izzi's eFX Shadow Stormtrooper Helmet Review

Mine was at home waiting for me just when arrived from CV!! (yep a little too late! LOL)

I'll post some pics later next to an Stunt MR TK bucket just to show what we all know, same mold (even the pseudo-padding is the same)

Mine was at home waiting for me just when arrived from CV!! (yep a little too late! LOL)

I'll post some pics later next to an Stunt MR TK bucket just to show what we all know, same mold (even the pseudo-padding is the same)

Very good review and very fair. I got 3 so I'm very happy with this lid. Yes most of what could be said in the end are little things. I for one will wear it for trooping, and will leave one without any mod'ing just for display. I have on order a set of black Tupperware armour and think both should go well together.

Just got Emailed...my rig will be in the mail Monday! :D

In regard to the preference of the black tube stripes. If I recall properly,when I submitted my pics for approval to the 501st,I was told the tube stripes could not be glossy,and HAD to be black.I painted over mine with a semi gloss black,which was good enough for approval.

• 4 weeks later...

So hopefully the only thing that really needs to be modified is the frown mesh?

As far as with the crown indents the CRL states that they can be gloss black so I will be leaving them. The tube stripes to me appear to be flat black which the CRL states they can be that so I will leave them.

I have swapped out the paper frown with plastic screen mesh and will be adding a couple of fans, but other than that is there anything else I need to do it to get my efx helmet approved?

So hopefully the only thing that really needs to be modified is the frown mesh?

As far as with the crown indents the CRL states that they can be gloss black so I will be leaving them. The tube stripes to me appear to be flat black which the CRL states they can be that so I will leave them.

I have swapped out the paper frown with plastic screen mesh and will be adding a couple of fans, but other than that is there anything else I need to do it to get my efx helmet approved?

No, I believe that once you swap out the mesh and get it to sit right on your head, you're good to go. If I'm wrong the LMO will say so.

-iz

Cool thanks for the tip Blackhole and thank you izzi for some further clarification on the efx lid.

I think it is a pretty decent helmet for the money. Kind of wish I would have bought two of them to be honest.

Check out the price now Elite collectibiles - efx shadow trooper Bastards jumped it up too $319.00! :blink:

Im so glad I grabbed mine when I did! :D

Cozmictoyz.com were the original sellers and it was their exclusive. Those guys are resellers that's the reason for the price jump.

-iz

• 2 months later...

Ok, I finally got "Permission$$$$" to try and hunt down one of these for myself.

I found it here, but I am not sure if I should buy it, my main concern is that the guy is not posting real pictures of the helmet, for me to see if it is defective or something like that.

eFX on Ebay

Any advise? I am looking forward to getting this thing since I would like a Nova in the near future.

Thanks.

Ok, I finally got "Permission$$$$" to try and hunt down one of these for myself.

I found it here, but I am not sure if I should buy it, my main concern is that the guy is not posting real pictures of the helmet, for me to see if it is defective or something like that.

eFX on Ebay

Any advise? I am looking forward to getting this thing since I would like a Nova in the near future.

Thanks.

You could look in the "for sale" area as there were a few posts for helmets and chat with one of the posters about the possibility of getting a helmet.

I say this for 2 reasons - 1) the eFx is a good helmet (I wear one) but it has a pretty noticeable seam running under the frown, and 2) the helmet you could get off one of the board members doesn't have the seam and might even save you a few bucks. Again I say might - don't quote me on that.

Guys this helmet appears to be the spitting image of the MRCE which came out a while back, is this just an MRCE done in black then?

I have four MRCE's.....don't ask. But yeah, I had plans to alter a couple of em. I found the undercut at the chin was missing more material than I liked with the CE's, and aside from the symetry, the joint and mold lines, and Frankenstein monster com covers, I thought it was a pretty cool helmet as far as LFL licensed products are concerned. The CE's started out high in price but I understand after the hype they are now down around $96.00? I just don't see the EFX being worth the extra $$$$ unless these are painted and not formed in gloss plastic. But then the mold lines and seams would've been dealt with if paint were the case. So if EFX and CE consist of the same pieces and parts but in a different colors why the extreme jump in price? Were they cheaper in the beginning?

Finally........ Thanks Izzi for the great review. It is always good to see comparison photo's of the different buckets together. The EFX Shadow even with it's obvious flaws where accuracy are concerned, is a nice looking alternative to the FX lid. :thumbsup:

Cozmictoyz.com were the original sellers and it was their exclusive. Those guys are resellers that's the reason for the price jump.

-iz

For $300 you can get a MUCH nicer bucket from an armorsmith like Scootch or RT-Mod or many others. Don't buy it for tripple the price. FISD has a section on armor makers and their various styles. Check it out.

Thanks for the advises.

The deal I am looking at includes shipping, so I guess I would be paying almost the same price for the thing, since to Ship to Puerto Rico tends to be kind of expensive sometimes.

I will do a little more research.

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...