Shadow Scout boots

Chex

I figured that since I ordered my white scout boots and paid a lot, I would take a shot at making my own this time for my future Shadow Scout. Working one boot at a time...

Cut the soles to make them more screen accurate as the white boots are.

59caa5cb5a9b__1284892678000.jpg

Once the sole is cut, I went to pinning the vinyl to the toe, then heating with a hair dryer, then stretching, then heating, then stretching, and then letting it sit for the night.

f1fb45e7e352__1284892635000.jpg

Peeled the vinyl back, glued, let it set over night and trimmed around the base, then glued a 1/2 strip around the base.

dbe4e7e3a238__1284900233000.jpg

So far, not as hard as I thought it would be. Stay tuned..more to come.

Thanks, Iz. Surprised it's turning out so well...so far. Trying to decide if I want to trust my friend to do the sewing for me since I haven't done anything with a sewing machine since...8th grade. We'll see. I'd buy one myself, but like I need it after I do these boots.

Yeah the first one I did turned out surprisingly well. Nice and smooth, no wrinkles. What worries me now is the tube lol. That I will def do a paper cut out to figure out the correct pattern.

Looking good! One thing I remember messing up, is when I attached the holster I simply ran the rivet through the vinal - it ended up tearing. If you put a small strip of ABS on the inside where you are riveting (along with a washer) it should hold up better.

Hope that makes sense, maybe some pics will help:

th_100_1161.jpg

th_100_1162.jpg

th_100_1163.jpg

th_100_1164.jpg

lol, if you notice I forgot the washer in the fix with the plastic, ugh, so I'll see how long it lasts and get it right next time hahaha

Hehe yeah Bro, just got my white SC armor, but I need to drill the holes an get some washers for the rivets. Never used rivets before, so I hope I don't mess them up. One thing for sure, putting the white armor together will def help when I go black.

Hehe yeah Bro, just got my white SC armor, but I need to drill the holes an get some washers for the rivets. Never used rivets before, so I hope I don't mess them up. One thing for sure, putting the white armor together will def help when I go black.

I was like that with rivets the first time I used them. I had no idea what I was doing but got some help on I think FISD at the time. I actually have since helped some of the NER guys on the forums, so I have like a picture/explination thing I can post for you if you have questions. It's actually really easy once you figure it out or do it the first time :P

• 1 month later...

Where are you using rivets on your armor? The only place I used them is on my belt. I used ABS glue over the shoulders with a small strip of ABS underneath. I then did the wrap to cover the seam with real black leather and a little padding inside to hide the seam even more.

If you or anyone else has any question at all about SC armor please feel free to PM me. I have put at least 6 sets of they're armor together and I'm good friends with them.

Ahhh sorry, just saw this. I only used rivets on my belt, attaching the holster to the boot, and on the tank. One on the bottom of the tank, and with the SC armor, I cut out the back section and left a flap, then used a heat gun to fold the flap up, drilled a hole to match the tank topper, and used 1 rivet done from the bottom to match the one rivet on top to be screen accurate. Worked well.

Attending an armor party soon, so hopefully I'll be able to finish my Shadow scout boots then. PM's Denise about a flak vest and possible bund and pouch set as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you done with your boots yet or are you still working on them? If you need any help with the upper please contact me. I can tell you how to do this right the first time and make them fit you right.

I don't have a printer so I couldn't print out any sort of template. Was at the Makaze AP last weekend and Timmy didn't have the template either, and he said he would print one out so I can cut my tops, but at that point it was late soooooo. I think I'll just make my own template this week and cut them, and get them done at the next Squad 7 AP next weekend. This after I drive all the way to Orlando to troop with Makaze, then all the way back up to Jax for the AP.

• 1 month later...

Still have yet to finish these up. Man, I procrastinate too much. If I had armor, that would be a diff story, but it looks like SC isn't pulling any due to black ABS costing too much atm. Same for KS for the bucket. So looks like MLC for the bucket...and I'd hate to spend all that money on MC armor and wait 3-4 months. Izzi....sell me your armor! :teehee:

I got a quote from MC yesterday. Wow it's as much as a TK! I figured, less armor, less expensive, but the mlc bucket is almost as much as the TB armor so when combined it's more than my AM full kit cost. And then you still have to buy all the soft parts, boots, blaster...

I'll think about it.... Let me get back to you in 3-4 months...

-iz

:pinch:

Boots aren't that hard, Bryan. Troy could help you out on those, Timmy might be able to help sew the soft parts and do the suit mods.

sound like me here in oz i was luckie to get a second set off mon cal now trying to find a boot maker who ship to australia in us size 13 :S but i was luckie i scored a tb helm off ebay local off the new owner of the old altmans moulds :o:O and from what i been told and found out it was one the last one's altman pulled before he helped pack up his moulds to new owner in australia

i just having probs building the kit as i am all thumbs and more thumbs with this kind of stuff let alone sewing ( was kicked out of sewing class for making the sewing machine into a home made jurry rigg tattooing gun )

have you tried altin amour ? he normally has some for sale i did have a set of that but sold it to a mate as i needed cash to pay a nasty bill

Wolf

Atin is just not a good looking armor IMO..it's inaccurate. I think Crazas said his wife had it, and no disrespect...I just don't like it. It's not accurate enough to qualify for Lancer over at BSN. What I think I'll do for now, until SC starts pulling black armor again is to move on to another costume. Either a Shadow clone or one of the new animated ARC troopers.

Grab white armor and paint it. The scout armor isn't prone to scratching as none of the plastic pieces rub together. Or... Start on the soft parts and get your cummerbund, neckseal and jumpsuit out of the way, to buy you time to see if they start pulling black again,

-iz

Thought about starting on it slowly and just work it up over time. I really don't want to get white armor and paint it. Too much of a hassle to keep it nice and glossy. Ugh...decisions decisions. If SC was still pulling black, it would be a no brainer. I'd try MC but I don't know how well MC would fit a 6'2" frame. Still have plans in the future to do an Evo as well...need to get my hands on a cheap TK kit to play with...maybe an ATA kit. I know I could get one cheap...we shall see.