Question about Shadow Scout Buckets

Mithras

Just want to double check here.

According to the way I read the CRLs, a Shadow Scout bucket may be black or dark grey and, may be built either WITH decals, or without. Is that correct? Further, it appears that the helmet bolts are gloss black, like the rest of the helmet. Is this also correct?

Thanks!

-Alex

Here is the copy of the CRL direct from the 501st website.

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• Lenses must be black, dark green or a silver mirrored.
  • Helmet may have scout detailing or left plain. If detailing is present it must be black or dark gray.
  • Licensed helmets are acceptable with modifications:
    • Any deformation of shape (helmet flare must be corrected.
    • Remove the manufacturer logo
    • Lens opening widened and lens replaced with a darker transparent material.
    • Remove "fish-hook" logo
    • Replace stock bolts with flat-disc "elevator" bolts
    • Replace inaccurate aerator.
    • Repaint to match the armor.

From what I can understand (and it is a bit vague).

The Helmet itself must be BLACK (the same colour as the armour).

Any detailing on the lid can be either black or dark grey. You need not add any detailing if you don't wish.

Now, my own personal view on this is that the helmet (and armour), should be satin or matt black colour (to represent the 'reflec' material that coats them as per the background material). It should have detailing present, just because it looks rubbish and very bland without, and the detailing should be of a contrasting shade to the rest of the armour.

I made mine with a Satin finish, and did all the detailing parts (decals, bolts, snout etc) in Gloss. Subtle, but it works.

Mike at Trooperbay does a set of satin/gloss contrast decals for storm commando buckets. I asked him t make these for me and they are truly outstanding. I think he's kept them on.

According to the way I read the CRLs, a Shadow Scout bucket may be black or dark grey and, may be built either WITH decals, or without. Is that correct? Further, it appears that the helmet bolts are gloss black, like the rest of the helmet. Is this also correct?

The helmet (and armor) should be a gloss black. Helmet decals are optional, but if they are applied then they must be black or dark grey in color.

However, if my information is outdated, then someone please let me know.

Also, not sure if anyone has seen the new Studio Creations scout helmets, but they are VERY nice! The previous 2-piece helmet back is now a single pull. I bought mine fully assembled and it came padded (Condor US military helmet padding). Additionally, he snout detail piece is much nicer than before (fills in the full snout, and is no longer just the engine and aerator detail pieces).

Thanks,

Caesar T.

Steve.... I think the confusion has come about because nowhere in the CRL does it state that the AMOUR should be black.

Obviously, there are pictures of Black armour next to it... but nowhere does it actually say "ARMOUR MUST BE BLACK"

As for the "gloss".... I'd leave that to some interpretation. We had this massive discussion over here in the UKG and it took in a load of the background information surrounding the Storm Commando, and our GML requested that all UKG Storm Commando's are made with a 'Satin' finish, to represent the 'Reflec' sensor absorption coating that their armour is treated with.

I personally think Gloss, sort of defeats the 'stealth' nature of the costume. I'd go for satin or matt.

But that's just me.

Yeah it does:

The armor parts shall be film-accurate or close approximation in gloss or semi-gloss black and made from one of these types of materials or like materials: Fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene).

Just trying to pick out if there is some wording elsewhere that causes additional confusion.