Nick’s Build

Hi everyone,

I have a Tripon kit and I'm brand new when it comes to sanding fiberglass. I'm afraid of ruining my armor by doing it wrong.

I've been practicing with the grits (tried to attach a picture) but I don't really know how to tell when I'm done sanding. Do you know of any videos or threads that may help me?

Also, does anyone know where to find instructions for Romans E-11D kit? I can't find this vendor.

Thank you all very much for your time and help!

Hi everyone,

I have a Tripon kit and I'm brand new when it comes to sanding fiberglass. I'm afraid of ruining my armor by doing it wrong.

I've been practicing with the grits (tried to attach a picture) but I don't really know how to tell when I'm done sanding. Do you know of any videos or threads that may help me?

Also, does anyone know where to find instructions for Romans E-11D kit? I can't find this vendor.

Thank you all very much for your time and help!

Are you sanding to smooth it out, getting ready for primer or to find any blemishes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. I cannot speak for Jim's kit as I don't have one. However if it's anything like 3d print then I started with 120grit, then 240, 400, 1000 and upto 3000 on the helmet. As for Romans kit there is no build instructions I know of but I built one from reference pics. What were u unsure on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I painted Jim's kit I used 80 to cut out large ridges, then 100 - 220 to sand out any minor imperfections, then I primed with Rustoleum Filler Primer, then wet sanded that with 400-800, then I painted 2x light coats with Rustoleum 2x Ultra Gloss Black, wet sanded 1000-1200, and then 3x light coats of the Rustoleum 2x Gloss black again. I waited twice as long between cure/recoat times just to make sure the paint did not wrinkle or orange peel. After the final coat cured I hit all the pieces with Meguire's Ultimate compound and a low speed buffer, followed by Meguire's Ultimate Polish. Came out great.

I'm not sure how to start with the E-11D. I have E6000 glue. What did you use?

Do you sand all over the entire part, or only on rough spots that need smoothing? I've been told to apply 80 grit only as needed, but what about the their grits?

Sorry guys I keep trying to post pictures, but flickr and photobucket aren't playing well with my iPad, and my laptop is out of commission. All advice is appreciated.