GattiRenata's Shadow Scout build - advice much appreciated

Batting wise... depends on how thick yours is.

I only use a single layer, but it is relatively thick. If you wanted a more distinct padded section you could always double it up in that area.

If you get any problems with the glue not sticking to the plastic that holds your velcro patches down, then just get a bit of sand paper and give the area a bit of a rub. This will 'key' the plastic and give the glue something to grab.

Toddo haha thank you!!!

It definitely seems like it will be a much faster build than my tk was! So that's pretty exciting!!!

Not sure I'll be able to do much today because I need to stop at Home Depot to get drill bits and some other stuff!

Chef!i posted so many pics and forgot to post the one I promised Hahahah

Here

992e5b0fecb02733316580b796150758.jpg

Close up of the ribs

47c62d8a89b1393ab5039e19c2ca1bc1.jpg

And one of the crotch detail.

They are there and visible but not as puffy.

What you think?!?

The batting I got is for quilting. So it's basically one thickness I think. I've never seen batting intended for anything else at the stores I usually shop. But if needed be I can double it up!

Let me know what you guys think!

Thank you sooooi much for the help!

You guys rock!

• Like 1

Well, they're visible and that's all that really counts to be honest.

You should be able to get varying thickness of quilt wadding, say 2oz, 4oz, 6oz etc. Can't remember off hand how thick mine is. It's not like a winter duvet, but it's not thin either.

Oh duh! You are right! They prob do around here as well and I just didn't pay attention to that!

Silly me!

I'll make some tests this weekend with doubling it up. Maybe I'll do it just on the stripes.

I also read people did 1" stripes. I made them a little smaller otherwise the pouches would be under my armpits Hahahha

But now with being just 5 I can totally do 1" each.

Chef!i went through you helmet build on your site and I found another one as well.omg I'm so glad I didn't glue anything last night!

So the visor is glued to the front?!?

The top is glued to the back?!?

Then both pieces bolted together on the top area that is clearly marked...

Right?!? That's it?!?

I feel it's so much simpler and easier than my tk helmet that I have that weird feeling I'm doing something wrong. 😳

Chef's site helped me tremendously, so you are in good hands there. Personally I find a TK helmet easier to build because of the seam on the scout helmet. Does SC not have a visible seam to fill?

Toddo nope! I honestly would have died if that was the case. I've seen that and I was shaking in fear Hahahah I wouldn't be able to do a perfect seam ever!!!!

Lol

SC helmet comes in 4 pieces! Back, top, face and visor.

It also came with everything to make the chin strap. But that's it!

My tk ears were the end of me. :(

Thank goodness for my garrison peeps.

We had a party at my COs house and I brought it up there and the guys finished it for me.

:)

This one seems so much simpler.

I was going to glue it! I felt super brave! But since no one has confirmed here that I'm right on what to glue to what I lost my courage. Hahahha

Gonna wait a bit longer.

I gotta be at work at 7am tomorrow and I just got home so I'm gonna do my best to not touch it tonight!

Lol

I haven't built an SC helmet, so I would hate to steer you incorrectly. I have an MLC helmet that I bought already built and I built one of Chef's beauties. Hopefully one of the folks with SC experience will pipe-up with some help.

There is an SC document (somewhere) that includes complete instructions on assembly of armor and helmets. I will dig around and locate that for you. In the mean time, check out this link. I believe this was an "early" SC creation. But the detail should help you.

http://kimncris.com/...scouthelmet.php

And here's a link on BSN where Jeff (from SC) describes the new helmet, with pics. It may help too.

http://forum.bikersc...creations&st=80

This is another decent link on BSN.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=12816&st=0&p=112588&hl=+studio%20+creations%20+helmet&fromsearch=1entry112588

Hope this helps!

My tk ears were the end of me. :(

I think I spent more time on my TX ears than anything else. Trimming, boiling, shaping, retrimming, reboiling, reshaping. I was being super anal about not having a gap. Definitely a time I would not look forward to repeating, lol.

They are awful aren't they?!? Those ears!!!!

And to make things worse for me I had no idea they were left and right o.O so OF COURSE!!!!!!! I put the first one completely on the wrong side and battled with it for day because it didn't fit properly and the gaps were huge!

Of course they were. It was the WRONG SIDE!

But even the right one was leaving a gap! :/

AAARRRGG!

Alright guys! Some little progress tonight!!!!

I was brave and glued the helmet

Visor to front

f630ca1d3116b5b4821bbf0becc2c1eb.jpg

Top to back

a1e0a7744a33adfbb560ed252c3ad750.jpg

Clamped/earth magnet everything and now just gotta wait!!!!

I also sanded the belt and it the holes for the straps! Geez that was annoying. I didn't want to use the cutting thingie on my dremel cause it scares me... But there was no other way!

And thank goodness for the little skinny filing things I got last time. They worked great to sand the hole.

(Forgot to take a pic! Lol)

I taped the chest to the back to measure and see how much I had to cut off.

I will take a picture of it to see what you guys think of where the armor sits on my to see if I need to bring it up some more. I'm so that over the weekend.

I also sanded and rounded the edges just a tiny bit.

I worked on the shoulder bells the exactly same way from Pandas tutorial. But they were a bit too long for my so I trimmed off 1/2"

cc39ee2b3b9ff7e2368132693db65d16.jpg

I always put a tape, marking the line to cut to be sure! Lol

33e952f8388bc4700a35af182c7a0b69.jpg

07454fb0ffd6abe317a68c48b8e8385a.jpg

And then I glued the top piece to the tank.

17d13f32e4b36d5f08ca74f15ffb083b.jpg

I want to do that L bracket from pandas tutorial but I don't have black abs. Just white.

I don't think it will be seen at all! When the top is dried I'll try it out and but if it's an issue I'll have to paint it cause I have no clue how to attach the tank using any other method!

That was all for today!

Wait, those are upside-down. Just kidding ;) Such a fun build to watch. Usually it's when I dream about a costume that I feel compelled to build it. Clearly that has happened way too often, so that gives you an idea of how much I dream about this stuff.

Omg my heart FROZE! DUUUUUUUDE!!!! Don't do this to me!!!!!!!!

O.o

Yes! I am obsessed! Hahahha

And I am loving working on this! It's a bummer I have to work all day Hahahah otherwise I'd work on it every day all day long!

So!

I'm still working on the helmet. Put on the lenses, cause I figured it would be easier to do it before the front and back are attached.

110581606f3bc61da79d4d78b71fbf5c.jpg

Blobs of hot glue! That's what I've seen most people doing.

I made big blobs! Really afraid if they are smaller the lenses would just fall off!

Oooh and I have no idea if makes a difference in this case or not but... I lightly sanded the area around the eyes (on the inside) then wiped off the dust with rubbing alcohol. Just to make sure the hot glue would really adhere to it. On my tk the mesh on the inside came off a few times (attached with blobs of hot glue as well!)

So I figured I'd try something different this time.

Also I almost freaked out here. Totally the reason why I was having nightmares I guess.

I glued the visor to the front and on one side, the side edge of the visor met the side of the face completely. But on the other side the face was around 1/4" bigger. O.o

I didn't take pictures. I forgot in the middle of my freak out.

But this is the area I'm taking about (but in this picture it's fixed already)

3e4a51b4b567feecfa742b179656c57b.jpg

I was afraid I glued it wrong and somehow not centered, and that's why it was different.

I got home from work and sat down again to look at it and noticed there was a line, probably where it should be trimmed.

I put back and front together and it wasn't marching because of that extra area so I took a deep breath and BAM! Cut that baby off! Lol

Damn!!!!

Will trimming EVER stop being scary????

Now it sits much better on the other half but when I was about to screw it together I looked into the bag and saw these for the first time!

db507e4a392393c9f286826c96b8316c.jpg

Omg omg what do I do with these?????????

Please somebody help!!!

It seems like a super large hole I'll have to drill to make this fit in there (scary too)

Please help!

Iso while I wait here for your help I'm going to cut all the slots, glue velcros where they need to go so tomorrow I will see all the other Velcro parts to their respective elastic!!!! :)

Oh! I'm off tomorrow! Yeeey!

Gonna work on it all day long!

:).

Hi griffin! Thanks! But the problem is is still have NO CLUE what to do with these 3M bolts!

:(

I don't want to buy another set of bolts and still have no clue how to install them!

are the round top thingie supposed to be grey like the biker scouts?

I'm home today which is great! I allowed myself to stay in bed until 9am hahah and then got back to work!

Finished putting the tank!

87013f0fe576c0bd33aafce05343b9dc.jpg

Jeff trimmed it so nicely this the are no big gaps at all

ce5d66fe124a53987646128066424094.jpg

Looks nice right?!?

And it's exactly the same in both sides so I'll just post one pic! Lol

Last night I glued all the Velcro on the upper arm, forearm, knee... I forgot to do it on the shoulder hahah gonna do it now!

The pieces are not "too" big on me over the flightsuit but still a bit big.

So I heated the upper arm and forearm and curved it a little more closer to my size.

The forearm is quite big tho. It could use a good trim. But I'm afraid of trimming into details. So I just did a tiny bit on the very very edge. Less than 3/8" on each side! A total of 5/8" on each piece.

19ce78c1a6dc5bd6cfe773304a012294.jpg

Then I heated and curved a bit more to my arm.

Much better now.

I'll take pics after I sew the Velcro to the straps!

I'm setting everything up so I can have all the pieces that need to be sewn and do it at one go!

What's annoying is that I keep forgetting the sizes of straps and elastic to every piece hahah

I made notes of course and keep it here but every time I have to look up again cause I forget.

They couldn't make anything easy for us and do all one size huh?!?

Nooooo!

Hahaha

Well, you drill a hole and put the bolt through the visor/helmet. :)

The 3M bolts are made of plastic, so you can trim it down to be more like a screw, than a squared/screw. Or, you can drill a hole and square it off, if you want to go that route. I'd just trim the 3M and hook it up. Something like this:

mlc-scout-helmet4_zpszbylchmg.jpg

mlc-scout-helmet3_zpsv77x1npd.jpg

mlc-scout-helmet2_zpslz0qcbqo.jpg

Ok so, silly me I finally unscrew the little bits and what I thought it was a meta washer is actually attached to the nut. (I was like damn why do I need a big plastic washer and a little metal one and where do they go in that order!?? Lol)

Then the square part. Why is it square. Geez lol

9f7e6bdac818c6561d9a890fb8782df4.jpg

So that's what got me confused as well cause I was wondering if I had to cut a square hole to fit that one inside.

So thanks griffin! The answer is yes. So weird tho.

I may just get the other one because I don't want to cut a square :/

Aaww and I wanted to finish the helmet his weekend! Now gonna have to wait!

In the mean time tho lots of progress here.

I made the black strap of fabric for the shoulder, the T straps following pandas tutorial.

And here it is

f563c21a6aee8669836895f1f57dcc18.jpg

087bbfa0669ab7e53b87e352624e7831.jpg

bc80b1ec454712f1f0f1b42a37adfe88.jpg

I also riveted the elastic on the knee. Had t heat it up a bit and close it up like I did with the forearm!

34c4f85047f5ded5a9a6608d55384795.jpg

I realized it don't have cotton webbing for the drop boxes and 1" elastic. So I ordered those!

Thank goodness for Amazon prime. I'll get it by Sunday! :)

Going to work on the new cumberbatch now! :P

Thanks!!!

It was def a good day of work!

But now I'm done for today!

I've been literally working on this for almost 12 hours!

Wow!

So besides sewing all the Velcro and finishing up putting the elastic on the arm, forearm, knee, doing the T straps and and cotton straps for the shoulders, attaching the tank to the back plate, I also made the flak vest

4db6d716ba40626fcfb395c2759a1fb2.jpg

And finished the new cumberbatch with 5 ribs on the front instead of 6 as suggested by chef!!!!

42c7735b950767d7397ae3cba81bff7b.jpg

I also realized I don't have 2" Velcro and I was told it needs to be that size for the cumberbatch!

Same size for the vest I assume?!?

Now time to go relax a bit!!!!!