Bucket Electronics

May have to seperate this ?

Here, I go.... PLEASE post Opinions!

I'm interested in your Bucket Electronics Opinions, based on your experience not theory!

1. Fans...... regular vs. squirrel blower & best position of each

2. Wireless vs. Wired

3. icomm vs. ipod

4. Battery Types (9volt/AAA) reachable vs. standard

5. Mics/Speakers in aerators

Thank you for any and all info, Please feel free to explain why you think your idea, product works better than others!

I gave some opinions in PM, but as far as batteries, I always go with the energizer ultimate lithium. They cost a bit more, but they last through numerous troops. I've gotten at least 4-5 troops out of every package I've bought. On an average of 2-4 hours per troop I would say. One package or regular batteries will usually only last the troop you're doing and maybe into the next one for a short while.

DDF - (nice pic by the way - always good to see the the Gambler's world pics ... April 13th 1979 if I'm not mistaken ;) ).

For myself I only have my iphone mounted in my chest for music/ambiance, so I can't speak directly to the specific challenges or advantages to putting in the electronics.

I don't know what BH covered off in the PM or what he didn't so here's my take:

If you want a voice amp system then there are a few options:

Self contained helmet units: Can be bought from the website but also on Legion boards in the for sale area (usually used) I think there is also a guy who is doing a reasonably prices "home made" run right now.

Mounting the speaker in your chest peice. Less costly and generally louder.

fans:

Cost: I've got 2 laptop fans that can be mounted in the helmet - including fans, wiring, and switches this came to about $7 each. Easy. The Squirel fans get fantastic reviews and move a tonne of air, but they aren't cheap.

Positioning: Depends on how big your head is. There are a few common positions but really before you put anything in permanently use some strong double sided tape and slide your head in and out a few times and wander around. Some troopers don't like air blowing on their eyes, some troopers prefer air blowing on the back of their neck, some like to pull outside air in through their helmet frown ... so it's up to you on what would work best.

Batteries - this depends on what your draw is. 9 v fan vs 12 volt fan ... You'll have to pay attention here as if you power a 12 volt fan with a 9 volt battery the battery will get very hot and you may risk an explosion.

Again I don't have any of these bits in my bucket for 2 main reasons:

- Real Estate - My head is already pretty packed in there so there isn't much room.

- Comfort - I've trooped in some pretty warm environments and for 6-10 hours at a time and so long as I stay hydrated and take breaks I've never missed having a fan.

Hopefully not too much of this is repetition.

Any questions please post!

I have two squirrel cage fans in my bucket aimed up at the lenses. This prevents fogging. I power both with individual batteries. My com system is Jim's Aker/iComm combination. I tried mounting the Aker in the chest, but I had feedback problems with the bucket on. I've moved the amp to inside the back plate, and now it's as loud as I want it to be. The only disadvantage is that i can't control the volume once I'm suited-up.

For heat control I use an UnderArmour coolmax balaclava, and that works like a charm. THe fans mostly just help me with lens fog.

-T

Re: lense fogging - You can also get anti fog spray or paste, avalible at dive shops and probably large sporting goods stores. I used to dive a lot so I have some on hand. Works great.

Initially I did get some feedback with the Aker amp when i mounted it in my chest, but with a bit of foam above it (a small sound block) and my pauldron on it's not a worry.

Good topic. I don't use fans and even live in South Texas where you would think it's needed. There is not much room in my bucket and get a good amount of ventilation. I have considerd adding one though at some point. I've also got the Aker/icom combo and have the amp under my chest with the icom mounted to the chest plate. I also have a small mp3 player with the 501st trooper mp3 loop playing along. It sounds cool and I can talk along with it and to people with out being too loud. :)

Should probably have noted this with the battery info. But yes most fans are going to be 12 volt. A single AA battery is only 9 volts. What I use is a battery box that holds 4 batteries and I run 2 fans off it. The box has an on/off switch on the outside of it.

pRS1C-2160160w345.jpg

pRS1C-2265141w345.jpg

This place has squirrel fans really cheap. http://www.allelectr...M-BLOWER/1.html I have 2 of them, just haven't installed them yet. You can search the site and probably find all those other items a lot cheaper also. :thumbsup:

Good topic. I don't use fans and even live in South Texas where you would think it's needed. There is not much room in my bucket and get a good amount of ventilation. I have considered adding one though at some point. I've also got the Aker/icom combo and have the amp under my chest with the icom mounted to the chest plate. I also have a small mp3 player with the 501st trooper mp3 loop playing along. It sounds cool and I can talk along with it and to people with out being too loud. :)

I saw that BH posted a link for Squirrel Fans. $3.75 ea.

ELP ....... I have an Anti-Fog spray I use with My Motorcycle Helmets and Glasses! Works Great!

I am going to do all my own wiring, Cheap and easy.

2 Squirrel Fans, Switches, batteries, wire loom, etc...

Im just not sure if I want the ICOMM are not.

I also think that Memorex wireless is the way to go, as well as an ipod.

Also i think I will wait to check out aerator mics; I worried about too much sound in my bucket.

I Just realized that I may have to sell my Buckets when I get them, and buy different ones because they are AM,

I have a small/Medium head; (7 1/4 Cap)

I Appreciate the feedback!

Blackhole, I owe you one!

Everyone has been a great help!

I cant wait to get my kit,..... which I'm sure will lead to many more searches, reading and more questions.

Like... Snaps? Velcro? how to modify?

Just regarding the fans please watch voltages ...

A single AA battery is 1.5 volts ... Not 9. So to power a 12 volt fan properly you'd need 8 and that's a fair bit of weight. Will it work with a 9 volt battery, sure ... But you're running the risk I mentioned above.

That's why the fans on the legion boards are expensive ... They are 9 volt squirrel fanns.

Also at 5 cm x 2 cm the above fans are pretty big. Not to pick on them, just want to make sure you have the needed room.

And BH I understand that you've never had an issue but "I cannot change the laws of physics" ;).

So long as the risks are known then troopers can do what they like , I would hate for staff to give advice on a forum and subsiquently have a trooper suffer injuries or kit damage as a result of said advice.

This way people know the risks, and they can choose what they want to do. But an underpowered or over powered fan beside my face inside a confined space is not something I'm wanting to do.

• 1 year later...

Another helping topic for lens fog is to use roll on anti perspirant, I play paintball a lot and have never had good luck with the anti fog spray so I switched to rubbing a little anti perspirant unscented around my eyes and I don't seem to have any issues seeing whatever the weather. Definitely try this a couple times before going on a troop though as too much can run. Go with the unscented so its not overpowering in your bucket and it also will help prevent runs and burning a little bit better. Just a little experience from paintballing and swimming lens' fogging on me for years.

I run 2 small computer fans blowing out my rear traps in my lid powered by 2 9v's wired in series. I've never had a problem. Plenty of power. I had 2 squirrel fans but the ones I got were way too big for i wanted to do so I went with flat 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" computer fans. I picked them up from a local computer store for $5 each. I wired them together putting in an on/off switch that i can turn on and off without taking off my lid or my gloves very handy. works great!! :ShadowStorm:

you can see my tutorial on the other electronics I've put in my bucket along with padding on a post here called UPGRADING MY BUCKET. However I have not yet got around to posting the fan part of the build yet.

I was looking to put speakers in the hovi mic tips or get hovies that were already made but I did a lot of research on them and found you don't get the volume you need so I went with a 16 watt aker amp its very load infact I've had to move it lower into my ab plate because of the feed back may have to move it again. might try some acoustic foam also.

I also thought about speakers in the mic tips and found out the same thing. It makes sense too because the speaker would be so tiny. Like you, my Aker is also fairly loud and requires the right volume setting. With a little tweaking, I get the "volume+icomm+mp3 clip-feedback" dialed in and it turns out pretty good.