How To - Make a SNAP Base and Strap for your TX or TK

How to make a SNAP Base and Strap.

This Tutorial will help you get the idea of how to make a SNAP if creating your own SNAP belt/suspender and or Garter system. This is not a tutorial to help you create your actual Belt/Garter system, but to teach you the basics of how to make a snap base and the snap strap.

Tools you will need.

1. Snaps with Snap Tool Kit

2. Hammer

3. 2 inch Webbing / or small bits of ABS

4. Scissors

5. Exacto Knife

6. 1 inch Elastic Webbing

IMG_1668_zps9639b7d3.jpg

REFERENCES -

I would like to thank TK300 for his awesome write up on how to make a full suspender system using the snap system. He has an actual web page with this Tutorial. Although this page meets and exceeds the requirements for 501 spec ops Tutorials, it still not an official 501specs created one and could one day just disappear and we would be lost for a bit. So I have decided to break this up in sections and create one specifically for TX style troopers. Here is the link to the page that I am using as reference.

TK300 How to Snap System

Part - 1 Creating the Snap Base

1. What we first want to create is a base for snap system. This can be used for any part of the build, so here is how to create one. You will need to make many of these. TK300 has provided a great illustration of what we are trying to replicate. [/size]

snapcomp2_zpse3cde69f.jpg snapcomp_zpse1745804.jpg

In the above illustrations he is using small bits of squared off ABS plastic, and you can do the same, but it just takes a bit more work. (Drilling holes and cutting small parts if ABS plastic). The method I am going to provide will be using 2inch black webbing and 1 inch elastic webbing.

2. So let's cut out a square piece of the 2 inch webbing like so: (excuse my gross finger nail)

IMG_1670_zpsd86b6bdc.jpg

3. Now is a good time to seal the edges from the fray created when you cut the webbing. Use a lighter to melt the edges to prevent future fray.

IMG_1672_zps68fc8034.jpg

4. Next create a hole in the center of the webbing using your exacto knife. IMG_1675_zps879f64b7.jpg

Not too big though, like the size of a large pen tip.

IMG_1676_zps262f83a6.jpg

5. Now that the hole is created grab your snaps.

IMG_1678_zpsb93de294.jpg

6. Place the male part through the hole in the webbing. (Just like TK300's illustration).

IMG_1679_zpsca4499ad.jpg

7. Place the female portion of snap on top like so....

IMG_1680_zps71142ae0.jpg

8. Next, using the base that was in the SNAP TOOL KIT. (the flat side of the base)

IMG_1681_zpscfdc3822.jpg

9. Place the base underneath like so to the webbing we just created.

IMG_1682_zpsa1df9e57.jpg

10. Now using the snap tool post, place in the center of the snap and using a hammer, give it a good couple of whacks!

IMG_1683_zpsf276ae51.jpg

Once you're done, it should look like this!

IMG_1687_zpsa7e6e094.jpg

The back

IMG_1688_zps5ba237c2.jpg

That's it, the snap base portion has been created!

Step 2 - Creating the Snap strap section.

Again I am going to use on of TK300's great illustrations of the Snap strap we are trying to create.

strapsnap_zps69a04c74.jpg

This part is called the strap, because we will use this side to strap other parts of our armor together using these snap straps to connect them.

1. Using some 1 inch elastic webbing like so:

IMG_1689_zps113c7272.jpg

We will basically repeat steps 1 - 9 to create this section, but using the female part of the snaps, and 1 inch elastic webbing. (Please note that this is going to show how to create a basic strap. This is not for any specific part of the armor, it's just to familiarize yourself with the differences between the snap base and snap strap.)

2. Make your pen tip size hole in the elastic webbing..

IMG_1691_zps27d87a1e.jpg

3. Pass the male part of snap through...

IMG_1692_zps8ed8ad10.jpg

4. Place female part of the snap on top, and using the OTHER side of the black base in section one (the side with the rounded out part) to hammer in place.. (please reference sections 5-9 from part 1 to complete the rest of this) Sorry forgot to take pics of this part.

IMG_1693_zps68ee7886.jpg

When you're done, here are both pieces side by side.

IMG_1694_zps7a4df1fb.jpg

just my 2 points 1 the snaps should be marine snaps stainless steel preferably so they don't rust away from sweat and 2 a leather punch works great for holes in the webbing and elastic then use a lighter or hand torch on the hole to keep from fraying

just my 2 points 1 the snaps should be marine snaps stainless steel preferably so they don't rust away from sweat and 2 a leather punch works great for holes in the webbing and elastic then use a lighter or hand torch on the hole to keep from fraying

Great tips xanthis02!

Sorry to bombard your tutorial with extra advice , but for those who want to use ABS snap plates heres a great tutorial http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/18-how-to-recess-snap-plate-snaps/ if you recess your snaps there will be no chance of the snap eating into and buckling your armor , especially if using ABS cement .

Great work, Pete. If you want to throw an additional tip on there, for those that own a soldering iron, it makes a great tool for poking the hole in the plate and for shoring up the edges of the strap.

I may try that this next weekend.. This one is busy... Friday night, Ghostbusters Screeening at midnight... Sat Morning Baby Shower, Sunday Trooping in the Valley!.....

Great work, Pete. If you want to throw an additional tip on there, for those that own a soldering iron, it makes a great tool for poking the hole in the plate and for shoring up the edges of the strap.

If you don't have a soldering iron you can just heat up a nail with a lighter/torch and shove it through the webbing. Same idea, different tool.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I know its been a while since this thread had any comments but I just used all the tips to make my snap/strap system for my TX and wanted to say Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

• 8 months later...
I know its been a while since this thread had any comments but I just used all the tips to make my snap/strap system for my TX and wanted to say Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks Chaos, I was actually searching for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk