New CRL Development - Mud Trooper

izzi

Great job so far.

Question on the jacket. Is there an alternate for the jacket?? It seems the m64 is hard to obtain.

As of this time, there hasn't been one suggested, however feel free to look for jackets of similar design and post them for review.

I'd also like to mention the lower belt seems to be optional as well. This is a difficult CRL as there are a number of configurations. I'd like to move that belt/ammo pouch combinations be worked in almost like the TIE helmet patterns are. Basically, these are the references we have, you can do those, but a combination of them would be acceptable as well. IE... I want an ammo pouch on my chest but don't want a 2nd belt. or I want 2nd belt but don't want any ammo pouches...

Optional parts and configurations are under review. The trick is figuring out what parts are optional in standard troopers, and which parts were changed up to add personalization to face characters.

• Like 1

As of this time, there hasn't been one suggested, however feel free to look for jackets of similar design and post them for review.

I thought I saw someone posted that they used a German WWII Officers tunic. Can that be a substitute?? There are companies that sell reproductions for WWII re enactors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it was custom sewn, that actually makes it easier.

We can make it to the size we need, not an off the shelf maybe it will fit item.

Ive been out of the loop for a few days, looks like we are finally about to get floors after all this time!

• Like 2
On 6/17/2018 at 10:17 PM, pm07 said:

There was a post on one of the Mudtroopers groups that a member talked to the costume guy in person. He said the tunic was a custom sewn up job.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:09 PM, Tibberon said:

I thought I saw someone posted that they used a German WWII Officers tunic. Can that be a substitute?? There are companies that sell reproductions for WWII re enactors

On 6/18/2018 at 8:24 PM, Blackwatch said:

if it was custom sewn, that actually makes it easier.

We can make it to the size we need, not an off the shelf maybe it will fit item.

Ive been out of the loop for a few days, looks like we are finally about to get floors after all this time!

Just going to touch base here. If you have something that you think may work for a part of the costume and is not listed, then you can research using it, creating it, etc. If it matches p with the references we will seriously look at including it in the CRL. This goes for all CRLs. CRLs are living documents and change as each costume is researched further. Sometimes standards become more forgiving, sometimes they become tighter. However, they are always open to change in the light of new research.

That being said, you have to research the item and present it as an option. We cannot support changes to CRLs that are not investigated thoroughly. This usually includes buying or building the item to have an in hand reference, knowing that it may not be usable if it's decided that it doesn't fit as the component in question. That's the risk you take when researching new costumes and searching for alternate components for existing ones.

• Like 1

Looking forward to assisting with this CRL. Sone of the comments in the thread so far are based on research I have undertaken and conversations I have shared.

I'll compile a BIG list for you so you can update accordingly.

Hi,

Good job on the CRL

dont want to be a critic, but the owner of the armour should do some work to get it more accurate since this will be the base model of the legion regarding the mudtroopers. we all wanna be first....

Knee high boots is in the CRL but Tie Jackboots are shown

The backplate needs a cut on the back (bottom)

The chestplace misses some greeblies

The modified E-11 is offically called an E-10

The indent bottom of the respirator is curved. I mean nothing is flat on the resp, its a very organic design.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:30 AM, wlaagewaard said:

Hi,

Good job on the CRL

dont want to be a critic, but the owner of the armour should do some work to get it more accurate since this will be the base model of the legion regarding the mudtroopers. we all wanna be first....

Knee high boots is in the CRL but Tie Jackboots are shown

The backplate needs a cut on the back (bottom)

The chestplace misses some greeblies

The modified E-11 is offically called an E-10

The indent bottom of the respirator is curved. I mean nothing is flat on the resp, its a very organic design.

Cool, we're looking forward to reviewing your findings.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:58 AM, JAFO said:

Looking forward to assisting with this CRL. Sone of the comments in the thread so far are based on research I have undertaken and conversations I have shared.

I'll compile a BIG list for you so you can update accordingly.

The owner of the costume is working with the CRL team on this. This is a work in progress, not an official CRL as of yet. We'll look into the suggestions you've made.

I can make pretty much everything we see on this trooper but the goggles have me.  What is the original goggle and how was the seal formed?  

22 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I can make pretty much everything we see on this trooper but the goggles have me.  What is the original goggle and how was the seal formed?  

Apart from the nose bridge tensioner, it seems likely to be scratch made. According to a quote from Crossman in the Solo art book,  it was based off concept art and then "fabricated". The seal appears to be a sheet of rubber/foam cut to shape in some shots, and in others perhaps a thin sheet folded/rolled over to give a rounded edge.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

On 6/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, areilly said:

Apart from the nose bridge tensioner, it seems likely to be scratch made. According to a quote from Crossman in the Solo art book,  it was based off concept art and then "fabricated". The seal appears to be a sheet of rubber/foam cut to shape in some shots, and in others perhaps a thin sheet folded/rolled over to give a rounded edge.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Just keep in mind that the top goggle pic is of Rio and the goggles are slightly different to the ones worn by all other Muddys.

Were going to.need to pic one design and stick with it concerning the CRL  and the accompanying CRL  photo. 

I found an Etsy seller making goggles for this, now with these photos I can compare to the Etsy listing.  

• Like 1

I understand that the CRL might be far from being finalized.I have a couple of questions from doing some online "window shopping" on getting a jacket ..

Are there any updates on the jacket?... Using the  Belgian M64 Style would I need to remove the hood along with the angled pocket flaps?.....Is the M65 US Military field jacket in the running for being acceptable?

And while I think of it....

Is the use of a mask going to be optional? and would a leather lower belt be acceptable?

My apologizes if these have been answered an I have missed the posts.Thank you to everyone this has had a role in putting together the CRL so far.

30 minutes ago, Kobra883 said:

I understand that the CRL might be far from being finalized.I have a couple of questions from doing some online "window shopping" on getting a jacket ..

Are there any updates on the jacket?... Using the  Belgian M64 Style would I need to remove the hood along with the angled pocket flaps?.....Is the M65 US Military field jacket in the running for being acceptable?

Is the use of a mask going to be optional? and would a leather lower belt be acceptable?

My apologizes if these have been answered an I have missed the posts.Thank you to everyone this has had a role in putting together the CRL so far.

It has been stated publicly by the SASWS costume tram that the tunic and pants were custom. At this stage, and based on close scrutiny of the tunic and what you can actually see, it would appear to be a combination of both the Imperial and First Order Officer Tunics. This is a very rough sketch of how I see the tunic looking underneath the armour. I am in the process of trying to get this verified.

Whilst no Mudtrooper is seen to actually wear a respirator in the film they do all carry them. I personally believe they are relevant to the CRL. Same for the goggles.

MT jacket.png

• Like 1

I agree with you that the mask is relevant and should be apart of the CRL. My question a rose from studying the image in the reference book of the lead actor playing Solo not wearing a mask at all.Basically just wondering

I agree with you about how the jacket looks more like a combination of the tunics.This is the last piece I need for the soft parts for this outfit and I am anxious to see how this part will be written up.

Thank you again for your help

36 minutes ago, Kobra883 said:

My question a rose from studying the image in the reference book of the lead actor playing Solo not wearing a mask at all.Basically just wondering

Interestingly, Solo is the ONLY Mudtrooper seen wearing a respirator in the movie...albeit for 2 seconds :)

Remember that with items on the CRL, level one approval requires something to have the appearance of screen accuracy, though that may not be the case.

Level two approval can be the stricter standards (I.e.  modified military jacket vs custom made.)

7 hours ago, Kobra883 said:

I cannot tell you what is acceptable or not until the CRL is finalized. If you think something fits, would like to take a risk on it, go ahead. However, I will not say what is or is not acceptable, as even what is currently listed hasn't yet been deemed acceptable for the build.

This is only a CRL proposal to be studied, and modified until we have something that portrays screen accuracy. This isn't a build guide, and should not be used as one at this time.

If you'd rather not risk wasting time and money on possibly the wrong components, I'd suggest waiting until the CRL is fully approved and goes live.

14 hours ago, izzi said:

I cannot tell you what is acceptable or not until the CRL is finalized. If you think something fits, would like to take a risk on it, go ahead. However, I will not say what is or is not acceptable, as even what is currently listed hasn't yet been deemed acceptable for the build.

This is only a CRL proposal to be studied, and modified until we have something that portrays screen accuracy. This isn't a build guide, and should not be used as one at this time.

If you'd rather not risk wasting time and money on possibly the wrong components, I'd suggest waiting until the CRL is fully approved and goes live.

This is my first time to follow the creation of a CRL and yes I have had to remind myself that  this is not being a build thread.I have absolutely zero experience with following the creation and fully understanding what goes into the a CRL. I am in zero hurries to complete this outfit.I am enjoying watching this CRL come together while trying understand the process.My apologizes for not being able to add something helpful to the process....Thank you for answering my questions

• Like 1