TX AM Armor Build

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first pieces were asics compression wear. Have held up and lasted a long time. Over time certain areas will fray up and the pieces themselves can fade after so many washes. You can tell in pics as it will have a high contrast to your armor. So I bought the eastbay special. Great pricing, great fit. A lot thinner than the asics brand I have, so I can tell it won't last as long, but it is good for now. Pics look great. Have used in I'd say 7 or 8 troops now, and still doing fine so far. Well worth the low price. :thumbsup:

All good advice thanks I checked out eastbay pricing is great but shipping is more than pricing to Australia.......... but i guess a two piece suit like that is around 100 dollars here in oz , so its cheap after all

I would get with your local garrison mates and ask them if there is somewhere local you can get your soft goods. It's obviously going to be way cheaper if you can find it nearby and not have to pay the shipping costs. With the amount of troopers down there, I'd think there would be a local source. Check that out before you go paying for the extra shipping costs and such.

Hi guys went shopping yesterday , got most of the sundry items that i will require to build the kit just having troubles choosing glues and scissors ..... devcon does a glue here called plastic weld 3500psi which i"m guessing is the force it would require to break apart .............also E6000 is scarce and over at white armor a lot of guys are recommending Zap a Gap for which you can also buy an accelerant . I rang devcon myself but the guy there said I might be better off with prematex silicone adhesive but i think that is more like a gasket sealant anyhow he is sending me a free sample so we will see.

As for the scissors I've Heard kitchen scissors are good but curved ones are recommended........my question is when they say curved do they mean vertically or horizontally , I'm more used to working with metal tin snips and there you have left, and right for cutting left and right curves and straight cut for straight lines...........the only kitchen scissors I could find were curved upward in a straight line, not left or right. My other option is the dremel, i can buy a kit with a great variety of toolbits for $50.Can anyone help please

Thanks steve

Definitely go a 2 piece suit and stay away from the racing suit only because of the weather we have here in town. I may have some spare stuff in my kitbag which I can help you out with. Will catchup with you at Comic Con and discuss it then.

Cheers thanks Shane look forward to meeting some of you guys from TAG. Just a quick note to everyone watching this thread I won't be around to much for a few days. Will be at motor racing clipsal concerts and partying sorry guys

Partying all finished guys , checked tracking on my AM TX kit and apparently its in australia somewhere so its getting close to build time yay :-)

Well guys I'm still waiting for my Armor to but thanks to scootches quick post I,ve got a bucket to keep me busy.

Dizzy your a great guy mate, I will be utilizing your restoration thread to complete this project ..... so thanks mate

I'll start the actual restoration tomorrow but for Dizzy and anyone else interested here are some pics of the bucket as it arrived.

post-1331-0-68994000-1362873465_thumb.jpgpost-1331-0-30360200-1362873472_thumb.jpgpost-1331-0-97207700-1362873478_thumb.jpg

I will have to use Dizzys Tshirt technique to reinforce a couple of areas .....and i will do the low brow cut as Dizzy has shown in his first pics ..............then 7hours of sanding (where will i find that time lol)

Only thing I won't be doing is ironing out the imperfections like the bubbled lower left eye ............... sorry Dizz but I kinda like the originality of those imperfections.

On another note guys I am gonna be quite busy I'm also embarking on a Jawa costume for my son, It will be to an approvable standard but of course because of his age 10years it won't be able to be.

So if your interested head on down to TAG I will start my thread there tomorrow.

Steve

Thanks Steve i"ll pm if I get into trouble with the Jawa

And yep Derek that is a crack so tshirt technique there I think?

sorry about brow cut thing I better go back and have a closer look at your restoration thread

Ok fellow troopers time for an update I really haven't got that far but have been busy .......this costume building is kind of addictive , so I now have a few projects underway

1. The AM Armor has finally arrived and WOW how shiny although I have no unpacked pics to post yet sorry .....will update that later :thumbsup:

2013-03-13093538_zpsa555cd12.jpg

2013-03-15200332_zps54174202.jpg

2. Scootches bucket.2013-03-10094945_zpse5904f27.jpg When I got it.

I'm getting there Dizzy under your guidance I improved some of the weaker more brittle areas in the bucket using the T shirt and Super Glue technique ( maybe I have over done some areas but the flex in the material worried me especially knowing I was going to be doing so much sanding).....I started off a bit fast outting too much glue it was hard to get the T shirt stuck evenly but I did finally get the hang of it and no parts were melted or warped although I was wondering at one stage how I was going to get my finger removed from the bucket when I got it stuck to the Tshirt lol

2013-03-12101123_zps4f18607e.jpg

2013-03-12101138_zps4ec68b6a.jpg

2013-03-12101249_zps882b5d65.jpg

2013-03-12101318_zps198080e6.jpg

Any just like I was told I sanded until my fingers were sore

2013-03-12101105_zps706a1f0f.jpg

2013-03-12101045_zpsdd5883aa.jpg

2013-03-15200220_zps3be841a5.jpg

Then I hid my head in shame

2013-03-14115629_zps6b8b8469.jpg

and thought what have you done :stupid:

2013-03-15200220_zps3be841a5.jpg

Now I am deciding on a paint type to use Kryon and the Rustoleum Dizzy used are not easy to come by here it seems ......so I asked around on TAG and the guys here reckon White Knight Epoxy enamel and undercoat are the go, so I will be heading out to buy some in the next couple of days, of course I will do a test run first then I will have to chose a gold for the stripes etc as this bucket will be going Nova Elite

One question guys and girls is it better to make a harness system for my armor prior building the actual armor or should I just velcro it while building then do the harness and strapping system later

3. Just to show you I have really been busy here is a pic of my JAWA that I started working on last week

2013-03-14154939_zpsf306f7f8.jpg

Tooo many projects on the go at once ........plus off to Comic-Con tomorrow to meet up with the TAG guys and girls. :thanks: for your support and encouragement

Derek will the minor scratches made by the 400 wet sand matter or will the undercoat take care of that.

I figured all of the Tshirt pieces will eventually be hidden by fans other electronics and padding..I am having trouble getting paint though would any other primer be ok I cant find krylon anywhere