has anyone done a weathered shadow trooper and ? about paint

so my main ? is ive seen the gg "weathered trooper statue and it looks sick.....has anyone tried to recreate that and if so was and can it be approved by the 501st? also i wanted to do a few spots on the suit in flat black paint.....when you look at alot of the reference pics most suits actually arnt that shiny do they let you flat black parts of the suit or even the whole thing? last ? is what color lenses are permitted? mirrored,black,red?thanks any help would be great

Over time and trooping, mine has become "weathered". ;) Very cool idea. However, best to get your trooper costume in order, get approved, then worry about weathering. I did paint my chin Vocoder flat black, and it looks cool to me.

Also, from the Shadow CRL: "Lenses must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes. They may be flat or bubbled. Acceptable colors are: black, smoke, dark green, or silver."

You can read more here: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

so my main ? is ive seen the gg "weathered trooper statue and it looks sick.....has anyone tried to recreate that and if so was and can it be approved by the 501st? also i wanted to do a few spots on the suit in flat black paint.....when you look at alot of the reference pics most suits actually arnt that shiny do they let you flat black parts of the suit or even the whole thing? last ? is what color lenses are permitted? mirrored,black,red?thanks any help would be great

yea flat black rocks!yea ill probably do that and just get approved before i tweek these things.wheres a good place to buy the accessories?

You're talking about the Sideshow 12" figure. No one has done it yet, so I could approach the LMO about the possibility of approval since it's only on the one item. Let me know if you want to pursue it.

Actually, in most of the references the suits are considered shiny. it depends on the medium being used that will make it vary. As mentioned above, there are parts of the suits that may be flat black to help them pop a bit. Mainly helmet detailing, and the body of the thermal detonator. You should check out the CRL, to research color schemes and costume requirements.

-iz

As Izzi said weathered look isn't Legion approved ... as of yet (as it might happen in the future)

But if you wanted to make the costume for fun ...

SS_ShadowTrooperBlackholeFigure.jpg

you'll see that there are layers of colours, and that the best way to do it would probably be using toothpaste: Do your base coat, apply toothpaste where you want the colour to show, apply a second colour, apply more toothpaste around the first areas and in separate areas to show lesser damage/wear, apply your top coat. Now wash off your toothpaste and you've got layers of coloured battle damage. Friend of mine has a Fett and this is how he did his "wear and tear". There are a number of great write-ups on the Dented Helmet on how best to get the multi-colour weathering look. But again this hasn't been Legion approved so as of right now it would be just for fun, with potentially getting approval down the road.

And again as Izzi said check the official CRLs for answers to specific lens colours, etc. on currently approved costumes.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

You might want to find different lenses. Those bubble lenses give troopers headaches after awhile. Unless you wear glasses. I have glasses laden trooper friends who prefer the bubble lenses...? I don't get it either.