Question for those who troop with glasses..

Any other troops that wear glasses out there? I cannot wear contacts and want to know if the buckets will accomdate those who need glasses. I am not sure I want to look into the cost of corrective TX bucket lenses. :laugh1:

And I apologize if this is not the correct area to post this questions. I figured it belonged here more that the General Board.

I wish I could wear my specs while trooping. I have seen guys glue lenses to their helmet lens. For me the distance isn't right, and it screws up my prescription. I just have to go without. I have a garrison-mate who wears Rec-Specs under his clone bucket.

I wear contacts but have tried on all my various buckets with glasses just so I can help with advice like this, lol.

Snowtrooper, Clonetrooper, Royal Guard and Mandos forget it, usually way to tight. I can't even wear them without squishing my nose lol.

TK buckets aren't really good either, although I have seen one Garrison mate accomplish this, he had smaller rimmed glasses and had to use the FX style bucket. Same goes for Tie since they are pretty much the same.

Biker/Shadow Scout helmets seem to be the best for having enough room to wear glasses. I can do it and I know several other members who can as well.

I'm not sure about Gunner but I don't think you could do it there either. You could always go with a Navy Trooper or Veers style helmet, unfortunately they wouldn't be Special Ops but it would still be a great costume :teehee:

After like 26 years with glasses, I got LASIK in 2007. Best decision I could have made. The Storm Commando bucket has more room so you might be able to make that work with glasses.

I would love to get LASIK except my Eye Doctor told me it has a 10% chance of correcting my vision and 90% of making it worse. I am farsighted in one eye and near sighted in the other so yeah....

Thank you for the input so I can look more at Buckets.

my wife has trooped her TK with glasses but after a few events she bought contacts because they are so much easier. She also wears the RT Mod helmet so she has tonnes of room and even still she found them to be troublesome.

As you can't do contacts - your best bet would be the prescription sports lenses suggested above ... And just find as large a bucket as you can.

Have a look at Izzi's bucket list to gauge sizes.

http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/122-how-to-pick-a-tx-bucket/

There are a few that aren't listed but that'll give you an idea of general sizes.

I am able to wear my glasses in my helmet, I just don't because of fogging issues (i don't have my fan installed yet). My husband can't fit his glasses in his helmet even though he has a larger helmet than I do. Thankfully both of us can see good enough without our glasses that it isn't an issue.

I am semi blind (-11 rigth eye and -6.5 in the left one) so, I just can't troop without glases or contact lenses.

Back in the old times, I used to troop with my FX bucket and it has plenty of room inside to use glasses. Now I have an MR and I still use glasses from time to time, not really very confortable but it can be done

• 2 months later...

I am able to wear my glasses in my helmet, I just don't because of fogging issues (i don't have my fan installed yet). My husband can't fit his glasses in his helmet even though he has a larger helmet than I do. Thankfully both of us can see good enough without our glasses that it isn't an issue.

If you're having fogging issues, I'd recommend using Sea Drops. They use them at Disney for the characters and they work really well.

I always didn't wear my glasses when trooping, but that was an option for me. I think contacts are the way to go and I did do that a couple times, but rarely. I had lasik, so it is now a non issue for me, but I know with my old FX I was able to get it on with the glasses. The smaller bucket I have now, I doubt it. If you have a spare pair of glasses, perhaps you can split them at the bridge and rig them in front of the lenses in the bucket.

• 9 months later...

See if you can get a "sports" frame for them. Asking your optometrist might be the best place to ask.

The sports frame curves. Normal glasses are straight,and that is where I find the fitting problem to be- where the temple meets the main frame.

I do wear them but ya would need lots of ventilation and air flow to deal with fogging up or anti fog stuff on glasses like what people mention. =/ I have go through battery and fan set up and just pray my glasses doesnt get knocked off my nose...though I still need to grab more contacts

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed i just wore my glasses in helmet the first time this last weekend

Forgot my contacts,

Not a fan , double fogging .. No room had to pull some foam out

Then the bucket was wonky .. And trying to get it on/off with the glasses. And mic

Was a pain - plus my fans are too small :(

Wont be doing that again any time soon