Imperial Army Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

I will add the text for the pill shaped indentation on top of the belt box in the final text on the first page. 

We would need a good, clear, cropped shot of the box with the pill indentation for the belt box. 

here is the proposed final text for the blaster.  Please review. Once you guys give me the big thumbs up, Ill post this to the first post for Detachment and LMO review. 

I will change the text in this final proposal to reflect the shorter buttstock. 

Change Log 2.2 (FINAL)

E-10.5 Blaster

Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, cast, 3D print or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

The magazine is longer than Original Trilogy blasters.

Power Cylinders shall be mounted on top of the magazine well. R1 style power cylinders are preferred over ANH style.

A sliding stock is mounted on the endcap of the Blaster. The retractable feature need not function.

A Sling may be attached on one or two points of the Blaster.

3D printed blasters can not contain visible print lines and must be sanded smooth for a more realistic appearance.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Blaster shall be based on a real or replica S&T Sterling L2A1 AEG Airsoft Gun. (Folding Stock does not need to function) If an Airsoft Sterling is used, it must not function.

Grip assembly and blaster dimensions are based on an S&T Airsoft sterling. 

The recessed strip behind the bolt may be hollow, filled or partially filled.

Scope shall be a real or replica M.H.R. (Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Co.) 1943 model M38 Telescope.

Counter shall be a real or replica Hengstler 400 Series counter with small eagle logo. Large eagle logo is not allowed.

A grille shaped detail piece is attached on top of the Magazine. It features 8 slots.

6 rows of T-Tracks cover the Sterling receiver holes except for the lower left row with the bayonet lug.

A sling swivel may be fitted near the muzzle, on the same lower left row as the bayonet lug.  

A 3-Slot Picatinny rail is fitted on the row above the bayonet lug. The rail is affixed with two screws. The screws do not interfere with the rail slots. 

A sling swivel is fitted underneath the stock extension.

If a sling is attached, it is made of webbing and uses snap hook buckles. The sling is attached to the swivel underneath the stock.  

The stock is modelled after a 416C pattern. The buttplate on the stock may not be ribbed and has a pill shaped greeblie having three openings fitted. Two of the holes are circular, the central is rectangular.

The buttstock matches the size and shape of those seen on screen, being shorter overall than other Rogue One era buttstocks.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

The buttstock matches the size and shape of those seen on screen, being shorter overall than other Rogue One era buttstocks.  

I don't think adding this line makes a lot of sense, considering it's the exact same type of stock used on the Mudtrooper E-10.

It's a different Buttpad from the Death Trooper's E-11D, but since that weapon is effectively so different, I don't think it'd make much sense to add it as a point of comparison. 

The Range Trooper E-10R also has the same style of buttpad as the E-10.5 or the E-10. All the same configurations really. 

Example: Note how the bust from 2020 even has the same greeblie on the back of the stock? 

spacer.png

"The buttstock matches the size and shape of those seen on screen" might as well be a Level 1 line. The comparison should be deleted imo. 

In the end , we have to have both a text and photo description for GMLS who are not familiar with all the different versions of the multitude of weapons listed in CRLs. .  I can change the line, but i the end, does that help the GML who will have to approve it? Ive been a GML and had to work my way through a lot of vague descriptions.  

Ill wait for futher input before I proceed. 

• Like 1

We need to do our due diligence in helping out GMLs the best that we can with the CRL. Will we ever get everything perfect? No, but we can try. If we are using text such as "like in [movie name] or [screen/show/etc.]" then we should probably at a minimum have a gallery reference that displays a picture and/or a forum reference.

I also want to reiterate that if we are going to have it as an optional accessory, as blasters are, we will need someone to actually build it.

As far as the blaster currently goes, we can eliminate the text about 3D print lines (and in other parts as well). We have a blanket statement at the start of the CRL about 3D printing and removing artifacts: "3D Printed parts are permitted but all print lines and other artifacts must be removed." That was introduced with either the DT or Sith Trooper, if I remember correctly.

• Like 3
On 2/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, Detaleader said:

I don't think adding this line makes a lot of sense, considering it's the exact same type of stock used on the Mudtrooper E-10.

It's a different Buttpad from the Death Trooper's E-11D, but since that weapon is effectively so different, I don't think it'd make much sense to add it as a point of comparison. 

The Range Trooper E-10R also has the same style of buttpad as the E-10.5 or the E-10. All the same configurations really. 

Example: Note how the bust from 2020 even has the same greeblie on the back of the stock? 

spacer.png

"The buttstock matches the size and shape of those seen on screen" might as well be a Level 1 line. The comparison should be deleted imo.

I leave for a couple days and the post grows two pages... Lol.

@Detaleader, great call on the range trooper. You're correct that this is the same butt stock used on the Muddy's E-10, but unfortunately, it's been badly overlooked and we don't want the same mistake happening again. Case in point: here's the picture from the Muddy CRL which shows the shorter, incorrect butt:
7XCbA4R.jpg

That is the correct butt plate for the Deathtrooper, but makers overlooked this when making pretty much every available E-10 out there. My point in bringing it up was to illustrate that we need to ensure we're carrying the one that matches the references.

Here's another pic of the Range Trooper stock:
vXVOQl3.jpg

So again, we have the longer butt plate, but something else worth noting is the distinct shape of the butt which is actually annotated better in the Range Trooper since the plate's a different color. Even Chris noticed this a few nights ago after Justin and I both printed the new butt stock. Take a look at the Aldhani trooper in the upper right corner of my SBS pic and then the larger picture below that Cris sent me:
IUX6F7w.jpg

CvfQ7B7.png

So, unlike the upper real stock in my SBS picture, we see that the ones used by the Aldhani, Range, and Mud Trooper appear to be a two part construction, or something similar.

So, we got it wrong with the Mudtrooper CRL picture. Nothing egregious, and the blaster in the CRL is a fine piece which I believe is Sean Fields' design, but that stock is definitely wrong. So, I would argue that the verbiage should remain, or both CRLs be changed to reflect the correct application as shown on screen.

3 hours ago, sonfield said:

I used the latest butt stock that Chris designed.  it seems pretty damn close..  

I agree Justin... pretty damn close and you did an awesome job on the finish work. However, Chris is the one who pointed out the "two part construction" to me, so I'm sure he's already working on a v3. Lol.

I'll hit him up in the morning, but in the meantime... let's warm up our printers.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

So, unlike the upper real stock in my SBS picture, we see that the ones used by the Aldhani, Range, and Mud Trooper appear to be a two part construction, or something similar.

So, I would argue that the verbiage should remain, or both CRLs be changed to reflect the correct application as shown on screen.

I thought that's what I had expressed a couple of posts back, but I suppose I could have been clearer. Sorry about that! 

On 1/27/2023 at 5:55 AM, Detaleader said:

Since the E-10 and E-11 stock pads have the greeblie and no ribbing on it, you'd probably need a custom butt pad anyway, so I don't think it'd be too much of an issue. This is very much a difference in the real piece, but since we gotta change it up for Star Wars anyway, I don't think it'll matter too much. 

Ugh...

xhvRdGA.jpg

Ok. With wind chill, it's going to be single digits tomorrow. So even in my makeshift garage "paint booth," even with the space heater, my guess is that it'll get up to around 20 degrees. So, no painting until Sunday at least.

Regardless, I got my soft parts from Jim Tripon today so I can at least give people a glimpse at what his look like. Please forgive the poor lighting:

pT3LJ3r.jpg

b0S0Pms.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with them, but I probably could have made everything myself; it's a very simple design. 

Next, I just pulled the new butt plate off the printer and I think we've got a pretty solid design. Thanks again Chris:

tFEwxC0.jpg

Anyways, I'll be waiting for warmer weather so I can jump on this. @sonfield can't be the only person having all the fun. 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think its going to be easier/ clearer if you guys that know the clear cut differences in this stock give us a description or text for the CRL.  

@BigJasoni are you printing in resin? your layer lines are super faint. 

@IcyTrooper ill pull the 3d print line. 

I work at a metro airport and I found what I believe is the buttstock greeblie on the ground last week. I believe its a zipper pull.  There are thousands of them on the ground here, I pick them up all day long when they get torn off the luggage after the bag smashers get done with their work smashing bags.  I was rushing between planes and didnt have a chance to get a pic of it. 

We need two or three good photos of the blaster, a top view would be very helpful and someone fully suited up in both configurations, with hat, with helmet and someone fully suited up in just the soft parts with the hat.  We do full gallery views for our CRLs and we will need photos of everything for the Gallery. 

Going back to edit mode, Change log 2.3. Can someone provide text that will clearly capture the intent of what the stock should look like? 

Change Log 2.3

E-10.5 Blaster

Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, cast, 3D print or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

The magazine is longer than Original Trilogy blasters.

Power Cylinders shall be mounted on top of the magazine well. R1 style power cylinders are preferred over ANH style.

A sliding stock is mounted on the endcap of the Blaster. The retractable feature need not function.

A Sling may be attached on one or two points of the Blaster.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Blaster shall be based on a real or replica S&T Sterling L2A1 AEG Airsoft Gun. (Folding Stock does not need to function) If an Airsoft Sterling is used, it must not function.

Grip assembly and blaster dimensions are based on an S&T Airsoft sterling. 

The recessed strip behind the bolt may be hollow, filled or partially filled.

Scope shall be a real or replica M.H.R. (Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Co.) 1943 model M38 Telescope.

Counter shall be a real or replica Hengstler 400 Series counter with small eagle logo. Large eagle logo is not allowed.

A grille shaped detail piece is attached on top of the Magazine. It features 8 slots.

6 rows of T-Tracks cover the Sterling receiver holes except for the lower left row with the bayonet lug.

A sling swivel may be fitted near the muzzle, on the same lower left row as the bayonet lug.  

A 3-Slot Picatinny rail is fitted on the row above the bayonet lug. The rail is affixed with two screws. The screws do not interfere with the rail slots. 

A sling swivel is fitted underneath the stock extension.

If a sling is attached, it is made of webbing and uses snap hook buckles. The sling is attached to the swivel underneath the stock.  

The stock is modelled after a 416C pattern. The buttplate on the stock may not be ribbed and has a pill shaped greeblie having three openings fitted. Two of the holes are circular, the central is rectangular.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/6/2023 at 7:45 AM, Blackwatch said:

@BigJasoni are you printing in resin? your layer lines are super faint. 

Yes and no. 😁 Here it is on the build plate before curing:

GujCdVp.jpg

My blaster is a combination of resin and carbon fiber filament. The main body/ barrel is carbon fiber filament, but the details are all printed in Siraya Tech Blu.

8E5uy6W.jpg

You can see in this picture that even the FDM printed sections don’t have visible lines. I highly encourage people to print with CF filament for this reason or if their SLA printer doesn’t have a large build capacity. Additionally, the CF filament is stronger and lighter than standard PLA/ PLA+ and PETG, it sands beautifully and isn’t susceptible to warping in heat.

However,  this butt stock is a combination of Siraya Tech Tenacious and Fast ABS like resin. 

That’s a short video I made a few months ago on this resin combo. I typically reserve it for armor pieces and use the impact resistant Blu for solid parts, but I was out of Blu. 

My armor is a fiberglass kit I’ve had sitting around for about a year now. However, I may print new shoulder bells following some minor design tweaks.

2hnSHoq.jpg

CtE9gNa.jpg

I should finish the helmet this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jason, havent messed with CF filament, finally got PETG to work after weeks of messing with it. 

PETG is what I typically go to if I can’t print in resin, but I’ve been amazed with the CF Filament lately. 

I’m likely going to print another version of this for the Ferrix costume and will do it entirely (except for the yoke) in CF filament. 
That actually reminds me of something and I’m really hoping @fb501 can chime in: I know we closed the chest and back armor portions of the draft, but I never saw anyone discuss the actual material the armor should be made of.

Knowing that the collar/ yoke of this armor is the worst feature ever, specifically where it hooks into the chest, are we going to allow some freedom in the costume’s creation? The generic statement in our CRLs always calls for “Fiberglass, ABS, or HIPS,” but what are the thoughts on a polyurethane type flexible material for the yoke? 

Between my Muddy and Shoretrooper costumes, I’ve broken 3 of these and was about to either print one in 100% Tenacious, or make a mold and pour some rubber. Here’s another one of my short videos showing Tenacious:

@fb501, can you answer any material questions? Were yours flexible?

• Like 1

My thought is , as long as it passes GML for approval, I personally am not going to ask what each part of the costume is made from, as long as it looks right. hell there for a while WTF was sending castings out in something like plaster. Maybe it was resin, but it was terrible. TPU or simlilar, or your tenacious may be the way to go. 

There is a part on Rix road where a troopers armor splits on him, front to back, and separates. I have to imagine that pull a serious wrench on that collar piece, but I cannot tell if that part survived or not, with the quick editing in the Rix road fight scene. 

• Like 1

There is a part on Rix road where a troopers armor splits on him, front to back, and separates. I have to imagine that pull a serious wrench on that collar piece, but I cannot tell if that part survived or not, with the quick editing in the Rix road fight scene.

I’ll have to watch that again. If their armor split, I’m sure that collar was toast.

Ok, I’ll make my molds tonight or tomorrow.

I just rewatched the sequence. And made interesting observations that will come up when we do the black security troopers. 

The trooper that gets thrown first at about 36:36 has his armor come apart but you really cant tell what happens to the collar. I looked at all the collars and they all looked Ok. The ribbed straps seemed to have more issues. Those may be cast rubber or eurethane collars. 

We want to wrap this CRL up.  We are literally down to just a buttstock, and thats all that is holding us back from getting this in front of the LMO.  

After one gets built and photographed we can get the pics of it. Other blasters & equipment need not hold thisCRL submission up.  Those would be at most an accessory. 

So, here is my proposal for the stock end, I want this done so we can present no later than Friday. 

The stock is modelled after a 416C pattern. The buttplate on the stock may not be ribbed is smooth and has a pill shaped greeblie having three openings fitted with three holes. Two of the holes are circular, the central is rectangular.

The buttstock matches the size and shape of those seen on screen, being shorter overall than other Rogue One era buttstocks.  The stock has the appearance of being two pieces joined together. 

• Like 2

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't pertinent to the weapon topic but I got information from Ezra over at BaileysBuild Designs and she is working on production for the correctly dimensioned and pill notch belt boxes in case if anyone is looking to meet the anticipated L2 CRL criteria.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I just rewatched the sequence. And made interesting observations that will come up when we do the black security troopers. 

The trooper that gets thrown first at about 36:36 has his armor come apart but you really cant tell what happens to the collar. I looked at all the collars and they all looked Ok. The ribbed straps seemed to have more issues. Those may be cast rubber or eurethane collars. 

If its the same as the aldhani trooper armour the straps were cast resin or some other material cast. You could barely open the armour up at the two sides and had to slide into it. The shoulders and bicep armour was added on separately once the chest and back was on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, fb501 said:

If its the same as the aldhani trooper armour the straps were cast resin or some other material cast. You could barely open the armour up at the two sides and had to slide into it. The shoulders and bicep armour was added on separately once the chest and back was on.

Fraser, thanks for the insight. Can you tell us anything about the collar. As I said previously, for the ICAT, Mudtrooper, Shoretrooper, etc. this is the weakest part of the costume and could definitely benefit from being flexible. I'm getting ready to cast one out of polyurethane, but was just curious if you had any insight?
Thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BigJasoni said:

Fraser, thanks for the insight. Can you tell us anything about the collar. As I said previously, for the ICAT, Mudtrooper, Shoretrooper, etc. this is the weakest part of the costume and could definitely benefit from being flexible. I'm getting ready to cast one out of polyurethane, but was just curious if you had any insight?
Thanks!

I believe most (if not all) of the modern armor that has been created since R1 has been a flexible PU. 

• Like 1

What is your tenacious mix %?  I also use abs like smoke. Love it.  entire blaster, "backpack', shoulders, biceps on mine are resin.  TPU straps, PLA+ all else.  1000% sure that most of the armor these days is rubber.  

Just finished resin boxes and also the version 5 and 6 buttstocks.  Painting and posting today