Imperial Flametrooper (Jedi Fallen Order)

2 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Ahhhh that sucks on the seam!

Yeah totally :(

I just checked it again and it is the same on every seams. Also the print lines (some of them at least) are still visible. I guess i failed at the sanding process. Too bad because my paint job wasn't bad for once ^^"

13 minutes ago, stevechewbacca said:

Yeah totally :(

I just checked it again and it is the same on every seams. Also the print lines (some of them at least) are still visible. I guess i failed at the sanding process. Too bad because my paint job wasn't bad for once ^^"

It sucks that it can't be hidden by weathering!!

So, here are some pics of where I am :) 

- Comparison of my backpack with a snowie's (there will obviously be a big filling and sanding process :p)
IMG_20210816_141053.thumb.jpg.6888d3a178f8ad9b2500ae57dd8d7bbf.jpg

- Test fit of my secondary parts on it to check the fitting and size (it is all perfect)
IMG_20210816_143714.thumb.jpg.59048a1dde69dc94c9b8feac1e5242ef.jpg

- Sanding again the helmet to get rid of the lines and seams. It should work this time and the places where it is not 100% clean will be perfect for the dusty weathering process :) 
IMG_20210816_133436.thumb.jpg.700408f11ce6221d67b9c77f78d130d6.jpgIMG_20210816_163953.thumb.jpg.2ec6bd9c6966bf63d95e554d088face2.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, nanotek said:

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.43.56 am.png

Oh yeah I see. I would say that this is a kind of perspective matter in this pic. I tryied to put some material and it looked quite good. I'll show you when I got the real good textured skirt to glue ;)

Also, today's progress : 
- The last 2 pieces of the back pack are waiting at my friend's so I should get them by the week end.
- Helmet white paint done. I have made some little mistakes but none that cannot be used for the weathering process as I've done far worse on my shoretrooper or my navy commando ^^
IMG_20210820_130415.thumb.jpg.0b198bc0eb31edb8e518aec644195fec.jpgIMG_20210820_121830.thumb.jpg.e265821d9af661a41ea04a03028a4a81.jpg

Cheers ! 

- Steve

• Like 3
On 8/21/2021 at 12:17 PM, stevechewbacca said:

Thank you ! :)
Well : filler, sanding, primer, sanding, color, repeat xD until you got something you're ok with ^^"

Really tests your patience! :lol:

14 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Really tests your patience! :lol:

I know right :D

Ok some little updates : 
- visor mounted on the eyes part
- 2 last pieces of the backpack secured. Need a lot of work on them so I ordered foam and filler to do so. 
- material glue received, new material for the skirt and gueter on its way

• Like 1

Looking amazing so far! I look forward to seeing this finished! I bet this would be the only way my Garrison could get me into a snowy like costume! ?

9 hours ago, stevechewbacca said:

Today's update :

- Last material for the gueters is received
- Main part of the back pack is secured with foam and mounted :) 

IMG_20210826_164542.thumb.jpg.b96af58ceb8d46cf6ee1550a44981335.jpg
IMG_20210826_165124.thumb.jpg.7a9ec119450f7590bb479aca7c2b413b.jpg

Explain for me whats going on w that foam plz.  Just curious.

@Scubacat Ud be melting all the snow away in this puppy lol

2 hours ago, RAIDER said:

@Scubacat Ud be melting all the snow away in this puppy lol

@RAIDER You know it! Not a fan of the cold! I may live in the most snowy filled garrison, but I will fight becoming a blizzard force for as long as I can. ?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Scubacat said:

Looking amazing so far! I look forward to seeing this finished! I bet this would be the only way my Garrison could get me into a snowy like costume! ?

Thank you very much ! :) 
Same here haha ! I never liked the snowie look but when JFO came, the flame was like a love at first sight xD I really loved his skull like face mostly.

5 hours ago, RAIDER said:

In fact it is a spray can, you apply the foam into 3/4 of your area you want to fill and it grows by itself during approximately 2 hours. Then you cut the parts that are outside the area you wanted to fill with a simple cutter and you can sand it very easily. It it light weight and can help solidify some parts. 
Here I needed it because some areas were really thin so to get it more consistent and solid, I needed to reinforce them. 

Now I can put some filler on the full piece :)

• Like 1

Is the foam merely there to support two 3D printed pieces being glued together? What is it like in terms of weight? I know that there are tools out there used for welding plastic bumpers which might be more suited to this kind of work without adding weight. 

To reinforce my 3D printed stuff I added some fibreglass or used strips of plastic or used thin strips of metal melted into the plastic depending on what I was going for.

9 hours ago, nanotek said:

Is the foam merely there to support two 3D printed pieces being glued together? What is it like in terms of weight? I know that there are tools out there used for welding plastic bumpers which might be more suited to this kind of work without adding weight. 

To reinforce my 3D printed stuff I added some fibreglass or used strips of plastic or used thin strips of metal melted into the plastic depending on what I was going for.

It is there to prevent the thin parts from breaking. Unfortunately it adds some weight but not too much so that's ok.
The thing is that I hadn't any plastic left to do it. If I ever had to do it again I would try to add some resin. But in my appartment I cannot do that ^^'. So I choose the easiest way ?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, stevechewbacca said:

It is there to prevent the thin parts from breaking. Unfortunately it adds some weight but not too much so that's ok.
The thing is that I hadn't any plastic left to do it. If I ever had to do it again I would try to add some resin. But in my appartment I cannot do that ^^'. So I choose the easiest way ?

Another option might be to 3D model the parts for assembly, so instead of one big model and slicing it, you manufacture components that slot together for a more solid build.

Just thinking out loud :) I don't know if you plan on selling/sharing your files at the end of the build, but it might be worth considering either way as the majority of people probably don't have the larger printers. Me personally I don't mind the larger files because of 500x500x500 build volume

• Like 1

Today's update : 

- skirt added to the bottom of the helmet. I'll have to cut the edges to match the pattern of the helmet and let appear some black areas.
Not visible on the pic below : some adjustments will be required on the printed part underneath to make the jaws of the helmet less wide and more natural :) 
But overall I like it ! 

IMG_20210829_183845.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, nanotek said:

Looking great. I am concerned with one thing, and maybe you’re still working this out, and that’s the details just under the nose on the skirting

17FE8E2F-D59D-4842-9903-0591738D2514.jpeg

I also assume you’re going to be weathering the helmet and armour to match the skirting material?

This part is visible from a close view thanks to the 3D part underneath and will be more visible with the weathering ;)

Also I'll change the material used for a ligther one as it is meant to be almost the same hue as the suit. After that i'll weather the whole suit and armor to get something as realistic and matching possible. :)

[EDIT] On a second thought I will keep the same material to avoid destroying all my work and build the whole part again as I glued all together ?
My concern now is : how can I light its color slightly and on top of all, how can I add some material to get it longer and larger without it being too noticeable ? :S 

• Like 1

It almost looks like you'd want to glue/heat and press that upper part into a 3D printed part or whatever plastic you are usually for the details. It is hard to see where the face covering starts and the plastic part starts with that piece. Either way, we'll have to see the detail for the CRL.