the photos can include markings of the differences? I've scrolled up and down trying to identify them but alas I'm still just a recruit. :D
Yeah no problem. I plan on providing further updates to this later today so watch this space :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@marktoots Hey Mark! Great info! As I am about to start my build (ArmoryShop), am really curious how these shins were attached? With the lower triangle detail molded to the outside "half" of the shin, it's see really hard to "open" these up like you would say a TK shin. The new ArmoryShop shins are molded this way in three pieces...the upper detail and the two halves of the shin. That bottom detail really prevents you from opening them up enough to get your leg in.

Just curious if you have any idea how these things get put on.[/background]