JK II Shadowtrooper Helmet Sculpt

Hey thanks guys! Unfortunately the beautiful looking helmet had to be uglified today. Sanded it down to see all the little bumps and indents so I could fill them. All that paint worked great though!! Protected the plaster so I didn't accidentally gouge it with my finger nail or something.

DSCF0010_zpsxphqymr2.jpg

Soon, very soon, the molding will begin!

Fivezero

:D

Well here we go!

DSCF0016_zpsowmie6sq.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsbkfh6qub.jpg

Oh yeah also found these things at the hardware store the other day, looks like they'll work for the mic tip screens on this trooper!

DSCF0003_zps1rsaljf6.jpg

Just finished up the last coat of the good silicone (the thin, detail capturing stuff), in the morning I'll get the thicker silicone to strengthen the mold up. And then I'll leave it alone for a couple days and then get the mother mold made and get to work casting some helmets!

I can't believe this thing is finally done! Avoided even thinking about this helmet for a couple years and here it is being molded! What a fun project, thanks DE! :thumbsup:

Ty

• Like 1

So cool watching your process Ty. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Well guys got the mold done (including the mother mold) the last couple days. Everything has come full circle too :P

Started with something with no features at all...

DSCF0011_zpsbae33729.jpg

Added the details and features...

DSCF0016_zpsowmie6sq.jpg

And now we're back to a featureless helmet (well the mold)... :)

photo_zpsaum6zl2q.jpg

Anyway I'm going to start casting them up today, will post pictures of the casts soon! I've got enough resin to maybe do three, definitely two though! And Steve, no problem man!! This was a wonderful challenge that I kinda never really considered doing ever... But I learned some great tricks to get this sculpt done, so I thank you for poking me about it!! :D

Fivezero

Hey Steve! Sorry about the lack of updates (been stupid, crazy busy).

The casting did not come out good at all...... It is a very horrendously ugly abomination. Basically I didn't have enough silicone around the back and it tore as I demolded the sculpt... I decided to go ahead and try to cast a helmet but it was bad. I had a backup plan anyway. :)

image_zpsu5pvrhiz.jpeg

I have some thicker plastic that arrived yesterday (I also made a few adjustments to get a crisper helmet), so hopefully tomorrow I can get some helmets made up for you Steve . :thumbsup:

Fivezero

Turn those into a pair of shoulder bells ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Alright finally got this off the shelf after the halftrack madness. I fixed a few things on the sculpt that should make everything go a little smoother. I'm going to do some new pulls this weekend, hopefully everything should work out and you can finally have this helmet DE. :)

Shadowtrooper%20Helmet_zpsocmqctr9.jpeg

Fivezero

Alright vac-forming take two! Had a bit more success this time, still have some things to dial in. Otherwise I'm pleased with how it's looking.

e4277f63-e254-4a00-a74f-46793b15eb0b_zpspevwwir1.jpg

Fivezero

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread! My first goal before I work on any new troopers for myself, is getting this dang helmet done for DE. Unfortunately my previous sculpt was a tad too small and I was having a couple issues with vacuum forming the front of the helmet. So scrapping the old sculpt and starting a new one...

SO I got to work on a new 3D model. The original game model is, well, a little lacking. So I've been doing some modifications to the original model to prep it for 3D printing. I'll still have to some work after it's printed, but this is a better starting point than the game model. So here's where I'm at!

S9Zj5D3.png

I still have some tweaks to do as well as modelling the frown. Other than that it looks like I'll begin printing it out this week!

Fivezero

Thanks Steve! Here's some more progress for ya. Got the final tweaks done to the model, and split it between a front piece and back piece and added some thickness to the model.

IAZfmI5.png

Then I split the two main pieces into smaller pieces to fit on my print bed. Everything looks good, so first thing tomorrow I'll get the 3D printer running! :)

cafEZZV.png

Fivezero

I am always excited to see what you come up with and create! I feel like your builds are my favorite tv show and these are part of the new season! Keep up the great work bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, you heard right.. Here's the start!

uhtb7qi.jpg

Here it is compared to old helmet, I made it about 12% bigger and it made a huge difference.

CjC30d4.jpg

zXn2OFN.jpg

And then there's that moment where you forget to hit "mirror part" and accidentally print an extra piece...

0sNxiDZ.jpg

Fivezero

Hands down, the best thing I've bought man. I LOVE this machine, printed all kinds of stuff from parts for scale tank models all the way up to full helmets and blasters! (And I stole it for $150 on Ebay...) It is so much more accurate and easier than pepakura + cardstock.

Anyways I ran out of filament, will have some more coming tomorrow so I can back to printing out the helmet. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have an update! Been busy getting the helmet printed! Finished the last piece last night.

dKK5sL9.jpg?1

And then I started getting it all glued together!

npyo7ga.jpg?1

Tomorrow I'll finished gluing it all together, then it'll get a coat of fiberglass resin to reinforce the inside. Then I'll sand and shape the outside to make it all nice and smooth! Then add the details! :thumbsup:

Fivezero