Force Unleashed Jumptrooper Build!

Thanks guys for the comments!  Been hard at work this past week getting the helmet knocked out, still have some work yet to do. But it is coming along nicely (much better than my EVO helmet, thank you 3D printer), basically lots of sanding, filler, sanding, filler and so on.  Here are some pics of the progress!

OUAIxTt.jpg

x6xlLeF.jpg

MsKNGPr.jpg

urPb7zt.jpg

4rZtL4Y.jpg

WUnDWxH.jpg

So the surface is pretty much ready to go right now. Next step is to start cleaning up the edges around the eyes/mouth and the little valleys on the sides. I also have some new parts to graft on (hose inlet and some parts for the things sticking out the side). Then the traps will get cut on the dome and the helmet sculpt should be finished. Then it's on to the visor and getting that fitted!

ghJRn2x.jpg?1

Also here's the progress on the jetpack printing.

Q30RHXs.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Torri!

I'm going to try and keep this thread updated a bit more often, so here's a quick update on the helmet. Nothing crazy, cut off the little bits that stick out the side and glued in the new ends. Also started shaping the lens area. And finally, started cleaning up the sides, mouth and edges. Now for some more sanding and filler work!

c7dXIU2.jpg

G9O8BH4.jpg?1

wUCu1wN.jpg

R7Vst0j.jpg

Dude you know I would be down to get one of these going! Let’s be jumptroopers together! Also if I were to make one, I think I would convert my shadow kit into one. The thing is almost past the point of too beat up to troop in. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Scubacat Yeah Torri, I was going to shoot you a message to see if you still wanted to make a Jumptrooper. I've been going back and forth about making a mold of this helmet, so I'll proceed with making a mold and then cast some helmets. 

Anyway, here's the progress for today. Started sanding the spot putty I put on yesterday, then started cleaning up the area for the mic discs. I still have to 3D model then print the discs, I might do that tomorrow night. Then glued the new hose inlet on and promptly applied spot putty over it and the sides of helmet. Also brought the little detail pieces for a quick mock up picture, then ended sanding those real quick and then more spot putty!

w3j1YKh.jpg?1

auLbNLp.jpg

oopeKuu.jpg

LOS3KwX.jpg?1

And here's the progress on the jetpack printing, only two pieces to go! Encountered a bit of hitch with the 3D printer, had some underextrusion on my last print. Luckily it just needed some cleaning around the extruder motor, so it should be good to go now.

2PiMEmq.jpg

Thanks for the pics Torri! Yep, they've been helping with planning some of the smaller details on the helmet, the pics I have aren't nearly as good.  You can never have too many reference pictures. :duim:

Anyway here's the helmet progress, it's getting there but still needs a little more finish work. Unfortunately the pockets for the ears need to be redone as well. I should have used regular body filler to begin with, I've been fighting myself using only spot putty in this area. I'm hoping to start cutting the traps and teeth out tomorrow as well as getting the "ears" shaped and glued in. Anyway here's the helmet as it sits now.

DOEDS9Q.jpg

gVuJXCh.jpg?1

And the printing is done on the jetpack! Thought I was done 3D printing for this trooper, but I've decided to reprint the chest plate after making some changes to the model.

5sgK3uf.jpg

Looking fantastic bro! Also the pics is what I found on YouTube from a player that used the jumptrooper skin for the main character. You could check there. It might help. I can’t wait to see more from this kit. I look forward to makeing one of these like you. 

• Like 1

Here's some more progress on the helmet! Mapped out and cut details like the teeth and traps and the little "nostrils." Also threw some filler in the ear pockets and the little cutouts below the frown. Then threw on some spot putty to finish off the traps.

1Y6p6KR.jpg

JKNGv3H.jpg

oxPuqIE.jpg

6fb4loA.jpg

Also started printing out the new chest plate. The 3D printer has been giving me some more sass, so I haven't gotten as much printing done as I wanted. Also modeled an insert to 3D print for the back plate (yes the Jumptrooper has a mostly unique backplate!).

H69mXmE.png

• Like 1

wow I love this! thank you for posting all your photos.  I love seeing the work--and effort--that goes into these builds, especially one from scratch like this. A nice kit build is one thing but this is no kit.  Makes me itch to see it done!

• Like 1

Thanks! Yeah it's been awhile since I've built a trooper, so it's nice to get back into it. The 3D printer has been a godsend as well, so much better than the stuff I had to do on the EVO Trooper (i.e. clay sculpting or cardstock/pepakura). My EVO helmet in particular has some pretty bad warping in comparison and was a nightmare to get to a decent state because the cardstock couldn't hold the shape. So this Jumptrooper helmet has been a pleasure to work on!

Well here's the latest progress (been sick, so haven't gotten too much done). Cleaned up the traps, the teeth, the nostrils and the hose inlet. Also sanded down the body filler in the ear pockets and gave them another coat of spot putty to finish that up. Almost there, a couple more days of finish work then this thing will be good to go. Then on to the visor!

4BXDdlp.jpg

RG4kVST.jpg

Also made up a new 3D model for the weapon, a "rail detonator" according to the action figure packaging. Here's the original model from the game with the new model below it. Still have a few things to tidy up and need to make some internal channels to run dowel rods through, but it's pretty much good to go!

iDvgJl2.png

Jsb6bL4.png

Finally got started (and just about finished) on the visor. First up was cutting some material away on the inside so it can fit around the helmet and the brow trim. After that I threw some filler on it, sanded it down, more filler and more sanding, then gave it a coat of spot putty. Hoping to finish up the helmet this weekend and then move on to the armor!

MbZTW9o.jpg

ciDfYJg.jpg?1

DYMxHOK.jpg?1

• Like 2

Helmet is nearly, nearly finished up! I got the ears glued on, which was the last big thing on the list. Just a couple more spots to touch up and then I'll give it a few coats of filler primer. Sand the primer down a bit and then a few coats of some gloss paint and then it should be ready to start making the mold! And then to start switching gears, I sanded down the glue joints on the all the other 3D printed parts for the armor and the jetpack, then started gluing it all together. Finally, the last piece of the chest plate just finished printing. Just one more print left for the armor!

6jU2fRT.jpg

ygVXwpY.jpg?1

h5jXG1W.jpg?1

• Like 1

Sanded all the armor parts today! I focused on the knee plates and the shoulders in particular as these parts need multiple layers of filler to refine the shape. Everything else (like the biceps, forearms, etc.) just needs some spot putty to finish it off. Finally glued all the chest plate parts together, wasn't too bad actually! However I do think it's probably going to turn into a vacuum forming buck, not too confident about it's ability to hold up long term (and it's a bit too rigid for my tastes).

zmcIHGX.jpg?1

f8IoPvn.jpg?1

ptNQvQn.jpg?1

gC1H5K0.jpg?1

• Like 2

I didn't get too much done today, just reinforced the back of the chest. And don't worry too much about the chest, I'll use an angle grinder to knock down the majority of the hard edges to smooth it out  (yeah a bit overkill, but it'll make quick work of the plastic). Anyway I mostly just fiddled with the 3D printer tonight since it's been giving me more issues. But got it back up and running and printing out the insert for the back plate right now.

fvYZHpc.jpg?1

dWzvfT6.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately I got bogged down messing with the 3D printer, which is sadly deadlined for the moment. Got some parts on the way which should fix all the problems. Also been helping my dad the last couple days, he's building a TIE Pilot so been helping get it together (trying to get it together and approved before Celebration). We should get everything wrapped up today, and I can get back to the Jumptrooper tomorrow.

JBPr5YQ.jpg?2