Swamptrooper Helmet

Time for a new helmet project, along with fixing up my EVO helmet, I'll take a stab at making the Swamptrooper helmet (since you all wanted it from my poll months ago).

SwampHelmet-1.jpg

So it begins...

DSCF0002-1.jpg

I just need to glue all the pieces together (changing up the standard pep method too, just wait).

Fivezero

:D

So I think I've decided that I'm going to go really crazy with this helmet and make this out of foam, I am still excited at how my new EVO shoulder looks when done in foam and am sure I can adapt it to make a helmet. Not to mention the foam's thickness should help when trying to make some of these details. And it will be a bit before I make some progress since I have some foam on the way (just a couple days though). :)

And yes this is probably going to be a very annoying and somewhat difficult project (woot low res models!!!!!), but hopefully the foam will make things a little smoother...

Fivezero

So had to restart to better facilitate the foam building. Rearranged the pepakura pieces to be more foam friendly (bigger, longer pieces). Also printed it out on regular paper then taped that to the foam and used that as a template.

DSCF0007-1.jpg

Front of the dome before gluing :)

DSCF0006-1.jpg

Dome/back glued together. Love how smooth this is opposed to regular pepping.

DSCF0009-1.jpg

And the "finished" helmet. A little sanding with the dremel, then plasticizing, bondo and then the final detailing.

DSCF0011-1.jpg

Overall I'm loving the foam scratch building. Much smoother/friendlier base for a very low res model, there were so many edges and points that it would have been a pain with regular cardstock. Hopefully this should go quicker!

Fivezero

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked on this for about 30 seconds last night to get you mongrels off of me.

Unfortunately I ended up screwing up the cheek tubes and undoing a lot of glue :6: (guess that's what happens to hot glue when you use a heat gun :confused:) So I'm leaving it on the shelf for a bit. Back to my other numerous projects. Which I just did a quick tally after DE's comment: '71 Chevelle, TFU Shadow, Darth Malgus, Swamp Helmet, New Helmet Project, Sith Acolyte, Buy a Tank, EVO upgrades (also get that dang CRL done), Nova Bucket repaint, Dummy Gun builds (MG 34 & 42), I think that's about it....yep, will be a very fun and productive summer.

As for a workshop, I'm down for it. Unfortunately you guys will have to wait another year and three weeks (I'm not 21 so I can't get beer, I'm not even 20 yet....) :blink:

Fivezero

• 9 months later...