Apophis' Shadow Scout Build

Apophis

Small update... Installed my Holster today.... I did a few other small things (T-Bits, Tank Topper, TD greeblies and painted the tube)... More pics tomorrow...

Here's the holster (rivets still need painting...)

Holster_zps9iv5pcds.jpg

Holster2_zpsepsvunn9.jpg

Please tell me the holster is the most complicated part of the build..... because that thing was a pain to rivet...

More pics and hopefully more progress tomorrow...

*edited to fix typo*

Sharp looking boot! I had Chris make the parts for my white scout boots and he does excellent work. Not many more rivets left just the two for the belt straps. Just make sure your using a backing washer to keep the rivet from pulling out of the material.

• Like 1
You're always going to get washed out details on the Storm Commando, the whole black on black thing does take it's toll.

But then you are supposed to hide into the shadows!

I found using a satin paint job for the main armour and gloss detailing with the pin stripes, snout and decals helped a little bit. Not a huge amount, and they are still difficult to see unless you look closely, but it gave a little bit of a contrast.

Same goes for the bund/pouches. Try to use a different material between the two, one with a heavier weave or different surface texture. This will help create contrast and depth to your costume.

And for the suit and boots... The changes between the suede and cotton on the flight suit, the elastic straps, and the vinyl on the boots all add in these tiny details which stop the costume being a two dimensional black void.

It's all very subtle on the Commando, but that subtlety can really make or break it.

11204979_10153331209719553_5657886809744705611_n.jpg

They are without doubt the meanest trooper around.

It's funny, when out, even with BlackHole troopers, I get the "look, shiny black stormtroopers!... but I don't like that one... he looks evil!" (win!).

Chef what type of paint did you use? Was it an automotive type or just a standard "rattle" can? The paint finish in the pic looks really clean and smooth.

Sharp looking boot! I had Chris make the parts for my white scout boots and he does excellent work. Not many more rivets left just the two for the belt straps. Just make sure your using a backing washer to keep the rivet from pulling out of the material.

Thanks! The scout was what I wanted to start with, but other opportunities came up... So I'm really hoping to nail the shadow and move on to the TB after the learning pains are out of the way.

Chris does make great boots... Mine are a little wrinkled in the toe, I'm going to try to heat it up and smooth those down...

I didn't have any washers available so I used some scrap plastic I had sitting around. I drilled a hole in them just barely larger than the rivet (had to muscle the rivet through). If it eventually pulls through I'll repair it. I also put some elastic around the top to help stop the boot from sagging... Only time will tell if that works...

I'm picking up some washers today on my way home from work... Hope to finish the back, belt, forearms and biceps tonight... I'm really procrastinating on sewing the suede on my flight suit, my pouches, and flak vest lol..

The goal is to be complete and submitted by this time next week. That's the goal anyway... I don't know if it'll happen... It seems like the soft parts are what takes the longest on this costume... All the armor is pretty straightforward and shouldn't take much to get it all strapped.

The plastic washers work well and I used them on my TB build but I found out the hard way that for the boot the metal is better. That's because you're pulling your blaster in and out, bending down for the little ones and general moving about. I've had to repair my holster twice so far which is a pain in the tuchie.

The elastic is an excellent idea and a lot of scouts use it. If you're signed up for the Pathfinder detachment forum go and check out a build by PandaTrooper. His build has become the base for my build and many other scouts. Tons of good information in that post. Once you get this done the white armor will be a snap for you.

Keep posting pics take your time and be meticulous. Doing a little additional work will make it comfortable to troop in and make it look freakin awesome. I'm working on my Shadow too so I'm right there with you.

Got a lot done the past couple days.... Biceps, Forearms, and Knees are done... The top strap on the knee is too tight so that'll have to be redone before I can say it's done... Tank was attached to the back... TD and belt was assembled.. and the Back and Chest were attached to each other...

Pics of the first full suit up (thus far) below.

Front (yes I know the bund is off center... I wasn't paying attention while suiting up)

Shadow%20Full%20Fit%201_zpsdca840cs.jpg

Right

Shadow%20Full%20Fit%20Right_zps4qohm1lk.jpg

Back (Keep in mind that the cod isn't attached to anything right now, and the elastic hasn't been sized yet... Hence it's running up my back)

Shadow%20Full%20Fit%20back_zpszp0iowmd.jpg

Left

Shadow%20Full%20Fit%20Left_zpsnodprpkc.jpg

And look.... I can finally sit!

Shadow%20Full%20Fit%20Sit_zps52uyj3ml.jpg

Left to do....

Round the corners of, and attach the shoulders.

Drop boxes

Shoulder Bridge cover

Make pouches

Resize knee elastic

Make a flak vest

Remove the regular pockets in the flight suit....

Add suede to the flight suit...

Paint all the rivets.

If there's any suggestions to add to this list, PLEASE say something... Hoping to have this done and submitted by the end of this 4 day weekend....

That's all for now...

*Edit to add a couple items to the list I forgot*

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up a mirrored motorcycle visor on eBay... Barely fit...

It's good, just not in the sun...

Good to know as I was thinking of going that route as well. Yeah I think I'll stick to my white armor in the summer to be sure. That's hot enough as it is:)

OK... So on Thursday (for the R1 premiere) I wore my TK... Noticed my armor needed a lot of repairs on Friday night... Figured screw it... I'm going to finish and wear my shadow on Saturday (theater requested us Thursday, Friday and Saturday)...

So from 10:00 am to troop time at 4:00 I:

Remade my bund, cod, and pouches

Finished my shoulders and all strapping

Took in my flight suit where needed....

Finished my belt and drop boxes...

Doesn't read like a lot, but I was rushing.... Literally threw the velcro on the pouches and chest 5 minutes before I walked out the door...

In my mind there's still a lot of work to do... But I've gotten so many comments from other 501st members, the mandos and Rebels that were there saying how good I looked and that they're now thinking of making a shadow scout (storm commando... whatever your preference).....

I know I need pouch filler.... again... see above... no time...

Anyway... here's some pics from that troop....

My best bud showed up (wearing the 501st MAW shirt):

Shadow_zpssntc1dc4.jpg

A group shot with my bud....

Shadow%20Group_zpsjeoch7ch.jpg

One of my squad-mates was giving me grief about "being a shadow".... So I became his shadow....

Im%20a%20shadow_zpszsalafpr.jpg

Also there's a great gif of him turning to see me, and me going behind him or just ducking to stay out of line of sight... Poor TK's and not being able to see the floor...

One of my friends is thinking of joining the 501st, so she came with as a handler..... Here's the mandatory selfie....

Tara_zpsk2z9pqjq.jpg

Our squad mates just finished and debuted twin speeder bikes... There haven't been any of me on a bike posted yet (handler took over 400 pics...) but here's a preview with a TB on one, Mara Jade and the theater manager on the other:

Bikes_zpsfrgecmrb.jpg

That's all for now.... I still need to add suede to the flight suit, but I'm just going to wait and commission a new set of soft goods from Chef.... I don't want to mess with all that....

Took some approval pics last night... submitted to GML... when I hear back I'll update.... As more pictures are posted I'll add some fun ones...

So that's all for now... (Soon to be.... hopefully) TX-60113 signing off.....

*edit* Ask and you shall receive... here's a couple with me on the bike (Man these blacks don't photo well)...

Shadow%20on%20a%20bike_zpst9rhpm71.jpg

Scouts%20on%20bikes_zpswuzfb747.jpg

• Like 1

That was fast and nice work. You look good and I hope you enjoyed yourself. You can always fill in the gaps later and to be honest no one really sees the little things and we're always harder on ourselves (and rightly so). I love that you got in the spirit and "shadowed" the TK they're always fun to rattle. A good way to get em is to have a nice comfortable seat while they stand (heh heh). Hopefully no stormtroopers will read this. BTW don't mention to the scout biker that their bicept armor on the left is upside down:). Your armor looks great! Really nice work!

• Like 1

BTW don't mention to the scout biker that their bicept armor on the left is upside down:). Your armor looks great! Really nice work!

Yeah it was about 5 minutes after that pic was taken I saw he had both biceps upside down, and we went to the back to get him squared away (the other bike pic with Mara were after he fixed it)...

I can't tell you how much I love this costume... It's so much fun to walk around with the "biker scout attitude" and then add the "spec-ops attitude" on top of it lol...

• Like 1

Yeah it was about 5 minutes after that pic was taken I saw he had both biceps upside down, and we went to the back to get him squared away (the other bike pic with Mara were after he fixed it)...

I can't tell you how much I love this costume... It's so much fun to walk around with the "biker scout attitude" and then add the "spec-ops attitude" on top of it lol...

"Spec Ops attitude" I like that:) I can't wait to get back to my build.