Jeditid's Flametrooper Build WIP

So the weight of the tanks is now 5kg, and theres the rear "expansion tanks" and the bottom piping and final "drain off" section to do, a bit of final finishing and spraying etc and I'll be done. So I reckon 2/3 weeks hopefully.

The tanks are 700mm - 28" from top bar to bottom pipe so should fit nicely.

Let me know your thoughts guys - please :) as this is my first ever scratch built anything - so enjoying it so far !

26701689744_98c9337b9e_b.jpgDSC_0414 by jeditid1973, on Flickr

27033804580_2c10772f7e_b.jpgDSC_0415 by jeditid1973, on Flickr

So the weight of the tanks is now 5kg...Let me know your thoughts guys - please :) as this is my first ever scratch built anything - so enjoying it so far !

Sounds heavy ;)

But seriously, it looks awesome. What's that, 11lbs to put on your back...it sounds like a lot, but it looks so great it is probably worth it.

Once it's strapped on and attached to the suit I reckon it'll be ok. The bar at the Base of the back of the suit will take the weight mostly. Cheers though

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So armour ordered today from Kevin Brice. Flamethrower currently in construction, from Kevin Merritt, I also have TFA boots and gloves. And the tanks are closer still.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm called these 95% done now, just waiting on flex wrap for hose, have pneumatic hose already and then pipe collars to attach below the tanks.

Then I can start on my armour and work out the tank attachment.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57a3199041634/DSC_0676.JPG

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57a319a20c750/DSC_0669.JPG

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57a319b0d3ecb/DSC_0671.JPG

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57a319bee8ac0/DSC_0674.JPG

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57a319cd5a692/DSC_0675.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

So extended the shoulders to allow the neck to come down. Plus made the rear tank bracket and finished the tanks this weekend.

Also started on the harness for it all.

• Like 1
So extended the shoulders to allow the neck to come down. Plus made the rear tank bracket and finished the tanks this weekend. Also started on the harness for it all. Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It's really coming together nicely, great work so far! Btw, I have updated your profile and provided 501st access. :)

• Like 1

Looks really stellar Mark. Are you employing your full harness prototype?

Yes I should have the pinch clips arriving today and I've got 2" webbing and some shoulder padding to go around it.

I also added the two bolts to the back plate last night to see if that would hold the tanks on its own - and yes it does, so by the time we also have the waist band it'll be solid.

I've just started putting filler on the shoulder joints - where I lengthened them, so once that's done I can cut them from the back plate.

That just leaves the straps to be attached via bolts to the back plate and then joined to the waistband and it'll sit lovely. The weight sits perfectly on the tank rest on the waist and the shoulder straps just pull it to vertical and stop it strangling you. Felt really comfy just sat on the waist band the other night - so with the shoulder straps it'll be fine.

Off to see my seamstress tonight who's going to make the gaskets and sew and integrate them direct to my one piece undersuit so one less thing to worry about. I can then go about sizing all the arms and thighs correctly to ensure there's a snug fit around them.

I do think that the tanks, connecting them and making it comfy and strong on the suit is key to it all.

But it's great using Clint's build and Rob - Deadman's build as reference has helped. Hopefully my work on the tanks helped them - I think the MLC kit is undersize if I am honest - interestingly they look size according to the Disney Die cast model I have - whereas mine were sized with the Anaheim and Disney suits as best we could. So they are bit - but once in armour I think will look really great.

Anyway - onwards and upwards and looking forward to a weekend of building :)

I agree about the sizing of the MLC tanks. Being 5'9", I feel like they are perfect for me. I don't have my bracket yet, but it seems like my tanks will sit properly there.

Are you able to put your vertical straps on your shoulders with the chest attached? I'd love to be able to put this on as one piece, but I'm having trouble envisioning how.

I had another go yesterday and still dont have the pinch clips I ordered for the shoulder straps. So tried everything on and attached the backplate first and just lifted it over my head.

Worked a treat !! so am seriously considering keeping the front and back plate attached now. It's so much more solid and dont want to split it if I dont have to.

I have enough room I think to pull the straps tight still, but we'll see when I get that sorted. Also it sat really nice on my back and the weight wasnt too bad.

I've also finished (apart from 2 buckles) the back plate with the black matting and straps and I started putting the forearms together too.

So again a few more evenings this week and I'll post some more photos for progress. So happy the backplate is done and the tanks are fitted - I think the rest is reasonably straight forward now.

So got the harness sorted tonight and it fits like a dream. Comfy on the shoulders and all the weight is on the straps not the armour.

7c3e554f50adb026531ac11b93acea2a.jpg4f1a3b686f9f5a6087185548b8b25ddd.jpg40f89589dcc8e1898cc59f61dde619bb.jpgc711b49361d3051f29dbd4ff3234184b.jpg1b0bb9faca34c185a325821339e3a513.jpgbdfb871277ee5d10195b37496a0bbdd5.jpg

So with the backplate done I'm going to leave this front and back plate connected. The chest flaps will hide any of the pinch clips that may show and so now it's time to sort out the arms and legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for posting these photos Mark. I can get my head around the harness now and how to keep everything one piece for easy in/out during troops. Well-done!

• Like 1

so now seeing these photos I'm going to take about an inch off the ab plate top so the chest sits directly above the curve on the ab plate - with no gaps. That means it'll move up slightly so will need to make the same adjustment on the tank holder at the rear and drop it down again.

Then may need to thin down the lower belt too and move it up. Think I'm also going to join the ab and belt with a couple of bits of elastic so they are as one and wont slide around. You wont see this when it's all on with an undersuit and the rest of the belt.