Sith Trooper Build

Behold...resolutions!

Very cool! That is a huge amount of work.

How thick is the rondo layer? Are you going to add more in the corners to round it out, or just sand down the flats? I'm mostly thinking of the concave section of the curve over and in front of the ear.

Have you considered getting a little handheld orbital sander for the large sections? I hope you're wearing a mask, that dust can't be healthy.

Keep at it! I've been following this thread for a while now. Quite enjoying seeing the process in detail.

• 5 weeks later...

So after a month hiatus doing many fun things and many not so fun things, I've finally found time to get back on this project. Not too much noticeable progress since my last post, but I've put in a good couple hours sanding and patching. I think I might finally be at the point where I'm doing final patches, but I've thought that before lol. Here's how the helmet looks now. All the circled spots are where I'm going to add rondo.

p5250025.jpg

p5250027.jpg

p5250028.jpg

p5250029.jpg

All I have on my plate for tomorrow is driving my roommate to the airport, so expect more soon! I've also been playing around with visors. I'm still debating between a flat plastic visor like what's used for almost ever other helmet out there and actually making a visor that I'll cast in a clear resin and tint. I think the cast visor would look a lot better, but I might just call that an upgrade that I'll work on once I have all the armor finished. Here's a few shots of the helmet with the visor. The visor slipped down in the second shot as nothing was holding it in place besides my forehead. Ideally it would be at the same height as in the bottom image.

p5250041.jpg

p5250043p.jpg

SithTroopers.jpg

So after many hours of sanding, I give you...the same thing you've seen in previous pictures! Only smoother! And with primer! Frankly, I'm pretty much done with the helmet. It's only possible for me to get this to a certain level before the time spent fixing small errors just isn't worth it. And I'm ready to move on. Next up is either the shoulder pad or the calf piece.

p5270001.jpg

p5270002l.jpg

Of course it had to chip away in the most visible place. Where else would it chip?

p5270005.jpg

With a few small exceptions, this is turning out better than I'd hoped!

p5270006n.jpg

Except for the chip in the front, the left side turned out very well. The white is just where I sanded through the primer coat (I only did one layer).

p5270007.jpg

Left side, not so much. That long skinny area in the front is going to be a total pain to fix. I thought I got it last time, but obviously not.

p5270008.jpg

Not too much sanding left on this side. The arcing groove is going to be the real pain though.

p5270010.jpg

This side needs a LOT of jaw work. No real problems though.

p5270011.jpg

And because at this point, I just couldn't resist...

p5270012.jpg

p5270013.jpg

p5270017.jpg

p5270021.jpg

p5270024z.jpg

And to finish off the night, I did a paint test. It looks like the Rustoleum beats the Krylon. I'm still planning on doing an aluminum cold cast, but it looks like paint works just fine, not chrome.

p5270027.jpg

And to dartoftruth and lunar lord. I plan on making kits :thumbsup: That's still a ways off though, so don't get too excited. But...there's a good chance I might sell the helmet and armor separately...

And to dartoftruth and lunar lord. I plan on making kits :thumbsup: That's still a ways off though, so don't get too excited. But...there's a good chance I might sell the helmet and armor separately...

Too late. Already excited. hahah. Looking good mate!

I'll be honest. I am sick of dealing with the helmet right now. So all I did today was make a new shoulder pad. I'm quite happy with how it turned out as I haven't pepped anything in...months. Not sure how many months. Multiple months. But it turned out very symmetrical, better than the last one I made. Good to know pepakura skills don't just atrophy very fast. Not sure if I'm going to work on fiberglassing this before finishing the helmet, but I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of work over the weekend. I might just work on pepping those pieces that I've already successfully sized (left and right arms, calves) and then work on fiberglassing and bondoing everything at the same time so I have something to do while different pieces cure. I'm also toying around with the idea of doing several videos showing my personal process of making armor from Pekura and Bondo. There are approximately 42 million videos like this on youtube, but none of them are what I would consider quality instructional videos. What do you guys think? Would making videos be a good idea? Oh yeah, and here's the shoulder pad.

p6010003n.jpg

• 8 months later...

just read through this entire progression and im floored with how interesting this process is. looks like your doing an amazing job job cant wait to see progress man.

was wondering to my self if you have had any school education which helps you when doing these builds or if anyone else has education or jobs related to prop costume making etc.

• 7 months later...

just read through this entire progression and im floored with how interesting this process is. looks like your doing an amazing job job cant wait to see progress man.

was wondering to my self if you have had any school education which helps you when doing these builds or if anyone else has education or jobs related to prop costume making etc.

Nope. I am entirely self taught. I unfortunately had to shelve this project as school (and work) had to take a priority over costuming for a while. However, I am now getting back into it and thanks to some of my classes, I'm actually going to be starting a much larger project. As this is a forum that I greatly respect, I am actually going to make this announcement here, albeit hidden in this thread as it's quite premature.

I am going to be starting my own armor studio, similar to farawaycreations, mywickedarmor, volpinprops etc. Fairly soon, I'm going to start a rockethub (crowdfunding similar to kickstarter) to get the whole thing started. My entrepreneurship business class has been a large inspiration for this and I've actually been able to work on this idea as a class project for a while. After giving several pitches and really researching it, I realized this is not only something that I could do, but something that I would love to do. Two of my business professors have also been kind enough to help me with planning this out. Instead of doing the Pepakura method, I plan on purchasing a 3D printer to use for most of my initial fabrication. The cost on 3D printers has really started coming down and would allow me very quick turn around time from idea to kit, as well as a whole myriad of other benefits over traditional methods.

I already have very large workshop space available to me, someone in mind to help me with prototype armor builds, someone to help with painting show/example costumes, two different 3D printers (I will just be getting one, but which depends on how well the fundraising goes) and last, but perhaps most importantly, an inexhaustible passion for this project.

I will mostly be working on Star Wars costumes primarily, but will definitely branch out to other universes at times. I'm going to do my best to not infringe on existing armor markets unless I think I can make improvements to the point where it would be worth it (we REALLY don't need someone else making stormtrooper armor for example). So I'm mostly going to be doing costumes that don't currently have kits. As luck would have it, no one has done the Sith Trooper since I stepped off this project and it's a costume I am *very* familiar with now. So this is almost certainly going to be the first thing I do. Other ideas I have include Shae Vizla/Braden from SWTOR (for those unfamiliar with that game, that's basically the female and male Mandalorian/bounty hunter armor circa 3643 BBY) and the Coruscant Guard armor.

I think videos would be awesome, being able to apply that directly to troopers would be great

Besides just making costumes, I want to make tutorial videos to both explain the process that goes into making the armor, from 3D printing to molding and casting to vacuuforming, and also how to build each kit I start making. Too many sellers that I see just leave it up to the buyers to puzzle out how best to put their kit together and I think that's something that can be improved upon. I feel very strongly about building the cosplay community as a whole, but the 501st especially. There has been a lot of drama in my local squad that has contributed to my pulling away from the costuming world. I want to switch to actively trying to fix things rather than pull back as I know many other people besides myself have done in similar situations.

My goal is to have my rockethub page started by the end of November. If everything after that goes according to plan, I hope to bring (and possibly be joined by others) a Sith Trooper to Celebration Europe II next July.

If anyone has any questions about absolutely anthing relating to this project, my Sith Trooper armor or anything at all really don't hesitate to ask. Also, any general comments or constructive criticisms are always welcomed.

• 1 year later...

So i see the last post on this was 2 years ago, I am curious to know if this project was ever completed?

The work on this must have been tremendous reading the posts and looking at the pics. I must say this costume has peeked my interest, the red version of course.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

So i see the last post on this was 2 years ago, I am curious to know if this project was ever completed?

The work on this must have been tremendous reading the posts and looking at the pics. I must say this costume has peeked my interest, the red version of course.

:)

So I just wrote out a long reply to this and hit post but now I'm not seeing anything. It's late and I need to get to bed so I'll just say that no, it was never completed, I've just started looking into finishing it again, I'll be using a 3D printer for everything this time because the thought of doing everything in Pepakura again makes my head hurt.

So I just wrote out a long reply to this and hit post but now I'm not seeing anything. It's late and I need to get to bed so I'll just say that no, it was never completed, I've just started looking into finishing it again, I'll be using a 3D printer for everything this time because the thought of doing everything in Pepakura again makes my head hurt.

Hello

Oh ok sorry things didnt work out for you the first time. I find it to be rather neat build and may end up a future project of mine. :) thanks for getting back to me. sorry your first post didnt post.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, still hard at work on figuring this thing out. Making this costume with a CNC machine and a 3D printer is a very different process from pepakura, but will result in a much better costume in the long run. I'm just going to throw a bunch of the current armor breakdown pics up here for people to see as I probably won't have physical pieces cut until the week after DragonCon. The first image is a breakdown of each of the armor pieces as far as how they are going to be cut out/printed. The second one is a comparison between the old 3d models I had access to and the new ones (old right side, new left side).

YwmsDwX.pngqUXeSBW.pngOLfLkXx.png

That looks great. Impressive work so far on this ambitious project.