Swamp Trooper Bucket v2.

Hello, all -

Here's v2 of the Swamp Trooper helmet. Weathering made more natural looking,decals applied, greeblies and visor lens installed. Hope you like it. I'm quite pleased with the result. Not perfect, but given the heavy use such an item would see, I think it fits the bill. A little dark around here, so I used the flash - as such, the green appears slightly brighter than it does in person, and there is a bit of glare. Apologies for that. The helmet lens is green, as per the CRL.

Front:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/Mithras77/IMG_0098.jpg

Rear:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/Mithras77/IMG_0100.jpg

Left Profile:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/Mithras77/IMG_0097.jpg

Right Profile:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/Mithras77/IMG_0099.jpg

Alright, get rid of the gray indent stickers in the back and paint those indents black, per the visual references. Also the gray and black striping above the snout needs to be black and dark green. I also need to look into the fish hook detailing, that seems a bit off, but Scouts haven't ever really been my focus.

-iz

Thanks for the heads up; easy fixes.

Not sure about the fishook, but I've never seen the other style in anything but grey, and Im not seeing the style used in galaxies, if indeed there is one. Sort of guessed, as that is the style usually offered on decal sheets for the Shadow Scout. I'm happy to change them, let me know. Painting the other style black wouldn't be too hard.

Alex

Fom looking at the reference material I'd say the following.

Yes the fish hook is wrong. That style of hook is a by-product of the Rubies scout lid. They incorrectly made their lid with that design hook upon it and subsequent producers of decals have just added it on to their sheet.

It is neither correct for the scouts or storm commandos, and whilst the reference material for the swampy is a little shy on the detail, I suggest that you use the other more square one.

An interesting point to note is that in the game screen grabs the hook appears on the right side, and not on the left ( or at least it's not as noticeable on the left), which is the exact opposite to the scouts and storm commandos, which are left and not right.

The trapezoids on the back do need to be black, you can't tell if they have any green lines in them, but from a personal point of view, to bring in some consistency with the other established costumes, I'd stick some on. So black background traps with green lines..

The visor bolts also need to be green, rather than grey. They are a definitely different shades of green to the main bucket but they a not grey.

That's my take on it.

Cheers

Rob.

Interesting point on the side of the fish hook, we'll have to make CRL changes. You can clearly see green lines above the snout, but the back traps (crown indents) are just that. Black. The visor bolts aren't green, however. They're actually a gray with a bit of a blue tone to it. It'll be easier when the images are up for the CRL, but right now it really is important for people making this costume to closely inspect the reference material.

-iz

Izzi...

I took some time scouring the reference material we have in this section (I don't know of any others elsewhere), and to be honest, the detail shots are not really all that good.

If we can get some good close up grabs of the various parts of the costume and add them to the reference material, that would probably be the most beneficial thing to people making this costume.

I am not a fan of using very vague references to create a CRL from, mainly because if you suddenly stick one made to this vagueness next to something that does contain more detail (tank topper, stripes etc), it suddenly becomes very apparent. A similar argument happened with the Snow Scout.

I'd argue that the colour is green from the reference material we have in the Ref thread, but then I am not the one making the CRL's and as has been stated before. Not the one aking the decisions, so grey it is.

Maybe a better close up of this part may clear the situation up.

I don't know whether SWG is still going, so it may or may not be possible to obtain better images.

The fish hooks.... It may well turn out that they have modelled it with one on both sides. I can't quite make one out on the right, it's not clear, but there may be something.

Getting away from the helmet... you'll notice that the vent/rank stripes on the tank-hump are also on the wrong side to that of the screen used Scouts and comic reference Storm Commandos. Coincidence?? or just one of the programmers looking at a flipped screen grab (of which there are many).

Now, please understand, I'm not trying to cause argument, or have a go personally or anything like that. So please don't take it as such, the written word can be taken so incorrectly. I am merely pointing out what I see as a contentious issue with the reference material for this costume and I am sure we'd all like to make these things as clear cut for the individuals as possible.

For purposes of application, then, should the fish hook be on the right side as Chef has observed, or on the right?

Thank you again for the help, folks. I have studied those source materials pretty closely, but Im sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to

discern certain details.

Incidentally, I'm happy to submit shots of my gear for the CRL, once they are properly done, if that would help.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Owing to a complete lack of response, I hedged my bets and placed the insignia on the left right. Given the apparent lack of interest, however, I am unsure whether I'll be continuing the build or research at this point.

Well that's not the best attitude. There is currently only one of these built. Therefore only only one person has put a great amount of research into this, and maybe a couple of people that helped him. Myself, I haven't put a lot of research into this because it was covered elsewhere, and I suspect most other members have done likewise. Therefore there are only a couple people that are really qualified to answer your question. Being so few people, it might be that they haven't been able to be as active here lately.... (I know the only owner of this costume and most of the staff were at CVI) so don't give up hope and try to have a little patience. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Alex.

At the moment, you are that shining light when it comes to the Swampy.

Other people are not overly concerned about it because they are not doing the costume......

BUT YOU ARE!!!

You're putting in a great deal of effort into the detail and to be honest, that's priceless. To abandon it just because someone hasn't given you a response is being a little unfair to yourself.

I understand your frustration. Believe me I do. When I was championing the Storm Commando over in the UKG some years back, I just kept on getting stone-walled, because they weren't interested. Eventually I beat them into submission with a raft of reference material and sheer dogged determination.

And we are now at the accepted standard we see now.

SO.... it is going to be a bit of a slog, there will be some ambivalence about it, you won't always get a response that you want to hear or agree with...

BUT.... You must keep pressing on with it, mainly for yourself, but for all those other potential swampies out there who will come after you.

Well that's not the best attitude. There is currently only one of these built. Therefore only only one person has put a great amount of research into this, and maybe a couple of people that helped him. Myself, I haven't put a lot of research into this because it was covered elsewhere, and I suspect most other members have done likewise. Therefore there are only a couple people that are really qualified to answer your question. Being so few people, it might be that they haven't been able to be as active here lately.... (I know the only owner of this costume and most of the staff were at CVI) so don't give up hope and try to have a little patience. Thanks. :thumbsup:

The point is that -I have- done the research. I've been trying to get some sort of response to that research, but Chef here is the only one who's even bothered to read my post in full and to say he thinks I've found something worth researching. I have had plenty of patience with this, but this was several hours worth of work and investigation for a costume that was supposedly poorly documented and in need of new sources. I've even seen officers of this detachment post elsewhere that the CRL's like it were "unfinishable" because the sources were no longer available. I believe I've proven that wrong. Heck, I've even offered to do the photos for the CRL.

It's very frustrating to see so many orphaned "almosrt CRLs" (case in point: the Seatrooper) because people simply lost interest.

Kids love these costumes, as do fans. They are unusual, and they are dynamic. And what is more, since most children of this generation recognize Star Wars from two sources: video games and the Prequels, they will be appreciated if they are reproduced. One might even say they are "rock stars" at the events they attend. (I've seen whole crowds completely ignore a beautiful Fett just to have a look at a Storm Commando, for example.) I'm simply trying to contribute some of my own skills and resources to make these costumes easier to build and more accessible.

I'd be happy to do this (and to do the same with others), but a little bit of moral support would certainly go a long way.

Chef -

Thanks for the moral support. Much appreciated. Thanks for understanding where my frustration comes from. Means a lot, actually. And that is , as I've told you before, a mean looking Storm Commando. (Or are we still calling these guys "Shadow Scouts?" I'm a WEG gamer from back in the day. They'll always be Storm Commandoes to me:) )

-Alex

The point is that -I have- done the research. I've been trying to get some sort of response to that research, but Chef here is the only one who's even bothered to read my post in full and to say he thinks I've found something worth researching. I have had plenty of patience with this, but this was several hours worth of work and investigation for a costume that was supposedly poorly documented and in need of new sources. I've even seen officers of this detachment post elsewhere that the CRL's like it were "unfinishable" because the sources were no longer available. I believe I've proven that wrong. Heck, I've even offered to do the photos for the CRL.

It's very frustrating to see so many orphaned "almosrt CRLs" (case in point: the Seatrooper) because people simply lost interest.

Kids love these costumes, as do fans. They are unusual, and they are dynamic. And what is more, since most children of this generation recognize Star Wars from two sources: video games and the Prequels, they will be appreciated if they are reproduced. One might even say they are "rock stars" at the events they attend. (I've seen whole crowds completely ignore a beautiful Fett just to have a look at a Storm Commando, for example.) I'm simply trying to contribute some of my own skills and resources to make these costumes easier to build and more accessible.

I'd be happy to do this (and to do the same with others), but a little bit of moral support would certainly go a long way.

Chef -

Thanks for the moral support. Much appreciated. Thanks for understanding where my frustration comes from. Means a lot, actually. And that is , as I've told you before, a mean looking Storm Commando. (Or are we still calling these guys "Shadow Scouts?" I'm a WEG gamer from back in the day. They'll always be Storm Commandoes to me:) )

-Alex

Alex - don't give up on this one. I have read your post, get your point, and love this costume as well (I'm a biker scout on BSN too). Chef is one of the best scouts I have met since costuming and knows his stuff. You are in good company and I know you can complete this one and champion it. Show us your stuff man! :)

I have been reading your posts, I just feel like I'm really not qualified to say much. As far as building mine went, I ended up leaning more towards what the Regular Biker Scouts did, with just color scheme changes, writing off any differences that appeared from SWG as 'glitches' or whatever the correct term is (sorry, still tired).

When I submitted that, that's kinda the discussion that was had with Spanos at the time, and he agreed.

As for the new reference images....if those are more correct, if the fishhook should go on the other side...or both sides as one of the images showed...I really don't know. I don't know whether its better to trust completely in the screenshot or use what we know of normal bikers to implement onto the Swamptrooper.

Like I was saying...I've been keeping up, I just really don't know that I'm the person to ask on this, as most of the decisions I made on the costume were based off cloning the normal bikers

They'll always be Storm Commandoes to me:) )

Me also.... I hate the term shadow scout.

I think what you have done is what all good pioneers should do. It is hard work sourcing reference material, and finding these little details is what makes the costume complete.

You speak of almost CRL's, I think they do work, but like everything in the SW universe it is always an evolving entity. They are made with the information at the time, but as new source material is found or created, details emerge (as you have found), and thus the costume changes subtly. This is what makes them great.

There are a number of issues with this evolving state and there are a number of schools of thought with regards to how to deal with it all, but that is ultimately an issue for those in charge.

The Swampy is a Scout variant. Just the same as the Storm Commando, the Snow Scout, the Sea Trooper and the mythical Forest Trooper.

I love them all.... When I have time, I am going to make each and every one of them.

I'll push to get some form of CRL for each, but if that's not possible then I'll make them for my own pleasure because they are just too cool.

(we have this theory that if you made one, some SW Artist will see it and do a picture of it, then suddenly the reference material exists.... making it clearable!!)

So with it being a Scout variant, you do have a real credible argument that they should carry across some inherited features that tie all of them together. I think this is logical and creates a more believable costume in the finish.

But on the other hand, you have the irrefutable reference material. They may well be 'skin' mistakes when they were programmed, but they exist. So you have just as credible an argument to go with exactly what you see.

There is talk of a canon/animated style double ranked CRL system being banded around at the moment, and to be honest this would be a perfect example of why that system would be great.

You could have a more 'real world - canon' based Swampy, that echoes the Biker Scout in its detail composition.

And the Animated based Swampy that perfectly reflects the SWG detailing complete with all of the perceived 'inaccuracies'.

Again, this is something for the head-shed to finalise.

This is the one major issue with everything Spec Ops. We exist in the Expanded Universe of Star Wars. And as such there is much wider scope for variation and interpretation. This causes joy and headache in equal measures.

It's an unfortunate lot, and one that we must be content with as we forge our path down the road to the best costumes.

Keep the faith!

Me also.... I hate the term shadow scout.

And they will always be Blackhole Troopers to me...

I have been keeping up on your posts, but to be honest, with prepping for CVI, CVI itself, and Walt Disney World after, I have not had the opportunity to do additional digging on the details you have indicated. There are two routes you can go and one is obviously the easier one, but perhaps the less accurate in the end. That first route, the safest choice as far approvability, is when something seems fishy, like the hooks (see what I did there?), your best route is to look for existing costumes that share that lineage. In this case, that would be the biker scout and now the Shadow Scout. The less safe route is to forge a path toward existing source accuracy. That route is paved with uncertainty and often requires new sources to truly force its way through. My goal is to give you an honest assessment how what means to be a part of such a rich expanded universe based detachment. It is not always easy. We often are making three-dimensional somethings out of two-dimensional nothings. I applaud your effort and you can truly have a direct affect on the future standards for the swampy. My personal opinion, is that at this time the fish-hook should remain consistent with the Biker and Shadow Scout until more clear references are obtained or created.