Dishrack's Triple Zero

Dishrack

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Owing to some nicer weather here - however fleeting - I got back outside for a bit more sanding and painting. After several frustrating and futile attempts to hide the join lines on the leg parts, I shelved them in favour of a quick win: Hands.

In order to maintain maximum dexterity without fear of the fingers falling off, I have suspended each digit on elastic attached back to the hand plate. I also added Velcro to the back of the hand plate and the underglove to hold it in place, however this has proved unnecessary and honestly bothersome as it holds the hand in place too well. I think I'll get away with the cuff of the arm keeping the hand plate in place.

A small update but good to be back at it.

319051616_10160559350759711_3350401996360222539_n.thumb.jpg.e42bd2fa60029fb3e71593a942c2633c.jpg

318575336_10160559350699711_5854443438736409016_n.thumb.jpg.14d343c9c0bf9d0a9817f6db3267e436.jpg319013975_10160559350734711_1176044556388222876_n.thumb.jpg.a5b72633f2b9e85504ace39c0cef5202.jpg

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, Dishrack said:

817829659_21-torsoclose.thumb.jpg.8c290ed5453042b087b274a5addc7038.jpg
I enjoy that the metallic base under the gloss layer gives a slightly grey tone in certain light, consistent with how Triple Zero changed between grey and black in different frames of the comic.

Jon,

Since I’ve restarted the 000 project, you can expect to see me reviving posts from ages past. 😆

What color paint is this?

Last year I was painting my Deathtrooper helmet and sprayed Tamiya Metallic Black TS40 over a very glossy black base coat. The resulting color was phenomenal, but had to be repainted because it was too dark to satisfy the “metallic dark grey” requirement. However, last night while I was at the hobby store, I picked up another two cans with the goal of intentionally replicating my past error. I can’t help but think yours looks similar, but wanted to check with you. 

Also, now that it’s fresh on my mind, where did you get those lenses you used for your eyes, or what are they called? I know we’re talking a couple years in the past now, but I was about to order some clear resin and thought I’d see if you could remember first. The resin should work, but yours looks like an awesome alternative.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

Jon,

Since I’ve restarted the 000 project, you can expect to see me reviving posts from ages past. 😆

What color paint is this?

Last year I was painting my Deathtrooper helmet and sprayed Tamiya Metallic Black TS40 over a very glossy black base coat. The resulting color was phenomenal, but had to be repainted because it was too dark to satisfy the “metallic dark grey” requirement. However, last night while I was at the hobby store, I picked up another two cans with the goal of intentionally replicating my past error. I can’t help but think yours looks similar, but wanted to check with you. 

Also, now that it’s fresh on my mind, where did you get those lenses you used for your eyes, or what are they called? I know we’re talking a couple years in the past now, but I was about to order some clear resin and thought I’d see if you could remember first. The resin should work, but yours looks like an awesome alternative.

Thanks!

No worries at all. It's good to have some motivation to get back into it. 

I used Dupli-Color automotive spray paint. In Australia, the colour is called Holden Black Metallic, but Holden likely translates to General Motors in other countries. The colour code is DSH101.

The eye lenses are from LED downlights, specifically ones that had three LEDs for that triangular pattern. I picked them up as spare parts from https://au.rs-online.com/ but they don't seem to stock them anymore. You could probably buy the lights from hardware and butcher them for the lenses but it might be pricey?

Hope that's helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Dishrack said:

No worries at all. It's good to have some motivation to get back into it. 

I used Dupli-Color automotive spray paint. In Australia, the colour is called Holden Black Metallic, but Holden likely translates to General Motors in other countries. The colour code is DSH101.

The eye lenses are from LED downlights, specifically ones that had three LEDs for that triangular pattern. I picked them up as spare parts from https://au.rs-online.com/ but they don't seem to stock them anymore. You could probably buy the lights from hardware and butcher them for the lenses but it might be pricey?

Hope that's helpful.

This is all helpful. Thanks again. I’ll try to keep you motivated😆.

I just picked up a can of Duplicolor matte black for another project last night, so I might have to go back and grab some black metallic. However, if everything goes according to plan, I should be close to throwing down some paint on my 000 head this weekend. I’ll do some tests.

Regarding the lenses, I think I’ll go see what I can find at the hardware store. 

Ok, I think you’ve given me enough things to get started, now let’s see yours cross the finish line.

• Like 1