IA Combat Engineer specialty tab

In discussion with the others in my Garrison that want to do this, we want the tab to go over the patch.

We can get tabs made from a dozen places online, in fifty different fonts, but none in Aurbesh.

Im going to TRY to embroider them here on my wifes embroidery machine, but we have not had good luck with that in the past since it is not set up to do curved off-center text.

I know Aurbesh is used on many of our Legion patches. Would it be prudent to set up a short run of patches with "sapper" or "Engineer" as a basic text ?

Here's what I have in mind, incorrect color and language mind you:

http://www.militaryc...&ad=76800669149

=====================================================================================

UPDATE 5/6

Here is where I got the font, this site has been useful for years

http://davidocchino....y/aurebesh.html

My wife has a home embroidery machine and uses a program she purchased online to lay out the designs , alter the stitch, tell the machine in what order to stitch..all VERY important to success.

If you try this at home you want the machine to completely stitch the border first, go inside the border and start the text. She opened each characters properties, and rolled and adjusted each character to match the curve of the tab. This all took about three hours for the first successful tab to be created, but now she has the file and can adjust.

Your tab will have your own unit motto or name, per the CRL.

The first pic is of the first attempt, which was a complete failure. The machine didnt know to finish the tab border first, because she didnt know to tell it to do that. She had to figure that part out. Your machine and your program will be different, thats all I can say, because there are a bunch of programs out there.

9d0xieI.jpg

In these two photos you can see how she is altering the text with a character text box around one, moving, resizing and manipulating it to match the curve of the tab.

Ojnwpms.jpg

FBsklh8.jpg

My very first suit layout the day after I got it all together. The LMO had me remove the tab since its not seen on the characters with no helmets/packs.

XXEeem1.jpg

• Like 1

Which tabs are we talking about? The one I remember seeing in the comics were too small to make out what was written on it.

Yes, those are what he's referring to. In the comic books there was no way to see what they said. If you consider the entries by West End Games in the RPG those rocker patches would indicate the name or number of elite units who performed so well the Empire (which was very anti-individualism) allowed them the distinction. It was considered a great honor.

• Like 1

Are these tabs you're talking about title rockers that go above the standard IAT patch? Is it just a duty title like ENGINEER or SAPPER, or would units be allowed to create a unit title like ROUGHNECKS or what have you?

Making unique unit names wold be more accurate as for as the EU goes. According to the source books, units that distinguished themselves in combat (or for political reasons) were allowed to have special names. This was a rarity among the Imperial troops as they Empire was about anonymous uniformity. We will have to set up requirements for special groups the way the Jolly Roger Squadron does it for Squadrons, FISD does for Fire Teams, etc.

• Like 1

We're going to do another test embroidery with SAPPER based on the US Army red and white teal world SAPPER tab. My attempts at making the tabs were terrible

Two hours in, my wife is on the third test. So far the third test has made it further than the other two have. My wife learns from each test, but its clear that a home embroidery machine with the program CAN do it....with considerable operator effort.

UPDATE!

NOW were moving along! this is black embroidery on Army Green fabric (as they call it) from Joanns.

q8pnyfT.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

first post updated with tab creation information.

This will become an option for the Combat Engineer