imperial destroyer enginer

• 2 months later...

OK colour me interested in this costume.

Still plotting out everything so not much to report.

The only thing i can add is a good screen shot of the shoulder patch the troopers have. I'm going to look into getting some of those made.

ScanBMP-1.jpg

Also beneath the pack and attaching to the front and back of the belt is a leather suspender that has a H on the back.

There is also a green version of this costume which is seen in earlier issues of Empire and they are the drivers and techs of a expedition.

The only difference is that the helmet and flightsuit are green.

Same shoulder patches and same ankle high laceless boots.

Really getting stuck into this today.

Right first things first.

The Suspenders:

Found a reference for them from cannon while looking for a good image of the goggles

Atstcrew.jpg

So i think we can safely say that the suspenders are meant to be webbing/seat belt as the one in the films are.

Also i took the liberty of scanning all the good images of the green troopers, most of these show the back H and also the pouches that are attached to the belt.

As well as the shoulder patches but it isn't till the next issue that we get a clear image of what's on the patch

ScanBMP-2.jpg

Scan-001BMP.jpg

Scan-002BMP.jpg

Scan-003BMP.jpg

I'm going to start construction of the pack next week.

Using the basic dimensions of the sandie pack for general size then working from that i should be able to come up with something.

Once the frame is built it should move on rapidly once i have prototyped it with card. I've got some donor straps already sorted so that at least is one step in it's construction.

Digging through my loose assortment of bits and bobs i've found a webbing belt i was going to use for a project i but since i have long given up on that i thought it might do for the pioneer

DSCN3501.jpg

Now onto another matter. Boots.

All the pictures i have of the pioneer he wears ankle high boots that meet the flightsuit. Of course this means that i will have to put elastic in the bottoms of my flightsuit legs to get the same shape they have in the comic.

Picture below shows what i'm trying to get at.

Now looking at images of the pioneers boots next to images from the same comic of stormtrooper boots leads me to think that Chelsea boots might just do the trick.

ScanBMP-3.jpg

I've got someone working on converting the image of the patch to a drawing, which will then in turn be sent to a patch guy i know. So fingers crossed i should be able to get some of the shoulder patches done up.

I would go for the rocker patch as well but not all of the pioneers have them and there are no good images of it.

Good idea looking at the smaller details right away IMHO. I look forward to seeing the patch.

You won't need elastic in your trousers Ash...

Trouser Blousers.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19e2f1cf1c

Exactly what is used in the Army.

Those are not the most comfortable way to blouse the pant legs.

Try these instead. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Velcro-Blousing-Garters-Set/dp/B000HKNAB4/ref=sr_1_3/185-2832797-0207920?ie=UTF8&qid=1412518682&sr=8-3&keywords=military+blousing+straps

Thanks for the help, that solves that problem quite nicely.

Looking though the previous empire comic the black pioneer does make a appearance, although without helmet and pack. But the basic elements of the costume are there.

I've only just realised this as i assumed they were green troopers since a lot of the images are of them at night but stumbled upon a few of them in the day light.

I'm posting the one below since it shows a small variation in the costume. I'm also now thinking of doing the green troopers as well.

ScanBMP-002.jpg

Ok had a quick bash at the backpack using card on top of the frame.

Excuse the slapdash nature of the card prototype it is simply to get the sizing right and then proved a template for the plastic boxes.

What do you guys think regarding the size of the boxes?

DSCN3506.jpg

Also some other bits and bobs arrived in the mail today so i was able to put together the harness

Excuse the orange flightsuit, i have yet to order the black one

Also my black hat arrived, it's one of those Museum Replica ones and actually fits my head, although it is in need of a iron.

DSCN3507.jpg

DSCN3508.jpg

• 6 months later...