Anarchy4’s Death Trooper WIP

I haven't printed anything by myself yet, but it looks good so far I think. You have to remove the bar in the middle of the eyes, because the eye lense is one continuous piece! Also, the tusks in your pics look strange as they are square, but they have to be oblong. I think most DT owners here used Tom Campbells files for their helmets when self printed. 

3 hours ago, Lt. Dan said:

I haven't printed anything by myself yet, but it looks good so far I think. You have to remove the bar in the middle of the eyes, because the eye lense is one continuous piece! Also, the tusks in your pics look strange as they are square, but they have to be oblong. I think most DT owners here used Tom Campbells files for their helmets when self printed. 

The piece may look a little wonky due to how I had to cut it unless you’re referring to the first set of pictures then I may have issues. After you mentioned the eye part now I notice it in the CRL photos so I’ll add that to my list of fixes.

13 hours ago, Anarchy4 said:

unless you’re referring to the first set of pictures then I may have issues.

Yes, second pic shows square tusks instead of oblong. Also the snout greeblie is hard to mention on that pic, but it looks odd too! As said, I´m not familiar with self printing, but you should think about using other files with more accurancy.

@Anarchy4 John, to be honest, the money that you saved by purchasing the Hex3D DT files, you're going to lose in having to change/fix your prints, for example, the nose bridge vent/ridges are inaccurate and the oval tusk attachment pieces on the front are round, not square, though a GML might pass it for Basic approval, it will not pass Level 2 approval should you wish to go that route. Before you print anything else, download the CRL photos of each piece and then do a side by side comparison and you will be able to see all the inaccurate sections that will need to be fixed/modified.

received_278103840128259.jpeg

received_292221738490380.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, Chaos said:

@Anarchy4 John, to be honest, the money that you saved by purchasing the Hex3D DT files, you're going to lose in having to change/fix your prints, for example, the nose bridge vent/ridges are inaccurate and the oval tusk attachment pieces on the front are round, not square, though a GML might pass it for Basic approval, it will not pass Level 2 approval should you wish to go that route. Before you print anything else, download the CRL photos of each piece and then do a side by side comparison and you will be able to see all the inaccurate sections that will need to be fixed/modified.

received_278103840128259.jpeg

received_292221738490380.jpeg

Well crud. I didn’t go with Hex3D to save money. I liked his stuff and then I found the DT and I thought it looked accurate based on the notes on the CRL but I guess I didn’t look close enough at the actual CRL photos. Maybe I’ll message Tom, everyone says his files are up to spec

On 7/10/2021 at 7:49 AM, Chaos said:

@Anarchy4 John, to be honest, the money that you saved by purchasing the Hex3D DT files, you're going to lose in having to change/fix your prints, 

Not to hijack John's thread, but I am doing research into a DT build and wondered if there was a significant cost savings with 3D printing vs buying an ABS or fiberglass kit?

I'm a newbie and haven't had a chance to check every DT armor post, but wouldn't mind some sort of price to quality matrix for all the build components and known sources. 

1 hour ago, RobC_TX1138 said:

Not to hijack John's thread, but I am doing research into a DT build and wondered if there was a significant cost savings with 3D printing vs buying an ABS or fiberglass kit?

I'm a newbie and haven't had a chance to check every DT armor post, but wouldn't mind some sort of price to quality matrix for all the build components and known sources. 

The helmet for example would have cost me about 50 USD. That’s unfinished and without sanding and blah blah.

**Thats with PETG filament.

So I'm doing this piece by piece due to free time and costs but for the helmet so far

First attempt using "free" files (i subscribe to a patreon for files in general and this happened to be in there)

I used roughly 1/2 a spool of filament so about $12.50

Attempt 2 using TDK Props' files 

From my estimations the helmet plus side attachment should require roughly 1.65 kg of filament which is roughly $45

So before sanding, refinishing and other clean up the helmet is running me about $57.50 + cost of TDK Props' files

**Also for reference I have not looked into buying premade kits. I doing this project this way mostly because I enjoy 3D printing and as a way to work on my skills.

• Like 2

I So I have 2 printers an Ender 3 and an Ender CR10. The 3 has a 220 x 220 x 250mm bed and the CR10 has a 300 x 300 x 400mm bed. With the 3 I just had to cut some of the larger pieces down (The pictures in here were printed on the 3). The CR10 can possibly print a full helmet if it’s one piece. It’s depends on the design and sizing

So glad you moved away from the Hex3D files, they are pretty bad and are not worth the time and effort correcting them. Honestly working with 3D prints is hard enough without having to remodel already printed parts. 

Looking forward to seeing how you progress!

39 minutes ago, nanotek said:

So glad you moved away from the Hex3D files, they are pretty bad and are not worth the time and effort correcting them. Honestly working with 3D prints is hard enough without having to remodel already printed parts. 

Looking forward to seeing how you progress!

If i wasn’t trying for 501st approval I probably would have finished the print to display or worst case sell to my Star Wars buyer.

• Like 1