Custom FemMando

How short would you need them. They would for sure be shorter then the nut you are probably currently using on the inside. That is the nice thing about pop rivets, they around on each side and then you can trim any edge off on the inside. I will try and take a pic of mine if I can make it up the stairs with my leg

How short would you need them. They would for sure be shorter then the nut you are probably currently using on the inside. That is the nice thing about pop rivets, they around on each side and then you can trim any edge off on the inside. I will try and take a pic of mine if I can make it up the stairs with my leg

Awesome thanks DE :thumbsup:

Here is a shot of two of the same side rivets. I just riveted it once each direction so you could get a clear shot of what each side would like like. The taller side would be on the inside, but I would assume this is still shorter than your nut. I should have included a penny for size reference.

dscn3146jv.jpg

Ok, I think the problem is that my rivets have a longer "inner area" than your rivets. Now, is there a way to shorten that area without comprimising the security of the joint? Could I file it down, cut it shorter or even hammer it flat? Again thatnks a bunch DE this will definately help me when I get to the final product.

Wow im offline for a few weeks while i move house and you really get cracking on this... sometimes if i need a flush fit on something i will take a steel rivet and push/pull (with pliers) the post out of it (the bit you put into the rivet gun) and then just hammer the back of them flat - but! if you try this DONT use alloy rivets they wont be strong enough they dont hammer flat well lol.

Looking awesome so far bud. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Been a bit but got to working on this again. Forgive all the blue tape. Gloss details will be added to all Flat Black peices in the near future I just need to get busy with the razor blade.

Took some pictures for fit purposes. I've decided to add one more plate to connect the backplate to the rest of the frontal armor. I'm going to have the plate go from the top of the back plate under the collar plate and probably into the breastplate. I will be attaching this plate with some form of magnet or easy disconnecting mechanism. There will also be an additional ring in the bicep/tricep area.

The thighs and shins are in the works as well. Thighs now have a nice leather strap going around the back and will probably have hidden snaps on the top area to attach to the thigh area of the flightsuit. The knee plate will also be attached via snaps with hidden elastic from the knee down to the shins to keep everything in line yet still flexible. I'm hoping to keep this costume kneel-able for some cool action shots.

I also made a metal codpiece out of some leftovers I had. I attached it to a leather thong with e6000 and it came out looking good in theory but just ended up being kind of... odd so although I'm sure it would be a huge hit at conventions :o it'll probably never see the light of day. I'm just trying to figure out whether I will ditch the cape for a lion cloth and kama or keep the cape and the lioncloth/kama together. The only issue with the second option for me is it just seems like too much cloth for a serious killer. :teehee:

I was also hoping everyone could give me some input on the shoulders. Should they be bigger? I'm kind of leaning in that direction but if it looks good to others I don't really want to be just nitpicking myself to death.

Oh and don't worry about the helmet. It's just a stand in til the real deal is on it's way from the UK. The paint scheme is the only thing that will remain the same.

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As you can see, I've been hard at work. I decided to make new shoulder bells, new all metal guantlets. There's a comparison shot of the old plastic guantlet. I will be using the old shoulder bells as hand armor and have decided to line most of the armor with trim for safety and overall cleaner looks. I have also added a second back plate to connect to the collar plate more easily. I have also decided to go with a tighter flightsuit as the old one seemed to puff out at all the joints causing the armor to clash with the soft parts. The new suit will be more aking to a trooper suit and will go very nicely with the rest of the armor. Stay tuned for more updates in the next few weeks :thumbsup:

Allright finally shaped the collar armor well enough to attach to the backplate. Still a few slight bends needed toward the very rear of the collar but got some good pics for "fit". I was originally going to attach the plates via magnets but I would have had to dish an area for the magnets to sit and since the plates wwere already shaped I didn't want to ruin them and have to start again. Instead I used a trusty Stormtrooper goto and used hidden industrial velcro to connect the two pieces.

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Just awesome Art! I love the hinge on the bracers. I am going to have to make a trip your way for some metal projects :D. What thickness is the sheet metal you used? I am determined to do a starkiller and was going to make the shoulders out of fiberglass, but i am wondering if I can make them out of two peices of metal and then weld them together.

Just awesome Art! I love the hinge on the bracers. I am going to have to make a trip your way for some metal projects :D. What thickness is the sheet metal you used? I am determined to do a starkiller and was going to make the shoulders out of fiberglass, but i am wondering if I can make them out of two peices of metal and then weld them together.

I looked at some pics of starkiller and I noticed there is a seam down the spine of the plates. We could actually put a hinge right there and used two plates on each side to make his shoulder/neck armor from metal. It's gotta open somewhere because the front area is to thin to go around your thoat without opening and closing otherwise. That's totally a doable project. Just let me know when you ready to start and I'll definately help you out. :thumbsup:

I looked at some pics of starkiller and I noticed there is a seam down the spine of the plates. We could actually put a hinge right there and used two plates on each side to make his shoulder/neck armor from metal. It's gotta open somewhere because the front area is to thin to go around your thoat without opening and closing otherwise. That's totally a doable project. Just let me know when you ready to start and I'll definately help you out. :thumbsup:

Awesome man! I will definitely take advantage of your help. Ill need to visualize what you are talking about. Since the wife has a Juno, I really need to get my Starkiller together.

The Back plate is fully painted... only problem I'm only half done with the creed. I've still got the shoulders knees and probably now the gauntlets but if I still can't fit it I may repiant the chest and collar armor. We'll have to see what happens.

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

I was also able to attach one thigh plate. After some trail and error and washable paint to mark where snaps were needed it looks good. Took longer than I thought it would but the next one should go much faster now that I have a technique down.

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All right, Pretty much super psychotic pissed right now!!!!! :6:

Just spent about thirty minutes taking a bunch of pics with all the views ie: front, back, sides. Plus it's ninety six degrees and ridiculously humid today. All the pics looked great but during transfer from card to CPU 75% of the shots completely disappeared. :ph34r: Kids are awake from naps so there's no chance of retakes today and I go back to work tomorrow. Bleh!!

Here's some for fun pics we took after the important shots. They give an idea of the armor but I only have one good Pre-Approval type shot. Guess we'll have to try again this weekend. I'll try to finish the leg armor and new knees by the time we take more shots. Then the only thing left will be getting the "Saz" lid whenever it arrives. And of course the rest of the Rifleman's Creed and the chest plate repaint.

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to finish every piece so mechanically the armor is now complete. Of course there is the re-paint of the chest and the adding of the Riflemans Creed on all Black parts as well as covering up the left knee detail. It used to be the shoulder armor and still has the Mando Spec Ops symbol on, though now it is upside down. The paint job will probably happen over the course of a few weeks.

We are currently discussing whether the pack will make the final cut or not. I am devising a new way to attach it as of now. The ammo pouches were cut down to two and placed on the back to clean up the front area and make room for the thigh-mounted Pistols. It's also good for "real-world"ness as a Sniper would probably be in the prone postion for a majority of shots and having the extra ammo on the back would be the most comfortable and accessible. Don't know if you can see them but inside the pouches are .50 Cal rounds I bought at an airshow a while back. I figured that add that extra touch for the Sniper Mando.

Oh and look who's back :)

Without further ado here she is. Only a helmet away from being official I hope ;)

Doh! just realized my camera/cpu/memory card took a crap and lost some of the side view and rear view shots.

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg