DM's Flame Trooper build

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2016 at 2:34 PM, DeadMan said:

Finally put my shins together using Clints method, and it works wonderfully! They are now ready for final trimming.

Thanks Clint for the wonderful idea :)

Glued side.

leg_assem_01_2.jpg

Inserted side.

leg_assem_02_2.jpg

leg_assem_04_2.jpg

I only used the trim part from the calf-half as a spacer, then I used some 1/8 inch thick ABS as the overlap part. I should mention that because the 1/8 inch ABS is so thick, I pre-form it to the contours of the part it's getting glued to. Just bend it slightly at each curve and it fits and works a treat.

Gives a wonderfully tight fit that probably doesn't even need a Velcro strap inside, but as Clint did, I will add one to be on the safe side.

I made it a 1/2 inch insertable part - so when you are trimming, keep in mind to leave an extra 1/2 inch on the calf-half inside-seam for sliding into the new groove.

leg_assem_03_2.jpg

Hi guys! I have ben trying to locate Clint's shin build, but to no avail - I have a general idea of how to do this last piece of my costume, but just wanted to see how you are getting them on and off, is it simply a velcro system like a TK (but on the side) and the other side is glued to a tab behind?

Thanks!

Hi Tom, just checked out your build thread, looks awesome!

(Sorry can't quote... not sure how this new  (to me) fandangled quote system works yet)

Yes, one side is glued together. The other side opens so we can get our feet through - getting the foot through at the ankle area is the problem.

Although they do close-up pretty tightly, they will eventually slide apart, so I did end up putting a strip of velcro inside on the upper side, but not  onlyto hold the shin together, but to hold the ribbed gasket in place - this also helps to hold the shin closed, and has been enough and has caused no issues.

I stuck the hook side of the velco to the shin, and the fuzzy side to the gasket. I leave the entire leg section as one piece now, and only need to pop open the very bottom of the shin at the ankle a bit to get my foot through.

Hope this helps :)