Camprandall's Flametrooper Build

Almost there! I'll be done either tomorrow or Tuesday night and then I head out of town for vacation for two weeks.

The tank paint job came out much better the third try, but not as clean as I'd ideally like. It's workable though. Eventually I might do LEDs for the red areas, but not this go around.

20160828_143345_zpssuiguhr4.jpg

I also attached the butt flaps. I decided to attach them with a couple thin painted strips of abs, the same I used to attach the ab armor to the belt armor. If I feel it's too rigid or I get enough armor bite, I might change to elastic. I didn't want to go velcro because that seemed to hard to control placement.

20160826_100903_zpseu44cx8x.jpg

Lastly, I finally found some parts that reasonably replicates the feel of the hose attachment. I'm going with it for now.

20160828_162013_zpsjalrruhv.jpg

• Like 2

Ok gang, I'm about done with this and out on vacation. I thought I post a few pics. All that's missing is the thigh/capsule strap (which is done but I forgot to put it on), and the 4 white tubes on the back of the tank (which are also done). I then have a half dozen tweaks I'd like to make, a small part to repaint, etc. I'm looking forward to a week and a half away from this thing. ;)

In the meantime, is there anything here Todd that you think I need to adjust for approval purposes? I know the CRL is not quite done, but there's a lot of ambiguity in some of the tank details we know so it's a little tough.

20160831_072035_zpsxnt8afna.jpg

20160831_072143_zps0l7ppann.jpg

20160831_072113_zps0zxuwnuu.jpg

• Like 1

For reference, here's what's left to do. Nothing significant at all.

• Attach thigh strap and capsules (this is done, but I forgot to put it on)
  • Attach 4 white tubes to the back of the tank (also done)
  • Add two vertical straps between the harness and belt in front to pull the armor forward a little bit
  • Shorten the shoulder bells a bit more
  • Paint little connector black that joins to the smaller tank

That's inspirational Clint. I can see that the chest is pulling-up too far, and I read that you are planning on fixing that. I'd love to see your harness setup without the chest at some point if you are able to do that. Overall you are looking tops though!

• Like 1

Yeah, I really wish I had taken good pics of the under harness before heading out of town, but it was a little crazy. Here is a side view in progress. Ignore the rare earth magnets on the back. I basically riveted the harness to a piece of abs, added three chicago screws to the back plate, and then heavily glued the harness plate to the back plate which holds everything together and keeps the chicago screws solidly in place.

20160829_071702_zpsehr3vgml.jpg

Here are the reinforced notches for the chicago screws.

45396429-0f88-41b1-844a-d4e80ad385b1_zpsfqr9cquk.jpg

I'm using a heavy work belt for the thighs and will also have two adjustable straps from the front of the harness to the belt so that will keep the chest down nicely without putting any pressure on the chest.

• Like 2

I used Loctite plastic weld (Home Depot), but I still had to use glazing putty to give it a nice finish so cracking is still possible. I think the key is putting a nice thick band of ABS underneath it so that flex is very minimal, at least on the parts where it's possible.

Ok, after a little two week break out of town, I'm finalizing some pieces in preparation for CRL pics and finishing this thing off. Here's what I've done so far.

I added some screw details around the tanks generally in the area where they appear to be. It really gives it more of a "real part" look.

20160913_210555_zpsoya6zu9x.jpg

20160913_210600_zps4047zjn6.jpg

I modified my back brace to be a bit more detailed like Mark's because I like the straps and the more cut out effect. Since the toy is the only thing we have at all to go on and we want a pic for this in the CRL, I figured it best to have something that looks closer to some kind of reference instead of largely made up.

20160915_075547_zpsgx1yjwid.jpg

I added the under tank chain.

20160913_210538_zpsm5goawib.jpg

I added the opaque/white tubing details, which also adds a feel of authenticity to the thing. I didn't attach the bottoms permanently though because I'd like to get better shots of what that small undertank connection looks like before committing to it.

20160914_195036_zps9cx0jpue.jpg

20160914_200731_zpsl5mwlbwl.jpg

• Like 2