New CRL Development - Mud Trooper

izzi

I would say the for level one that the jacket is a dark grey or washed black lightly dusted with the olive green.  I found this is easier to get a match on what was used than to try to take a olive jacket and get it to grey.   Its quite easy to dust the dark grey with a mist of green when you are weathering it with mud. 

Jason and I spent a lot of time going over the jacket and here is what we think is pretty darn close.  Truth is about the only part that really matters is the sleeves and the part that comes out under the armor.  Once you have everything on you don't see much of it.  I actually think I am going to replace whats under the armor with mesh to let in cool air.  Its hot.

The only shot we have of the collar is shown here.  

jacket.jpg

From what Darren has posted on the color of the armor, I found that the numbers in Technogrip's numbering sequence  is actually Panatone colors which is awesome.  Thanks Daren.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/350-CP

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder?q=7535U

5 hours ago, izzi said:

Here are my thoughts in RED....

Pants

• Pants are Black BDU/Work pants with double reinforced thighs. Black cotton pants with double reinforced thighs would be a true description.
  • They do not have pockets or other adornment on the legs.
  • Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.

Anything else that needs to be added to the pants?

Tunic/Jacket

• A long-sleeved, Olive Drab or Field Grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid thigh. - (Do we have references for both colors or do we need to choose only one?) I reckon we stick with the description Olive Grey.
  • Shall be moderately to heavily weathered.
  • Has a ??? collar. - (I'm assuming a mandarin collar but I can't find an exact reference due to the scarves) A few pics show a V neck pointed collar but we are yet to see a full shot.
  • Has two "flaps" on either side of the front zipper approximately ??? in width. - (Do we have a measurement here?) What are these flaps? The hidden zipper starts at the waist.
  • Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve approximately ??? in height. - (Every jacket I can see has that stitching up the forearm that is either a cuff or gives the appearance of one. They look to be around 5-6" high to me. What is everyone else's thoughts on this?) Agree on the length. It's a big differentiator to a normal jacket.
  • If pockets are present they are hidden or barely noticable.

Optional Level 2:

• Jacket is made of a heavy wool twill or similar material. Jacket is made of Olive Grey Denim.
  • There is an imperial cog patch sewn on each shoulder. This is still largely assumption.  We've seen a cog on Val's right shoulder (behind the scenes), and one on Han's left (production). No other reference yet.
  • No pockets are present on jacket.

Is there anything else that is being missed on the jacket? 

I think I have found the fabric.  Its 100% cotton so washed a few times I think it would look spot on.    Darren is right that its called Olive Grey Denim.  But we need to be careful of this because I also found a number of "Olive Greys" that were a lot more green than grey.  What appears to be used was much more grey than olive. 

11458.jpg?w=500

Screen-Shot-2018-07-22-at-6.30.40-PM.png

5 minutes ago, amcclary said:

I think I have found the fabric.  Its 100% cotton so washed a few times I think it would look spot on.    Darren is right that its called Olive Grey Denim.  But we need to be careful of this because I also found a number of "Olive Greys" that were a lot more green than grey.  What appears to be used was much more grey than olive. 

11458.jpg?w=500

Screen-Shot-2018-07-22-at-6.30.40-PM.png

This is the same company you are referring to: https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/bull-denim-olive-denim-12oz-56-57-discounted-fabric-special-buy/

Their Olive is actually a lot more grey in real life. It will all come down to lighting conditions.

Like everything in a CRL as long as we use terms like "looks like in appearance" it leaves some leeway for people.

10 hours ago, izzi said:

Updated descriptions:

Pants

• Black heavy cotton pants with double reinforced thighs.

Tunic/Jacket

• A long-sleeved, Olive Grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid thigh.
  • Has a mandarin style collar with an open front - (taken from the couple movie stills and the Hot Toys figure as a supporting reference)
  • Has two panels on either side of the front, hidden zipper, extending to the bottom of the jacket with a width of approximately ???. - (Still need a rough estimate for those panels)
  • Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve that extends to around the middle of the forearm.
  • If side pockets are present, they are built into the jacket, with no covering flaps present.
  • No outer stitched pockets are acceptable unless they are fully covered by the armor.
  • May have code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom on the arm hole.

Optional Level 2:

• Jacket is made of an Olive Grey 12-14 oz Bull denim Twill material.
  • There is an imperial cog patch sewn on each shoulder.
  • There are code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom on the arm hole.

Thoughts on those jacket panels next to the zipper?

That all sounds good.  My only change is that in the description of the color  "olive grey that leans more toward dark grey"  or even specify a Pantone color.  If you Google "Olive Grey" you end up with a really wide range of tones between Olive Green and Grey.  Olive Grey I feel is not descriptive enough. 

As far as the Pantone color goes, the staff feels specifying of would be too restricting, a "close enough" color judged from the images in the CRL is usually enough.

As mentioned above, it's possible that even a tunic leaning more towards olive can be made to appear more Grey with the right weathering.

Right now I'll leave the color as is, but I'll look to see if there are any similar instances in the current CRLs out there and how that was worded.

• Like 1
On 7/22/2018 at 2:59 PM, amcclary said:

From what Darren has posted on the color of the armor, I found that the numbers in Technogrip's numbering sequence  is actually Panatone colors which is awesome.  Thanks Daren.

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/350-CP

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder?q=7535U

One thing to be careful with regarding PMS color codes is the suffix, in this case the armor green is 350 U - C* series colors will appear as a brighter shade and indicate glossy finishes, where U series are flatter and duller and indicate matte finishes. If you're ordering custom mix paints or looking for similar matches this detail can be important.

armor-gray-PMS7535U.jpg

armor-green-PMS350U.jpg

23 hours ago, izzi said:

Thoughts on those jacket panels next to the zipper?

I think more important is to state there are "no visible zippers" and recognise that the zipper does not extend to the bottom of the jacket. It starts at navel height and goes to the neck.

I just received the first sample from our tailor.  There are changes that need to be made but thought it might provide a place for discussion. 

We put in a double zipper on it.  How do we know the zipper doesn't extend to the bottom?  What are the references for this?

jacket-1.jpg

jacket_back.jpg

3 hours ago, amcclary said:

I just received the first sample from our tailor.  There are changes that need to be made but thought it might provide a place for discussion. 

We put in a double zipper on it.  How do we know the zipper doesn't extend to the bottom?  What are the references for this?

A few things to consider here.

There are several images available that show how the bottom of the jacket parts. There is no zipper visible.

Given the tunic appears largely inspired by an FO Officer it would follow that no bottom zip exists.

Beyond this, I have anecdotal evidence from my on-set contact that no zip was present on the bottom of the tunic.

3 hours ago, amcclary said:

Good info Darren. 
So here are a couple of questions:
Do you know if the zipper ended at the seem or does it go down a bit further? 

Does one side of the jacket overlap the other or do the two parts meet in the middle like my sample? 

18 hours ago, VadersWingman said:

Anything I can do to help expedite the CRL I’d be glad to help. I’m XO for JRS and have written 5 CRL’s for the detachment as well as cleaned up existing ones. 

Do we want to expedite or get it right?

At this point I think we know enough about this costume to put together at least a level 1 CRL.  I too would be willing to help.   There may be some more minor details we find out later but those could be added as level 2 .

There is a lot of enthusiasm for this costume and if a CRL isn’t developed in a timely fashion then people will lose interest.   I saw this happen with the Pratorian Guards.   

• Like 1
At this point I think we know enough about this costume to put together at least a level 1 CRL.  I too would be willing to help.   There may be some more minor details we find out later but those could be added as level 2 .
There is a lot of enthusiasm for this costume and if a CRL isn’t developed in a timely fashion then people will lose interest.   I saw this happen with the Pratorian Guards.   

I know what you mean. In my opinion, I also feel as if we have a handle on most info for this kit. Same with the variation of medic and officer with this kit. There is also the one of the heavy gunner variant.

You all have been doing a fantastic job with this kit! I congratulate all of you on all of the hard work to get this going. Keep up the amazing work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pushing this forward for @izzi a bit.  Before we move on to the next set of pieces, are there any adjustments to the tunic and pants that need to be considered (please take note of his previous questions in yellow)?  Here was his latest update for review...

Updated descriptions (as of 7/22):

Pants

Tunic/Jacket

• A long-sleeved, Olive Grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid thigh.
  • Has a mandarin style collar with an open front - (taken from the couple movie stills and the Hot Toys figure as a supporting reference)
  • Has two panels on either side of the front, hidden zipper, extending to the bottom of the jacket with a width of approximately ???. - (Still need a rough estimate for those panels)
  • Has a stitched "cuff" on the sleeve that extends to around the middle of the forearm.
  • If side pockets are present, they are built into the jacket, with no covering flaps present.
  • No outer stitched pockets are acceptable unless they are fully covered by the armor.
  • May have code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom on the arm hole.

Optional Level 2:

• There are code cylinder pockets on both outside panels of the jacket from about half way between the top and bottom on the arm hole.
5 hours ago, Raider said:

Pushing this forward for @izzi a bit.  Before we move on to the next set of pieces, are there any adjustments to the tunic and pants that need to be considered (please take note of his previous questions in yellow)?  Here was his latest update for review...

Updated descriptions (as of 7/22):

Pants

Tunic/Jacket

• A long-sleeved, Olive Grey, jacket that falls between upper and mid thigh.
  • Has a mandarin style collar with an open front - (taken from the couple movie stills and the Hot Toys figure as a supporting reference)

Optional Level 2:

I think everything is pretty good with this now though I still question what is meant by "two panels on either side of the front, hidden zipper". Is this referring to the seams that run up the centre on each side of the front of the tunic?  If so, those seams are approx. 6inches from the centre.

14 hours ago, JAFO said:

I think everything is pretty good with this now though I still question what is meant by "two panels on either side of the front, hidden zipper". Is this referring to the seams that run up the centre on each side of the front of the tunic?  If so, those seams are approx. 6inches from the centre.

I messaged @izzi to clarify and he is referring to the bottom portion of the tunic (where it splits)…there is a seam of stitching on the left and right that appear to make "panels."   I think it's exactly what you referenced @JAFO.  So we are talking approx. 6" in width?  If so, I can edit/update and then move on to the next 2 pieces.  Thanks!

Mud - Book 4.jpg

36 minutes ago, Raider said:

I messaged @izzi to clarify and he is referring to the bottom portion of the tunic (where it splits)…there is a seam of stitching on the left and right that appear to make "panels."   I think it's exactly what you referenced @JAFO.  So we are talking approx. 6" in width?  If so, I can edit/update and then move on to the next 2 pieces.  Thanks!

Mud - Book 4.jpg

If there's no comments from anyone else I think it's time to move to the next section.

Next pieces to discuss will be boots and gloves...remember as Izzi stated earlier...we are not pinning down which boots and gloves fit the mold. Rather, we are defining what features need to be present for the pants or jacket to pass inspection (copy/paste verbatim lol).  This is what was initially presented...we can edit/adjust from there.

Boots

Knee High black leather or leather like material.
“Kersey� or “jackboot� style.
Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles on the instep or any other embellishments.
Boots may have a single adjustment strap at the top outside of the boot. This need not be functional.
Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed.
If the zipper is not covered by vinyl/ leather, it is painted black.
Boots shall be tall enough to fit both shin straps.
Boots shall be heavily weathered

Gloves

Black gloves with black leather or leather-like material on the palm, thumb, and forefinger.
The black oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.
Gloves have a U shaped velcro closure.
Gloves shall have all logos removed.
Highlander brand special ops gloves are best match to reference.