Mark's R1 Death Trooper build

Dude this sums up my build 110% also. Every night once kids in bed and as much as I can cram in at the weekends whilst balancing family time and chores. U are making such great progress though so keep it up mate. The finish line is nearing. That back plate looks amazing, especially as I know full well how it began

Thank you for the encouraging words mate, you're too kind. Your build is looking sick too and has been a source of motivation and inspiration.

I completely understand the level of effort required to get this kit up and running. Might have to gather all the ArmoryShop raw kit builders together for a beer and counselling :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the right thigh. This is pretty much completed. Might do another coat of paint 😀

lQtzzhd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

iKFKDqz_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Chest without metallic panels, first coat of paint. Requires a second lick

VkB5Ymf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Beginning of strapping for chest to back

EXAK2XZ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Close up:

S6Z6s1S_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Failed strap. The CA did not hold :-/

YSc3hyM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Here are the rubber straps I got from Bones Brudus. They are very good quality and require a little trimming. I have decided to insert the nuts for the bolts into the strap and then bolt from the inside.

HkyDiR7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Prep for the nuts:

bWPnO0e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

The bolt holes for the straps. These are part of the kit. No drilling required.

O8MGFfs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

For my belt I decided to line it with foam. This is to provide grip and protection for the armour. The foam was from Bunnings.

PahQ24J_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

oWlUmCL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

And last of all here is a sketch I did of the harness system I plan on doing

7ZtyO5Y_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I plan on restructuring this build thread too. I know it's all over the show as I am trying to do multiple things at once to keep up the momentum.

My shins and forearms have just undergone a second coat. My cod, posterior, hand plates, ab plate and lower back plate have already been done.

I just received a variety of weathering paints to simulate the salt water oxidation of the armour to try out. I'll experiment on my spare shoulder plate 😀

The end of my approval build is in sight. The overall finished product will take a bit longer

So the weekend was filled with drama, setbacks and progress.

After fixing all the painting issues I masked off the areas that require the Tamiya TS-40 Metallic Black paint and gave a couple of coats each.

Ab plate:

jIjXwR2_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Chest plate:

QNXaJbo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Back:

xk3gUIS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I also spent a huge amount of frustration on getting the rubber straps, ejection buckle and d-ring attached. It was a combination of changing strategies, failed attempts and just get this done! Part of the issue was my initial attempt to embed the nut in the strap failed. So I tried a couple of different things and eventually came up with a solution that will work in the short term but I will need to change it in the future.

I got some 38mm webbing and glued some washers and nuts to that. Attached it to the back armour, then glued the strap to the webbing. I glued the ejection harness buckle to the strap and then glued the d-ring to the buckle. I am using industrial Velcro to secure the buckle to the front.

GJlDkBs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Eventually it all cam together like this:

qHylVfh_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

edoAHYI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I used Velcro to fasten the shoulders together from the inside. My chest plate caught some unexpected sun and flattened out a bit. So nothing lined up. I used a hairdryer and managed to shape it back. But it still needs work as generally speaking it's not all lining up flush yet. :-/. Definitely in a better state but not easy to fit together!

I also started work on my strapping system starting with the belt:

sg6ahol_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

This version failed but the idea is there. I started work on redoing this using leather. I will update further on this later.

Here are my gloves with plates

WkzbNKU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

gKCLwuN_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I also started to work on the wrist rockets. I bought some machined aluminium ones with no idea or plan on how they would fit to the armour. I think I have a workable solution I am just waiting on some materials. Basically I will build my own mounting system using some 4mm ABS and some M5 6mm countersunk screws.

I am having my undersuit pants taken in a bit as they are just too baggy. This armour leaves very little room so no more pies and beers this guy!

Getting closer but probably over engineering this into next year LOL

Well. The last couple of days have been hectic with getting all the strapping done. Getting in and out of the kit to make adjustments really took it out of me!

I managed to get my harness sorted. I pretty much have everything strapped. The only thing I am waiting on is glue to dry on my belt. I have attached snaps to it so that I can just snap the belt on in key areas.

Tomorrow I plan on making my first submission to the GML, I expect that some adjustments may need to be made.

Doing all the snaps has been hard work! So knackered! Didn't expect this kind of exhaustion from putting together a costume.

I had one break. I have had to use a hairdryer to reshape my butt 😄. I will probably need to do some touch ups to the paint! Will probably need to reshape chest as well. Also need to get some elastic for my biceps.

Will post up pics tomorrow 😀

• Like 1

My modifications continue... after seeing how easily my shoulder bells kept slipping around on my undersuit, I decided to use some rubber matting to line them.

This worked a treat! Glued in using Foss adhesive.

DC6D6Ct_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Also experienced the insane heat and lens fog in my bucket so decided to install my fans. Awesomely enough the Anovos bucket has a nice seal around the opening so it was easy to conceal all the wiring behind it.

DHowFVR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

One of the switches for turning fans on and off again

ZehkfKq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

These are Henry's fans. Really quiet and powerful.

Looking great Mark. All those many hours sanding have paid off. Looks like u got a good match with the paint to the anovos. What was the high gloss black you used? Ps. Sorry if u already said somewhere.

Did u clear coat/lacquer after painting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Rustoleum 2X High Gloss Black. I'll try to post close up pics so you can see the difference. My painting skills have improved but not professional:D

I have not used any clear coat. But may do in future as it may help protect the finish a bit longer.