TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

This is looking so cool. I'm hoping it will look as good in day light as it will in the dark.

It still look pretty good in full light. Basically my camera is an old piece of junk that takes terrible pictures without flash (which drowns the blue lighting), that's why the last helmet pic I took looks blurry (cause I didn't take it in the dark). :) That and I think the dark pictures look cooler to show to you guys!!! :D

So the last hurdle of this build has been overcome. The shin lighting has been not agreeing with me or the EL tape. The curves at the bottom of the shins aren't exactly EL tape friendly. But after looking at the pics again I noticed that the shin lighting was thinner than the rest of the lighting. So I had a brilliant idea to use EL wire instead, it should do the job and achieve the effect I need and it's flexible to contour with the shins nicely.

The rest of the lights were ordered this morning. Hopefully get a decent day to paint the rest of the armor within the next couple days, then maybe have it finished by the end of the week?!?!

Fivezero

:D

I'm glowing in anticipation! Get it?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Scubacat!!

Well Batman is pretty much done (just some tweaks to make). So that means next week is TFU Shadow Week!!! I should be able to get everything finished up for it and maybe get some pictures taken for approval (finally!). Just one forearm and two shoulder bells left to rig up with lights!

Fivezero

Hit a snag as I prepared the shoulders for lighting... The EL panels/strips aren't quite big enough and don't quite cover the area needed. There's also a small seam I can't get rid of as the EL stuff doesn't quite light up the whole width of the panel/strip. The strips also don't really like to bend a lot, and trying to match the curvature of a shoulder bell doesn't work so well... Finally the stupid things start getting dimmer as they stay on longer (not the battery, I can literally unplug the battery and plug it back it in to light it up, then it starts to die). So after frustration after frustration, they are being removed from the equation.

Here's my idea using LEDs instead. Basically I'll cut out the shape of the area to be lighted out of one shoulder bell. Then I'll take another shoulder bell underneath and sandwich an LED strip between them, to get a similar effect. Here's a quick pic showing a mock up of what's to come.

d1f64efa-c80a-449e-825d-73181093f3c1_zps6df18bab.jpg

The paper cutout is where the shoulder bell will get cut. I'll wrap the LED strip around the edge and place it on the other shoulder for the light to shine onto.

Ordered the LEDs, so now onto cutting up some shoulders while I wait! After this.....it's.....DONE!!

Fivezero

I think that will give your bells that ROTJ look a bit more. That's perfectly fine. I suspect that will be a good solution.

So I have a friend that wants to use EL tape for a costume, but they have not heard many reviews. Are you able to cut the tape into more sections and connect them to make longer pieces?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Scubacat, you can technically cut the tape, but you have to attach new connections between the pieces, here's a TRON costume thread on the RPF that has some more info (there's a lot of pages, I think the info on EL tape cutting is around 180ish, can't remember.....)

ALSO everything is FINALLY done... :dancing-trooper: Just a couple little things to tidy up, probably get some pics tonight or tomorrow?!?

Fivezero

I'm glowing with excitement Ty.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks!!!

Unfortunately no pics yet, between work and being sick, haven't felt like putting any armor on (let alone one with wires going everywhere). Hopefully I'll feel a bit better next week and can try to get something done and get it approved.

Fivezero