Force Unleashed Jumptrooper Build!

The printer just doesn't want to extrude plastic out the nozzle. Which is just odd since it was working fine with a few hiccups here and there and then out of nowhere, no plastic moving out of the nozzle. So I spent the free time this week tearing it apart and fixing other things and trying some stuff to get it to work. I've got a new hot end and some upgrade parts coming, which should get it running again.

As for the TIE stuff, yeah hopefully we get it together in time... My dad is still waiting on the jumpsuit and belt (supposedly 2-3 weeks he'll have it). It'll be tight, but he should be approved in time. :D

Welp, I got out into the shop to get back on the Jumptrooper! Hit the chest plate with the angle grinder to smooth out the hard edges/geometry. Then came the body filler and sanding routine. Still needs some work around the sides and a couple other small spots. Also sanded the tubes and nozzles for the jetpack and laid down a small layer of filler and spot putty.

sdEF616.jpg?1

4wr6X9i.jpg

a6HIXzO.jpg

thWIQvH.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately another busy week, but was able do some sanding on the jetpack nozzles and nozzle tubes. Also gave the main tank a pass with the angle grinder to knock down the big ugly stuff with a follow up pass with the sander to smooth it out a bit. Definitely found a few things that I'm going to change on the model/3D print files, for any future Jumptroopers. Next step is body filler on the main tank and then fitting the tops for the nozzle tubes.

0TFdz6w.jpg

CaCrD6G.jpg

9DR4TJ3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some more work on this Jumptrooper. Sanded the chest plate down some more and threw some quick paint on it to see how it looks. Still have a couple spots to hit with more filler. After that I had to do some work on the tops of the jetpack nozzle tubes to get them to fit. Need to some remodeling of those parts for any future Jumptroopers. Then I started laying down some filler on the main tank of the jetpack and the little pipes that connect everything.

13zvxje.jpg?1

p7VEPmP.jpg?1

E8wGJ2L.jpg?1

E2INZE8.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

Been awhile, but I've been working on this stuff in while waiting on other projects. Threw some spot putty on the chest plate and sanded down a shoulder bell and a knee plate. Since I've decided to vacuum form these pieces, no sense in finishing both shoulders and knee plates. Next up I'll start putting spot putty on stuff like the forearms and biceps to get those finished up.

nH0tDUW.jpg

KWJMfvj.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Wow, been a while Spec Ops, but worked on this build a "little" bit this past week.... So here's a few pictures...

8jyNvDm.jpg

4ixSmBZ.jpg

vbU3cJa.jpg

wSfYdke.jpg

Unfortunately, the helmet somehow took some damage so had to some repairs.

iEAnOD2.jpg

ELfLgTJ.jpg

OlryjJI.jpg

19jABNf.jpg

And here's the layout of the all the armor and the jetpack.

P22Kfmt.jpg

I've got silicone on the way to make a mold of the helmet before it gets damaged again...  The visor and "power cell" details will also be molded and cast separately. Gonna try to get everything molded next week.

The chest plate, shoulder, cod plate and knee plate are ready for vacuum forming (as soon as I rebuild my oven).  Going to redo the shin ammo strap. Originally I had 3D printed it, but decided a vacuum formed piece would work better. The back plate will also be vacuum formed, it's the only piece that still needs major work.

As for the jetpack, I need to finish the little rectangles in the middle of the main tank of the jetpack as well as fitting the tubes that connect to the other parts of the pack. Also need to source some thick plastic for the plate that everything mounts to.

Still have to 3D print the chest plate hose inlets and design and print the shoulder straps.

All the other parts are ready to go! Just need to sand them real quick and start painting them! Guess it's about to time to start buying the other armor pieces!

• Like 4

Thanks @Raider, glad to finally get back going on armor (also glad to finally have my Chevelle painted...). :duim:

So got the silicone, urethane resin and Plasti-Paste for the helmet, visor and various greeblie molds.

8kFYm20.jpg

Also was about to start modelling the shoulder straps, but decided to take a look in game real quick to get some good screenshots. Unfortunately I noticed a couple odd things about the back plate. The back plate has three "surfaces" (excluding the raised portion) with a slight crease between each surface much like the chest plate. Also there is slight step that runs around the raised portion of the back plate. Originally I had thought that it was going to be simply swapping out the recessed area, but it's a whole new sculpt now... Time to model and print out a whole new back plate, luckily I hadn't really started on it yet...

Pz4Ojst.jpg

VIGUg7y.jpg

nP7khsW.jpg

• Like 1

Well sorta, it's still has that raised portion like a regular TK-style back plate (different details in the recess), so you only have that strip around the recess. Not too worried as that should still be plenty of flat space to mount the jetpack. The square design of the recess also allows for more possibilities to secure the pack vs. the classic "O II" back plate design. 

Anyway, got the back plate remodeled. Took the original model and added the strip detail around the raised portion as well as the "creases" on the sides. These I still have to split it up in to chunks for 3D printing, but pretty pleased with it overall. Should work out great with a little filler and some sanding.:D

er1pZ3b.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a busy month, started getting the jetpack detailed and ready for paint. Still a few things to do before the pack is ready. Speaking of paint...

PBWLsMS.jpg

And the big project this month, getting the helmet mold made.

wmLhV4b.jpg

nhohKwj.jpg

While waiting on the helmet mold to cure, I did some quick casting on the little details that stick out the side. Unfortunately the mold is shot after only 6 castings (luckily that's all I needed).

Tm4saN7.jpg?1

Here's the mother mold made up, and the helmet sculpt out of the mold.

ohawGof.jpg

Finally here's the first casting! Cleaned it up a little yesterday, trimmed the visor and teeth as well as sanding some minor bumps. I have a few spots that need a little filler (someone got a little too excited and forgot to completely seat the silicone mold in the mother mold). Otherwise, very happy with how it turned out, much better than my EVO Trooper helmet. :duim:

whOvkoA.jpg

oneawoE.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the progress from this weekend! Got the small spots taken care of on the helmet as well as adding some more definition to the traps on the dome. Also gave the dome another pass with spot putty to get it nice and round. Then I primed and painted the helmet!

I hadn't planned on buying boots so soon, but found a great deal for them so went ahead and got them ($100 off....). They're pretty close to perfect for the Jumptrooper, just need to dye them white and add an extra flap of leather at the top. I also need to make some toe armor to stick on them.

Finally, started painting the rest of the armor that is ready. I still have to paint the straps on the jetpack parts white. After that I can start assembling the jetpack!

qh4pfzk.jpg

v9WboXx.jpg

EpYefUB.jpg

n0yrUHf.jpg

ulxyl1l.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to get the paint masks cut for all of the little details on the helmet. I also need to stop and get some more primer tomorrow, so I can get the visor and little side details primed and painted for the helmet. :duim: I plan to work on the helmet this week, and then start making some vacuum forming bucks for the main belt and shin ammo belt this weekend as well as printing the last couple pieces for the back plate.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fivezero said:

Here's the progress from this weekend! Got the small spots taken care of on the helmet as well as adding some more definition to the traps on the dome. Also gave the dome another pass with spot putty to get it nice and round. Then I primed and painted the helmet!

I hadn't planned on buying boots so soon, but found a great deal for them so went ahead and got them ($100 off....). They're pretty close to perfect for the Jumptrooper, just need to dye them white and add an extra flap of leather at the top. I also need to make some toe armor to stick on them.

Finally, started painting the rest of the armor that is ready. I still have to paint the straps on the jetpack parts white. After that I can start assembling the jetpack!

qh4pfzk.jpg

v9WboXx.jpg

EpYefUB.jpg

n0yrUHf.jpg

ulxyl1l.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to get the paint masks cut for all of the little details on the helmet. I also need to stop and get some more primer tomorrow, so I can get the visor and little side details primed and painted for the helmet. :duim: I plan to work on the helmet this week, and then start making some vacuum forming bucks for the main belt and shin ammo belt this weekend as well as printing the last couple pieces for the back plate.

sweet man.  keep plugging along.  when u finish this i may have a proposition for u lol

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I'm definitely getting antsy to get this thing finished (coming up on 3 years since I started it.....)

21 hours ago, Raider said:

sweet man.  keep plugging along.  when u finish this i may have a proposition for u lol

Uh oh... I'm scared... :P

Anyway, as I mentioned, I cut the paint masks for the helmet details. Top left is for the visor, top right is for the dome, bottom left is for the "ear circles (eh, I don't know what to call them)," and finally bottom right is for the upper cheeks, behind the visor.

pmVEyCO.jpg?1

Also primed the other parts for the helmet. Unfortunately I knocked the visor and the little ears fell off. Will be a quick fix, so no worries there.

RFxkeF0.jpg?1

G9cxfyX.jpg?1

I was digging through my box of parts and noticed the cod plate needed a "little" glue... Luckily it's getting vacuum formed, so shouldn't have to worry about glue after that.

VzJg6zR.jpg?1

And here's a picture of all the parts I painted yesterday. Tomorrow I'll finish the painting pack parts, need to paint the straps and that center section white. Also need to paint the straps on the "thrusters" with some light gray.

sC26r1R.jpg

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

What's going on Spec Ops!?!? Been a while since there's been an update and got a pretty big one for you guys!! So this goes back to March, but I had some time off back in the spring and finally got this thing back together after 6 years of work. This has been the biggest detriment to armor building by far the last few years, but she's back on the road now (well except she's stored now for the winter...). Also had a few other projects come up including restoring a WWII 37mm cannon we picked up....

W8YdRhY.jpg

dR69W9G.jpg

So those have been the major time sinks. So how about some Jumptrooper news? Going back to the summer, I built a new vacuum form oven to replace the modified space heater. She served me well when I built my EVO Trooper, but wouldn't cut it for the Jumptrooper. Also finished 3D printing the back plate, glued it, sanded, sanded, sanded and primed it. Also assembled the jetpack and then the whole build stalled for the summer/fall. But picked the Jumptrooper back up this month. Had to finish welding the frame for the vacuum former. I prepped the chest, back and cod by casting some plaster to support them. Took a couple days off this week and have been vacuum forming armor. :) Anyway here's a bunch of pictures (and I mean a bunch...)!!

zAQzAOO.jpg

FToz6vR.jpg

g2suzNK.jpg

G8VD8TE.jpg

oSdXDY4.jpg

onxwHAL.jpg

PBa7IOh.jpg

o8TTdNE.jpg

spjN0ng.jpg

Oh yeah, got the helmet painted, detailed, assembled and weathered as well. ;)

cdNQr53.jpg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Fivezero said:

What's going on Spec Ops!?!? Been a while since there's been an update and got a pretty big one for you guys!! So this goes back to March, but I had some time off back in the spring and finally got this thing back together after 6 years of work. This has been the biggest detriment to armor building by far the last few years, but she's back on the road now (well except she's stored now for the winter...). Also had a few other projects come up including restoring a WWII 37mm cannon we picked up....

W8YdRhY.jpg

dR69W9G.jpg

So those have been the major time sinks. So how about some Jumptrooper news? Going back to the summer, I built a new vacuum form oven to replace the modified space heater. She served me well when I built my EVO Trooper, but wouldn't cut it for the Jumptrooper. Also finished 3D printing the back plate, glued it, sanded, sanded, sanded and primed it. Also assembled the jetpack and then the whole build stalled for the summer/fall. But picked the Jumptrooper back up this month. Had to finish welding the frame for the vacuum former. I prepped the chest, back and cod by casting some plaster to support them. Took a couple days off this week and have been vacuum forming armor. :) Anyway here's a bunch of pictures (and I mean a bunch...)!!

zAQzAOO.jpg

FToz6vR.jpg

g2suzNK.jpg

G8VD8TE.jpg

oSdXDY4.jpg

onxwHAL.jpg

PBa7IOh.jpg

o8TTdNE.jpg

spjN0ng.jpg

Oh yeah, got the helmet painted, detailed, assembled and weathered as well. ;)

cdNQr53.jpg

That is sick!!! Wow!

Sooooo if you ever decide to do EVO stuff again let me know ;) (especially helmets) :D 

• Like 1