TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

Well now that both of my Novas are done and approved, I am bored again. I would work on the Darktrooper but still waiting for a machine. So to keep me busy while I wait, I try to make another one of these. Unlike Crazas, I think I'll try to attempt the lighting as well. Here's what I got so far, refurbishing my old armor kit (it's really beat up, despite just being approved I had worn it a few times for things).

VSnlSb6.jpg

I kind of "freaked" out at the thought about what to do with my old Nova kit since I just bought and assembled the AM kit. I also watched Tron and Tron: Legacy last week (had a little influence with the decision to do the lighting), then while bored one day came across this trooper again. So I immediately decided this would be my new project.

I hope to try and use clear plastic to do the lighting for the required parts and just paint over the rest of the armor not being lighted. I thought about an approach to just cut out all the lighted sections, but then started worrying about seams between everything. I plan on doing lots of different tests on some clear plastic I have coming. I'll figure something out.

Fivezero

biggrin.gif

i've been researching on trying to do a tron costume and lots of people been using electro luminescent light which either come in strips or wires and easily found in ebay

best part is they only take 2 AA batteries for a long strip of wire/strip

Elfront.jpg

though electro luminescent panels take a bit of wiring to hook up which i dont know how to work those but for my tron costume i think i will work with the wires

also if you keep reading on this forum your bound to get some knowledge on lighting and wiring

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tron-legacy-costume-88230/

Wow, thanks a bunch Tori. I was originally going to use LEDs, but this seems like a better light source for what need. I just ordered a strip to try it out. :D

i've done some LED lighting before...just doesnt do justice plus if you dont know how to use resistors then boy is it a lot of batteries

=) tell me how it works out I have yet to try em cause well funding doesnt allow me on another costume just yet

Hey, no problem Tori. I'll tell you how it works out.

Anyway, I decided to do some more research into paint and lighting schemes tonight. So I popped my disc in the Xbox and did a little running around as this trooper.

Based on some of the screenshots I saw from the Xbox/PC versions of this trooper, I felt the extent of the two tone armor of the Wii version wasn't the same (I originally thought it was all one color). And after messing around in the lights in game, it pretty much wasn't the same. I found out the two-tone only exists on the chest plate, thighs and the ab plate (even then it seems like a difference between glossy and flat paint). Everything else looked to have the same silverish shimmer when I moved around.

I also happened to find this as I frolicked in the lights.

nzaAKWC.jpg

The red piping on the boots. I looked back at the other reference pics and if you really look for it, you can barely see it. So I might have to incorporate that to the boots.

I did some experimenting with the wire today. I placed it under some clear plastic that's been fogged and over parts like the ab plate where it will shine on to.

DSCF0002.jpg

My only problem with it was that it just wasn't bright enough, so I'll try scrounging around for some high brightness wire tonight. Otherwise it's some cool stuff.

And I haven't been able to find this red stripe on the knee plate Crazas. I spent a good two hours running around in different places as this trooper and never saw any red on the Xbox version. However, I was able to find vertical stripes on the traps and tears on the helmet of this guy, I got a little bored looking at the legs all the time.

Nothing too intensive with the armor yet, but soon.

Well I got an LED strip to try out. I have one thing to say, they are BRIGHT!! Here's a comparison picture (the EL wire is on the bottom).

B4iW2tA.jpg

So yeah, it looks like I'll be going with those for the lighting.

And here's another quick shot of the strip shining on the ab plate (just a quick little fun picture).

WtDWbNR.jpg

It takes about eight AA batteries. But I think I have a plan worked out to only use about 24 batteries for everything.

It takes about eight AA batteries. But I think I have a plan worked out to only use about 24 batteries for everything.

24? !!!!!!! :o lol, you might want to get a back pack and slap a car battery in there.

I know it's still a lot of batteries but it's a lot better than the 120 or so that I originally calculated doing each strip with its own power (had to think of some thing better than that, still looking into some better LEDs/power sources though)

Though a car battery did cross my mind at one point....:P

why not something in between. Car battery is over kill. It will have way more reserve juice then you'll ever need, now a laptop battery is light and can provide the proper power with less weight. Obviously need something more then the default 6 cell,but it would still be way lighter

Yeah just to make this clear, I never really planned to use a car battery for the obvious reasons of weight and size. I did some quick measurements and all of the AA batteries I would need could fit in the back plate.

However the idea of the laptop battery is intriguing and I think I'll look into that for an alternative (cause I really don't what to be going through that many batteries).

Yeah just to make this clear, I never really planned to use a car battery for the obvious reasons of weight and size. I did some quick measurements and all of the AA batteries I would need could fit in the back plate.

However the idea of the laptop battery is intriguing and I think I'll look into that for an alternative (cause I really don't what to be going through that many batteries).

Umm... Wait... People didn't know that was a joke? :teehee:

-iz

Well I was pretty exhausted from studying from exams when I wrote that last night, so Darth's post sounded much more serious than it is. I was unsure if people actually thought I was considering the car battery. So if I misinterpreted you Darth, I'm sorry :blush:

Fivezero

:D