Shocktrooper Build

Thanks for the interest guys!! I still got a few things I want to take care of before I get rolling on a channel. I want to get a 3D printer, then a new workbench, my truck needs some loving sometime this summer too (poor thing is rusting away). However, that won't stop me from getting things mapped out (goal is for 2015 to start producing stuff)! :D

• 11 months later...

WOW, been almost a year since I last worked on this. Done a lot of thinking, and I'm starting over from scratch again. Reason being, I want to be able to make at least two suits at once. The way I've been going about it is basically scratch-building each suit individually. Only way to really do what I want is to spend my time making one set of mold/forming bucks to use twice. So join me once again as I start over on the Shocktrooper!!

Basic plan is to make a simple cardstock mold (and resin it) using Pepakura to pour plaster into. Then refine these plaster castings and use them as forming bucks. I'm not too worried about them holding up in the long term, just need them to make two of everything and I'm done with them. The helmet will be cast using urethane resin in a silicone mold. I'm starting at the bottom of this trooper and working my way up.

To start we have the boot armor, ready for resin! Once everything that needs to be resined is made up, I'll spend a whole day resining everything.

DSCF0006_zps9a052428.jpg

Took a bit of a break from Pep and made up the thigh ammo belt.

DSCF0009_zpsde2cff97.jpg

Woke up this morning and back to the Pep, this time the shins are being redone! I'll use my cut up FX thighs to make some new molds (they're a bit too small for my big legs), they also need a few tweaks to work with everything else.

DSCF0010_zps8bf6c000.jpg

Finally after the leg cardstock semi-molds were made up, I went to work on the handplates. Stacked up three cutouts from sintra, glued them together, then heated them up and gave them a curve. There is finger armor too, that will probably be worked on when I get some gloves for this guy.

DSCF0008_zps5b7fcfde.jpg

Tomorrow is get the biceps ready to go. Will probably move onto the forearms as well, I'll see how it goes. From there, the shoulders, then chest, back and finish up with the helmet. And after all the molds are done and the armor is formed and the suits are assembled, I'll get the tails made up to cap it off!!

Fivezero

:D

Just when I think I have a strong handle on this costume-building thing, Ty comes along to put me in my place. Keep it up my friend.

Oh stop it Toddo, I'd say you have a really good handle on costume building (how many costumes do you have now?), but I appreciate it. :thumbsup: Scratch-building armor isn't too hard, just need to break things down into easy-to-make pieces and you need lots of patience and thinking/planning, not too bad.

Anyway just as planned here are the biceps, sorta... Decided to just make them as final pieces rather than make molds (as I originally planned way back when), They're basically just cones (without a top of course) no bulges or anything really defining besides the center ridge thingy. Got them marked out, but didn't get a chance to cut them out yet.

DSCF0002_zps6b74b46e.jpg

And here's the actual forearm molds for the plaster casts, now ready for some resin! They're a little crude, but should work fine for a one time casting.

DSCF0004_zps374a3cbe.jpg

Here's the little armor plate and its supports that just out from the left forearm. Six total cut-outs for two pieces (about 1/4" thick total) with 12 cut-outs for the supports/attachments. Still need to actually cut them out of course, I'm saving them for when I grow tired of pepping. Gives me something different to work on.

DSCF0003_zps956f723b.jpg

And finally started on the shoulders. Reusing a piece I made before for the big shoulder on the left side, got another marked out. Still need to pep the other parts, that'll be quick (about 20-30 minutes), done for tonight though.

DSCF0001_zps4a8ebb6a.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the shoulders ready to go for sure and then probably get started on the chest plate. After that is the back plate and that'll be it for now. Plan is to start resining by the end of the week, and start casting some plaster next week. I've got spring break in three weeks, goal is to have everything ready for a week of sculpting!! :)

Fivezero

More progress!

Chest and back pep molds are ready to go! Tried something different with the back plate. Made up the walls for the mold in the 3D model before making the pep file. A lot better and easier than free handing everything. But that's every core armor mold taken care of now and almost ready for some plaster!

DSCF0005_zpsc774714d.jpg

Also got the forearm armor plate cut out and glued together and bent to shape. The supports were also taken care of and this morning I got the biceps and the one shoulder piece cut out. They still need to be formed though.

DSCF0004_zps79806f67.jpg

Also did some experiments with some urethane resin and cardstock. Worked out fine for the most part, but it sets up too quickly to do anything large (i.e. lots of wasted resin). Guess I have to use fiberglass resin then, was hoping to avoid the fumes and everything.... Going to get everything resined today, let it it sit for a bit and maybe get some plaster casts made up on Sunday?

Fivezero

Woot! Mixed up some plaster today, got a few things casted!

Boots!

DSCF0001_zps673146ff.jpg

One leg, rear boot armor also done!

DSCF0003_zps4feefab4.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the other leg cast and probably the rest of the leg details as well, then the forearms, shoulders, back and finish with the chest! I'm very pleased with how everything is turning out so far. A little bit of elbow grease and some sandpaper, they'll be looking just right in no time (i.e. no polygon artifacts).

Fivezero

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More plaster!

DSCF0004_zps57d5063f.jpg

Shoulder bell, did a quick couple passes to knock some material down.

DSCF0005_zps86183c15.jpg

Forearms, again about 10 minutes of work on the one on the right, the one on the left is raw.

DSCF0006_zps9244c880.jpg

Coming along nicely, just need to get the big stuff ready to go (back and chest). :D

Really exciting to see the armor starting to emerge from the roughing. Keep going!

• 1 month later...

Don't worry guys, haven't forgotten about this thing!! Been focusing on the TFU Shadow (which is done for now) and getting the EVO rebuilt. Got a couple other things I want to finish up before I get back to it. Pretty soon I'll get this one/these ones back on the workbench! :thumbsup:

I will make one just for you izzi! Probably won't make any beyond that though (doubt the plaster will survive). I planned on just two for me, but if you want one, I'll make you one!

• Like 1

Don't worry guys, haven't forgotten about this thing!! Been focusing on the TFU Shadow (which is done for now) and getting the EVO rebuilt. Got a couple other things I want to finish up before I get back to it. Pretty soon I'll get this one/these ones back on the workbench! :thumbsup:

I will make one just for you izzi! Probably won't make any beyond that though (doubt the plaster will survive). I planned on just two for me, but if you want one, I'll make you one!

Uh.... YES!!! :D

• 6 months later...

Welp finally got back to this thing. Did a little sanding on one of the arms and the big shoulder bell. Very soon I'll get the ridges made up on the sculpt (I have a little more sanding to do).

Shock%20sanding_zps1zo08bpa.jpg

Shock%20Arms_zpsqimlyerj.jpeg

Fivezero

• 3 months later...

Progress!

While the Seatrooper bucket is printing out, I got the helmet for this ready to go! I started off by "shelling" it by taking the copying/pasting the geometry and scaling it down slightly to fit inside. This way the 3D printer doesn't print out a solid chunk for a helmet. Even though I won't wear this helmet, it helps saves time and material when printing.

Shock%201_zpsvrhc7hzn.png

I was originally going to combine the helmet half above with another half, but decided against since I'm going to have to cut it in half later anyway. I just have to remember to mirror the parts. :P Here it is on the print bed, needs to be cut into smaller chunks.

Shock%203_zpsi5lwxwdy.png

And here's the final cuts, nine chunks per half (18 total). About 3 hours per chunk, 54 hours total to print. :) While this is printing though, I can work on the Seatrooper bucket and get it prepped for molding or other projects.

Shock%204_zpsn3jrgkoh.png

Fivezero