Zugor’s WIP

9 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

That's looking good!

Thanks! I just wish it was going faster.

I had some time so I spent about 2 hours sanding the dome of my helmet. I am using 100 grit sandpaper. I was using 220 but it was taking a really long time to get the paint off and I started loosing my patience. The 100 is a bit rough but it gets the job done and I go over it with the 220 to remove any scratches that would show up after painting. I am also thinking that if I see any scratches after I primer it I can sand that area down with 400 and respray it with primer to fill in the scratches, but I haven't seen any scratches in the other parts so I think I am good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Its amazing to me how hard it is to get this spray paint off the plastic. I think once the paint has cured its just about bullet proof and given that this helmet has been hanging around for a few years before I started working on it I would say the paint on it has definitely cured. The next time I get to work on this I will try to get the rest of the paint off and then primer it. Then I will work on the ears and then the magnetic shin closures before setting everything up for paint and clear coat.

• Like 2

They definitely did the right prep work with it being that hard to come off. I've had luck with filler primer being able to do some of the legwork of taking care of sanding.

I got ambitious over the weekend and painted all the parts, now everything has two coats of paint. Only trouble is I ran out of paint so I need to save up some money to get some more paint. If you don't know red auto paint is the most expensive paint there is.

spacer.png

I think the color darkened up nicely from the first coat. One more coat of paint on everything and then I will clear coat it. The only parts that I haven't hit with paint yet are the helmet "ears" and the shins which still need me to make the magnetic closure parts. I think I am going to hit the back sides of some of these parts in areas that could possibly show, like the chest plate straps just so all the potentially visible areas are red and no chance of someone seeing the underlying plastic color like you can in this picture.

• Like 2

My boots arrived today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The leather on these boots is pretty thin. They fit a little loose and feel like vinyl. I know they are leather but really soft and thin. Does anyone have experience with Crowprops? Is this what they usually deliver? It looks great but feels a bit, I don't want to say cheap but they don't feel like boots we used to get from TKBoots.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Zugor said:

I got ambitious over the weekend and painted all the parts, now everything has two coats of paint. Only trouble is I ran out of paint so I need to save up some money to get some more paint. If you don't know red auto paint is the most expensive paint there is.

spacer.png

I think the color darkened up nicely from the first coat. One more coat of paint on everything and then I will clear coat it. The only parts that I haven't hit with paint yet are the helmet "ears" and the shins which still need me to make the magnetic closure parts. I think I am going to hit the back sides of some of these parts in areas that could possibly show, like the chest plate straps just so all the potentially visible areas are red and no chance of someone seeing the underlying plastic color like you can in this picture.

Very nice! That clear coat will make it pop! I did hit the back area in a few parts when I did my Incinerator trooper because I had the same concerns as you and it helped.

5 minutes ago, Zugor said:

My boots arrived today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The leather on these boots is pretty thin. They fit a little loose and feel like vinyl. I know they are leather but really soft and thin. Does anyone have experience with Crowprops? Is this what they usually deliver? It looks great but feels a bit, I don't want to say cheap but they don't feel like boots we used to get from TKBoots.

I don't have any experience with Crowprops (only IB) but it looks pretty similar in thickness to my IB ones from what I can see in the pic.