Mark's Death Trooper Build

Great job on the buckles Mark! Keep it coming :D Btw Mark, are you guys talking about the shoulder straps when it comes to the rubber matting option? I haven't seen any rubber straps on the DT so far, unless you are referring to the gaskets...?

Btw, does anyone know if there will be a basic approval for the DT on the CRL? So far everything I've seen people give the green light on is more Centurion Level than anything (trying to find the exact material and no other options that are close). On the Kylo Ren CRL, we don't have exact replicas of any of the fabric, and the monks cloth 4x4 (versus the basket weave 3x3 on the actual robes) is approvable for basic. I'm not attacking anyone by any means :o Just really hoping we have a basic approval for "close enough" materials that can be made to work, I honestly can't afford the exact stuff or keep ordering things online :) I'm one of those poor chaps that has to settle for "close enough" on certain materials (not the armor though. That must be as SA as possible honestly)

Great job on the buckles Mark! Keep it coming :D Btw Mark, are you guys talking about the shoulder straps when it comes to the rubber matting option? I haven't seen any rubber straps on the DT so far, unless you are referring to the gaskets...?

Btw, does anyone know if there will be a basic approval for the DT on the CRL? So far everything I've seen people give the green light on is more Centurion Level than anything (trying to find the exact material and no other options that are close). On the Kylo Ren CRL, we don't have exact replicas of any of the fabric, and the monks cloth 4x4 (versus the basket weave 3x3 on the actual robes) is approvable for basic. I'm not attacking anyone by any means :o Just really hoping we have a basic approval for "close enough" materials that can be made to work, I honestly can't afford the exact stuff or keep ordering things online :) I'm one of those poor chaps that has to settle for "close enough" on certain materials (not the armor though. That must be as SA as possible honestly)

Thanks mate.

The matting discussion originally centred around the belt material which has been confirmed as being made from a fine fluted rubber mat with 3mm between the ribs and a triangular profile. It then spread to other parts of the soft armour .eg. The ribbed material that is around the abdomin and the shoulder straps. I am now less inclined to believe the shoulder straps are cut from a floor matting but rather some form of conveyor or timing belt. BTW I also think that the ribbed strip down the inside and outside of the thigh armour is also cut from some form of ribbed rubber matting but have not spent much time investigating that yet!

As far as the CRL is concerned it is being written with basic clearance in mind and a level 2 Clearance is already being established, the boots are an example of that. However, as with any costume where detailed images are available, and we have plenty of those, members of the collective working on the armour will be continually looking for the original this or that :) Even after the CRL is agreed with the legion we will still be developing new versions of it as more info becomes available.

For me, because I am a perfectionist (some say I'm anal), I am not racing to be the first DT but I want to try and be one of the most accurate so my build will be slow because I will be researching and hunting down the most accurate materials, etc. Before I get shot down for that statement I would like to point out that it I am not having a pop at anyone.

You provided some great input in the CRL discussion about the armour and I will be incorporating it soon. I have not had a great deal of time since coming back from vacation ;)

Thanks mate.

The matting discussion originally centred around the belt material which has been confirmed as being made from a fine fluted rubber mat with 3mm between the ribs and a triangular profile. It then spread to other parts of the soft armour .eg. The ribbed material that is around the abdomin and the shoulder straps. I am now less inclined to believe the shoulder straps are cut from a floor matting but rather some form of conveyor or timing belt. BTW I also think that the ribbed strip down the inside and outside of the thigh armour is also cut from some form of ribbed rubber matting but have not spent much time investigating that yet!

As far as the CRL is concerned it is being written with basic clearance in mind and a level 2 Clearance is already being established, the boots are an example of that. However, as with any costume where detailed images are available, and we have plenty of those, members of the collective working on the armour will be continually looking for the original this or that :) Even after the CRL is agreed with the legion we will still be developing new versions of it as more info becomes available.

For me, because I am a perfectionist (some say I'm anal), I am not racing to be the first DT but I want to try and be one of the most accurate so my build will be slow because I will be researching and hunting down the most accurate materials, etc. Before I get shot down for that statement I would like to point out that it I am not having a pop at anyone.

You provided some great input in the CRL discussion about the armour and I will be incorporating it soon. I have not had a great deal of time since coming back from vacation ;)

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Thank you for the speedy response :D Can't wait to see what you whip up, and I'll definately ask you about what is and isn't good looking in the future for my costume :) I actually am working on the legs right now! If my suggestions in the CRL were phrased in a confusing way and you need a more simplified version of it, feel free to contact me via pm :)

Also in regards to the ribbed material at the thighs. I am thinking that it is (or should be for sturdiness) backed by more plastic, which is what really joins the 2 halves together. The ribbed material for one looks real straight (no wrinkles), abd it would help it from ripping I think. I'm going with this approach, mainly due to keeping it all together in an organized format.

Also, new pics. http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/09/new-batch-of-rogue-one-stills-uncovered.html?m=1

Also in regards to the ribbed material at the thighs. I am thinking that it is (or should be for sturdiness) backed by more plastic, which is what really joins the 2 halves together. The ribbed material for one looks real straight (no wrinkles), abd it would help it from ripping I think. I'm going with this approach, mainly due to keeping it all together in an organized format.

Also, new pics. http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/09/new-batch-of-rogue-one-stills-uncovered.html?m=1

Yeah, that's a fair assumption and will definitely work :)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As far as the ribbed strips running up and down the thigh sections of the armor, I have a few ideas on how they can easily be replaced (be it either you need new ones, or you found more accurate rubber :D )

I remember talking to you about an idea I had for a plastic part connecting the front and back thigh armor's in the rubber strip areas, so that the rubber strips can stay straight with no wrinkles or possible tears. Well if you want to take the rubber off, you can either:

A. Velcro it to the plastic connecter. This would allow easy access.

B. Attach magnets of some sorts to the underside of the rubber matt (along with the plastic connecter).

What do you think Mark? I kind of like the first idea, only you risk having the rubber strips gradually peel away during a troop (due to maybe the guns or kids beating against it). This idea is mainly because I found some rubber matting at the store that would do for a first pass, but not 501st approval. And I would want to replace it eventually, so yeah...

As far as the ribbed strips running up and down the thigh sections of the armor, I have a few ideas on how they can easily be replaced (be it either you need new ones, or you found more accurate rubber :D )

I remember talking to you about an idea I had for a plastic part connecting the front and back thigh armor's in the rubber strip areas, so that the rubber strips can stay straight with no wrinkles or possible tears. Well if you want to take the rubber off, you can either:

A. Velcro it to the plastic connecter. This would allow easy access.

B. Attach magnets of some sorts to the underside of the rubber matt (along with the plastic connecter).

What do you think Mark? I kind of like the first idea, only you risk having the rubber strips gradually peel away during a troop (due to maybe the guns or kids beating against it). This idea is mainly because I found some rubber matting at the store that would do for a first pass, but not 501st approval. And I would want to replace it eventually, so yeah...

Is this regarding the horizontal ribs on the outer and inner thigh that run from the top to lower thigh?

My take is the ribbing is rubber and inset in the plastic thigh and or there is a break between the rubber horizontal ribbed sections.

On the inner thigh however, you can see where the user can step in and the lower thigh has this tab...(it's glued ugly on the back)but curves in under the front of the thigh. It's thick too.

Seeing this leads me to believe this is how they put them on, open and close design w some attachment point off that large chuck of curved plastic.

Thighs are held up via straps that peek out from the undersuit so that there is no visible strapping holding the thighs up.

If I'm completely off...don't mind me lol.

I should have a rubber coming in that may work for the thighs, we'll see once it arrives

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with Dave. When looking at the reference photos trying to understand the various different ribbed material I became convinced that the outer strip was rubber and is the to provide a degree of flexibility.

A quick update. This build is progressing slowly as I am procrastinating over the details. Details, details, details!!!!!

Anyway, here's how the handplate bucks are coming along:

20160912_224947_zpszftkj6ec.jpg

• Like 3

This little beauty showed up today :) Time to start modifying it to match the DT sidearm.

20160914_221149_zps19hkimka_edit_1473891339066_zps0vf3jlg6.jpg

Also found some really cheap donor gloves that I'm going to modify using some of the suede leather I have left over from doing my Scout.

20160914_231940_zpsrk5rts4l.jpg

• Like 1

DT HANDPLATES - what would you cast them in? Resin, silicone or something else?

My bucks have had a gloss coat to seal them and make them as smooth as possible ready for making a mould, but the type of mould will depend on the material used for the cast!? Ideas please?

Resin would be the best bet I think.

Thanks for the suggestion Reese.

Following on from my earlier post the handplates bucks had been glossed ready for creating a mould.

20160918_092439_zpsixom5awq.jpg

Then it was pointed out to me that the handplates have a similar slot in them to that which is found in the TFA handplates. Thanks for the info Dave.

2016-09-18 19.52.56_zps9ovmclom.png

2016-09-18 19.52.18_zpssvbyetg3.png

So out came the dremel.

20160918_120338_zpsyawqc4m4.jpg

I have also increased the width of them slightly as I realised that this area was not wide enough! Once I have completed sanding them back and re-glossing I have decided I am going to cast them in resin. Two reasons:

1) They will be extremely hard wearing and easily over paint able

2) silicone whilst flexible is not easy to paint onto so weathering would be a nightmare.

More updates to come.

• Like 1

I just saw something on the hand plates I have never noticed. If you look right underneath the bottom of the raised section, it looks like it has a different black paint along the bottom to give it a more highlighted look. It looks to be a matt black. They did the same thing to the helmet too (someone else pointed the helmet part out) to highlight a bunch of parts.

• Like 1