TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

YAY!!!! More failure!!!! Uh, I mean more valuable learning experience!!!!! :thumbsup:

DSCF0003-7-1.jpg

Well my makeshift mold kinda sorta worked. The clear resin is what really killed me, it takes a bit more time to solidify than my other resin I use. Meh, whatever, it was worth a shot. I might be able to fix and use them (highly doubt it :duimomlaag:).

Oh yeah, paint! (Ignore the kidney plate, it got a little scuffed up somehow)

DSCF0002-1-4.jpg

Still have the gray parts to do sometime and the other silver parts (I'll do those when I get them, really only have the parts that are clear to do). So basically I still need the boots, calves, forearms, shoulders and the helmet left to get. Maybe have it done by the end of September?!?!

Fivezero

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, big update time!

First off paint! I really love that gray because it some lighting it is dark like it is, but in other lighting it will kinda disappear into the aluminum color of the the chest plate (kinda like it does on the PC version of the game). So cool (sorry I couldn't get a better picture).

DSCF0011-2-2.jpg

Whilst venturing into my giant box of spare parts I've collected I found some helpful items.

First some boots (I think I originally was going to use these for my EVO?).

DSCF0003-2-3.jpg

Then I found a helmet kit?!?! Don't know where it came from or when I got it, but it was there. The blue "tubestripes" were a guide for me to cut out each one.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

I used a template but not for the painting it is intended to be used for! Then just put it on the helmet and used a marker to mark the tubestripes. Then proceeded to cut out each one... I still have another cheek tube to cut out.........

DSCF0009-2.jpg

After that I made some backing for the tube stripes to diffuse the lighting.

DSCF0002-1-5.jpg

And now we have glowing tubestripes, not bad for the first try (I messed up some of the stripes, what can ya do). I'll do some more experimenting to get the light a bit better.

DSCF0017-1-1.jpg

Did I ever mention this thing is going to look awesome?!?

Fivezero

Thanks guys for the compliments! :)

More progress:

Painted the boots today. Still need the red stripes, I'll do that tomorrow.

DSCF0009-3-1.jpg

Also painted the helmet!!!

DSCF0010-2-1.jpg

^This bucket is too awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Now to get it all lit up! :woot:

Getting very close to the end now! Just need some shoulders, shins and forearms (and lots of LEDs).

:D :D :D

More glowing!!!

DSCF0019-2-1.jpg

I was so excited that the first thing I did this morning was get the helmet ready for lights!!! I still have to work out the lenses, regular lenses don't cut it (or should I say shine it....). I'm going to try blue mirrored lenses to see if those work better.

Unfortunately I don't have any more LED strips to permanently rig the lighting :(. I'll probably start on the other details for the helmet later today (going to give the paint a bit more time to cure).

Fivezero

• 2 months later...

So I kinda hit a point where I can go no further on this for a bit. Pretty much aside from the helmet details and the red stripes on the boots, I've done all that I can on this with what I have.

However I do have some clear plastic on the way to make some clear armor!! :D I'm hoping I can make my first try by the end of the week. After that then there is some more painting, lights and I think this will be done and ready to send in!

I'll also try to pick up some more 12v batteries soon and get a pic of all the lights I have rigged up so far.

Fivezero

Ah yeah, we have success!!!!!

DSCF0005-1-2.jpg

This one turned out a little better...........

DSCF0006-1-2.jpg

So yeah I tried the clear plastic today and it kinda failed, as you can see the PETG I'm using tends to web very easily (and annoyingly). On the second attempt I didn't have it quite lined up right and so I moved it in panic further helping the plastic to web :6: However, I decided to cut out the second attempt to see if I could even somewhat try and salvage it, doesn't look too bad now after some heat gun treatments.....

DSCF0008-3-1.jpg

And I busted out my little machine too just to get something vac formed successfully too (and yes I tried a shoulder bell, but the plastic exploded :huh: )

DSCF0007-1.jpg

So yeah, I guess it's time to order some more and try again!

Fivezero

More glowing!!!!

DSCF0005-1-3.jpg

Wanted to see what the overall finished look (excuse the unsecured belt) with the LEDs in place. Also wanted to see what it looks like under full light. B)

Fivezero

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this build, just been doing a lot of thinking to get it finished. It will probably be awhile before I get the clear plastic to cooperate with me, so I've been considering using electroluminescent panels (opposed to EL wire) and sticking them on regular armor to achieve a similar effect to get this approved sooner. :) I still wouldn't abandon the clear armor though, just want to get this thing finished and submitted since I've been working on it for awhile now....

Fivezero

So to begin the final stages I have purchased some blue EL tape to test out. Hopefully it will be close in color to my LEDs.... :icon_beg: If it works out I'll grab some more for the arms and shoulders and get some panels for the shoulders.

eltapeblue1cm_MED.jpg

And how about some armor to put these on! Legs needed some sanding cause someone didn't know how to paint a couple years ago....................... :whistling:

DSCF0009-3.jpg

Fivezero