Flametrooper Armor Build

• 1 month later...

Hey future Flametroopers!

I'm getting back on track with the armor build for you all (sorry it has been awhile). My new toy is going to help keep forward momentum on this project (it's a 3D printer). I still have a few things to print before I get to this build, but in the mean time I'm getting everything prepared to print.

First up the shoulder bell!!

Flame%201_zpsvpjpiv04.png

Here it is on the printer bed (in the program). Unfortunately, 16 hours is WAY too long for the size of this piece and way too much support material is needed (all the blue stuff).

Flame%202_zpscmqfrgfl.png

So I cut it into three manageable pieces.

Flame%203_zpsjtvuofl0.jpg

And voila, we have reduced each section to a three-ish hour print (three sections, 9 hours total) and no support material needed to print either. :)

Flame%204_zpstbcg2bwi.jpg

I'm finishing up printing on the Aquatic Assault Trooper helmet right now. That'll be done Friday night, so I should get started on printing the shoulder bell this Saturday (hopefully have it done too!). While that's printing I'll work on making the biceps up (no 3d printing here). The forearms will probably be 3D printed as well, maybe the handplates too... The big pieces of armor will probably still be made using pepakura, it'll be easier/quicker than waiting 60 hours to print. Some stuff will also be likely made out of flat plastic and formed by hand to the shape needed (such as some of the thigh armor pieces). I'll keep you guys posted on this project.

Fivezero

:D

• Like 1

yes!!!! I will be getting my printer hopefully shortly, would you be willing to share the files or perhaps a collaboration to have the files printed?

Either way looking forward to your progress...

• Like 1

I'd definitely be willing to throw the files up for you, not a problem! Just do take note, I'm only really 3D printing the smaller bits of armor (like the shoulder), so not everything will be there. But I'll post up what files I do end up preparing and printing. :thumbsup: Right now that includes; hand plates, forearms, cod plate, butt plate (maybe), main thighs (maybe, might be a bit too large, may scratch build them) and the shins (main pieces and little pieces). The plan is to use these to make sculpts and either mold/cast them or vacuum form them and provide some kits for you guys. :)

As for the shoulder bell, had a couple hours this morning so went ahead and started printing it...

DSCF0009_zpsmwchuxs7.jpg

Fivezero

• Like 3

I'd definitely be willing to throw the files up for you, not a problem! Just do take note, I'm only really 3D printing the smaller bits of armor (like the shoulder), so not everything will be there. But I'll post up what files I do end up preparing and printing. :thumbsup: Right now that includes; hand plates, forearms, cod plate, butt plate (maybe), main thighs (maybe, might be a bit too large, may scratch build them) and the shins (main pieces and little pieces). The plan is to use these to make sculpts and either mold/cast them or vacuum form them and provide some kits for you guys. :)

As for the shoulder bell, had a couple hours this morning so went ahead and started printing it...

DSCF0009_zpsmwchuxs7.jpg

Fivezero

That's still a fantastic start with all those files (potentially), can't wait to have more progression!

• Like 1

Alright guys, here's the full shoulder bell printed out! Unfortunately it looks a bit too short to me, what do you guys think? No matter what I'm printing out another "middle" section that I lengthened just to see what looks better.

vsWNcyn.jpg

And about how long it'll be with the new middle piece.

kW7jcMQ.jpg

Fivezero

• Like 1

what are you printing out in ABS, PLA? ABS will shrink some and as for size I'm guessing it's relative to your own body size really but that is looking suhweet!

what are you printing out in ABS, PLA? ABS will shrink some and as for size I'm guessing it's relative to your own body size really but that is looking suhweet!

Eh don't worry about it now, the whole 3D model was slightly out of proportion and needed to be a bit longer, and my new mid-piece took care of that. It's definitely a smaller shoulder bell compared to say a TK shoulder, but version one was too short. It's tricky because I'm a big guy so I can't make this stuff too big or it will look weird on everyone else (I'm not actually making myself a suit, this is all for you guys). It's all fixed now, so don't worry! Now for some good old sanding and body filler. :)

I also got a new helper....

0XVOxm1.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to move on to the biceps and maybe the forearms! The handplates look like they're the Stormtrooper handplates without having the little indent painted black.

tOBGnye.png

I'll keep you guys updated!

Fivezero

Future Flametroopers, today I got a start on printing the forearm! The whole thing should be done printing by tonight (like at midnight....). It's going to need some work to make it look perfect and I gotta add some details, but it'll be a good base to sculpt on top of. :thumbsup:

3zkttJ3.jpg

Tomorrow, if all goes well tonight, the thighs will start getting printed!

Fivezero

Exciting stuff Ty. Are you planning on printing the forearm details as well?

Forearm details will be printed! At least the main box by the wrist, the other stuff I'll probably scratch build. Anyways here's the raw forearm! It'll be good base to sculpt over, I've got some minor corrections to make to the shape, but after that then it'll get the detail stuff. :)

eFexvpv.jpg

And thigh part 1 of 18 is on the printer right now!

Fivezero

• Like 3

I can start to picture this coming together more, and I'm invigorated!

• Like 2

Did a little messing around on the forearms, day dreaming mostly right now. After having difficulty finding any pictures of the inside of the forearms, I found what I needed looking around the stormtrooper CRL. And after a confirmation from Toddo, the details are the exact same between the two troopers (the forearms themselves are still different). That stuff will be easy to make. I'll make a forming buck out of some wood for the little box at the wrist of the armor. The little scope rail detail, I'll probably draw up, 3D print, mold then cast it or modify the little scope rail I have on hand.

ocd6lfa.jpg

7qGKOIo.png

First day of printing on the right thigh, I may switch gears and use some pepakura to do these guys.

jSSFva3.jpg

I also made some templates too..... I made a real quick bicep out of plastic and it's close, just needs some more tweaking. I also have the belt and ab/kidney piece figured out. Nothing exciting to show, just a 3-3/8" rectangle really. The boxes on both pieces I'll cut out of wood to then vacuum form.

i9OLUsK.jpg

4MGK30O.jpg

Other than that, I'm probably going to drop printing the thighs and move to pepakura, they're just a bit too big overall. The shins are right on the edge for me, I don't think those will take too long really. Otherwise, tomorrow I'm going to start getting the cod plate printed out!

Fivezero

• Like 1

All the silicone molds should be dried by today so i can make a resin prototype to check the shipping price Jim 😀 there's a part that i need to print again because its a bit inaccurate though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's today's progress guys!

Cod plate, need to add the indents, won't take long.

8Rd5iIu.jpg

Started on the butt plate, still got 4 more pieces to print. I hope to get those done tomorrow.

fegrfCy.jpg

Also got the thighs prepped for pepakura. I hope to at least get them printed out tomorrow (I'm talking cardstock now :P), maybe start cutting them out and folding them. Wednesday or Thursday I'll brush on the resin. Hopefully by the weekend I will be pouring plaster. :)

cPwjUsr.png

6Ti52BK.png

After the butt plate is done, it's on to the shins for the 3D printer, then that's it for 3D printed parts really. While the shins are going I'll get the chest and back ready to pour plaster. I'm aiming for the end of next week to be ready to start sanding everything to shape, add the details and get ready for vacuum forming. :thumbsup: The master plan is to hopefully have everything tweaked and ready to go by the end of March (maybe sooner depending on how it all goes) and start pumping kits out.

Fivezero

• Like 2