Custom FemMando

Here's a demo of the paint scheme I hope to use on the Saz bucket when it gets here. Used an old Jango two piecec from way back when. It's our take on the "executioner"

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

New pics of the metal work I've been doing. Hardest part is over... I think...

Note to self: "Dishing" 16 guage steel really $%^& ing hard :teehee:

Definately using aluminum for every other piece :thumbsup:

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

Did a little work this week. Here's some new shots of the metal armor coming along. I'll be cutting the half pentagon on the bottom of the breast plate probably this week. Hands hurt from snipping the 16 gauge. Got the templates too for the abs. Gonna cut those and the back this week as well. Enjoy :)

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

I actually improvised and used a bocce ball for the planishing phase. The hardest part for lack of better terms was the upper breast area. the slope made it very difficult to find something the work out the dents. The lower portion is actually pretty darn smooth though. I used a file to work away the other inperfections and what you see for most of the breast area is the very slight dips that are still left. I'm probably gonna throw some primer on them to see what the finish is like. If it's not up to my standards I'll continue planishing and filing till it is, then try primer again :thumbsup:

Here's the updated concept drawings for the metal armor. First one is the back without the pack. The pack plate will be colored in thesame fashion as the original plastic armor

DSC00595.jpg

Here's the front with the teeth on the bucket. Still debating if the teeth will make it into the final design

DSC00591.jpg

This is the back with the pack

DSC00597.jpg

And finally the color concept and helmet without teeth. I'm going to try Flat, Gloss and Satin Black for the darkened plates then decide whoch fits best. I'm going to leave the white plates Bare Steel and of course highlight with the gloss purple and the shiny purple fabric :thumbsup:

DSC00596.jpg

Little update with the plates. Didn't so much Nova today but got some donw here. Everything is cut out so tomorrow I will be doing some shaping. The thighs will have holsters built in.

DSC00669.jpg

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

I also bought some trinkets at a yard sale that I thought would make a pretty sweet Diamond design. Let me know what you guys think :)

DSC00670.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

OH don't worry all edges will be filed/sanded down in the final product :thumbsup:

Where's the thrill of wearing real metal armor if you don't get the thrill of real metal tetnis?

Looking really good though! Excited to see the finished product!

Damn Brother! Going metal! That is so bad @$$. You craftsmanship is crazy! As far as the heat concern, Coat the top with paint to help reflect the light/heat & pad the inside with foam or cloth much like traditional metal armor. I still think its a great idea, no worries about ever cracking :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

A few update pics, put eyelets in the flight vest to mount the plates. Backplate fits great all other plates need attaching.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

All plates with Blue tape are painted flat black and will soon have the custom gloss paint that has been added to the chest plate. The chest plate was an experiment. Worked out great, in certain light the designs are difficult to see but in others they shine. Should make for a different pic everytime which was my original plan when I was thinking of going "thermochromic" with the paint job.

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Made one shin plate and am working on the other as well as started forming the bicep armor, I'll only be using two strips versus the comic reference three. Knees are also ready for mounting

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Formed the thigh plates and I am really happy with the built in holsters

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

Finally bought some leather scraps to create the straps for leg armor.

ON that note can anyone tell me a good way to attach leather to metal that will be flush on both sides. I was thinking of using rivets but I was wondering if you could smash or grind down the side of the rivet that sticks out to make it flush on the inside. I need a good method to keep the inside from digging into fabric and eventually flesh. Any suiggestions would be greaty appreciated.

IMG_1516.jpg

New Nova pics will be up tomorrow night, wifey's armor took precedence today. I was on a roll and couldn't stop myself :thumbsup:

Looking awesome man. What did you use to connect those shin plates. Looks like bolts? Is that right. Seems like rivets would look better. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, I've been using bolt on everything so that nothing becomes permanent at this point. I may go to rivets at some point in the build I just need to know how to get them flat on the inside. If anyone knows please help me out. I'm going to be shortening the bolts with a blade I saw at lowes for my dremel but if I ever do use rivets I need to know how to get them more flush on the interior so they don't dig in to the fleshy stuff :pinch: