Roger's Jimmi's Armor Build Thread

Last night I got the tusk lights glued in place and soldered the lights to the harness. I'm going to build a little mounting/reflector part for the LED that I will connect using gaffer tape and will use gaffer tape for the harness wiring to the helmet. Fans, and marine plugs are arriving today so I will be wiring all that up tonight. My goal is to have the helmet wired for everything but the voice before the weekend. Going to use temporary switches until I do the upgrade to micro switches in my left glove.

On the paint side of the house, I'm now down to 2 pieces that need full paint, 2 that need color sanding and then finish coat and clear, and I'm polish sanding the clear coat on the backpack.

Strapping will start soon, maybe next week and hope to be finished by next weekend and ready to submit for approval!

I got the wiring harness built and did a test fit in the helmet. I have a light leak on one light that I'll be fixing with a little black paint and fine brush. Everything is 5v so I can use a USB recharging pack. One circuit is for the fans and one for the lights. I have an extra circuit on the connector for the mic when I get ready to add it for the voice changer.

On the paint front, I'm now down to:

Clear Coat: forearms, one thigh

Color: shins, one thigh, and repainting backpack (it had too much orange peel so I remanded it)

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

I fixed the light leak. It look a lot of masking and then I got my airbrush and tried to get in there but it wasn't really working. So, I ended up taking paint and pouring a drop on the gap and then using a toothpick to let the air bubbles out. The paint flowed down to the big offending leak and took care of it.

Lesson learned. On Jimi's kit mask ONLY the front of the light and the back of the square mounting peg. Paint everything else. I made the mistake of leaving the sides of the square mounting peg unpainted. Had I painted the sides, I wouldn't have had the problem.

Shins are assembled. I have some Apoxie Putty coming in today and going to finish filling the seams. I have 1 little hole in a box to fill. With that, I'll be painting them and then I start strapping it up.

I'm also planning to use it for attaching the rockets to the forearm. I may change my mind because I'll need to touch up paint them. I just think it would give the rockets more durability than just using 5min epoxy.

IMG_0516.jpg

Roger, are your forearms clam shelled or did you glue both edges together? If you clam shelled it you could do what I did for the forearm greeblies and put screws thru the inside of the forearm into the greeblies.

Worked out how I'm going to strap everything. I'm using all velcro and elastic. I'm making these tabs that will triple lock the straps. It will allow me to completely disassemble the kit and individually wrap each piece so they don't get banged up, avoid failing snaps, and will hold up to movement.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

I did a first test fitting. One shin was still drying. I was checking on the length needed for the side straps and to figure out mounting positions for the thigh straps (which is why one thigh was falling down). Happy with how it is turning out.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

• Like 1