Magma Trooper ATA (WIP)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from this angle it looks fine. Nice job. I overtrimmed my first pair of ears.

Things look pretty good so far. The gray on the frown looks great. The ear trim looks good and has a great contour. The Vodocer should be painting on each round, so the edge doesn't run together as much. Take a look at this image from the CRL for reference:

TX_magma_helmet.jpg

Do I think it will hold up your approval? Likely, not; just one of those little details.

Fingers crossed you won't have the same problems I'm having with my armor's durability, seeing since we own the same kit. My armor has been fine right up until recently, where I'm starting to get cracks all over the place.

Hopefully I got the one brittle pull that exists, and yours turns out fine.

If you start getting random cracks in your armor, my belief that ATA's armor is flawed will be confirmed. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I think it's fair that I point this out to you.

Here is the email I have sent ATA:

Hello! I bought an untouched ABS ATA magma kit secondhand from a 501st member in the Empire City Garrison that I'm having a couple problems with. I did a troop in full armor late September and experienced no damages, until just recently. My armor started cracking in random places for reasons I'm not quite sure of. It's really bizarre. For example, I had my left forearm armor sitting in my bin since the con ended and I opened it up today to find a decent sized crack on the inside. It wasn't like that when I took it off to put it in there. A small crack also developed on the coverstrip of my left shin. Both of these cracks I have fixed using a homemade ABS paste.

A more serious crack occurred on the right thigh, after cutting out the glued section in the back for further trimming. This could have been an error on my part, in that I should have disassembled completely before trimming. I've since rejected advice from others to order a replacement and have successfully filled in all cracks and holes.

Could it be possible that you may have unintentionally sent a brittle pull of armor out into the market? Has something like that happened before with you or anyone else? I'm not sending this email to give you grief about it, but am simply seeking answers. It could have something to do with the sudden drop in temperature and humidity that we had the past few days. I can't know for sure. You may remember me from a few weeks ago: I was the one who ordered a right shin replacement.

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

- Mike

I'll update this post when he replies.

In the PM discussion I had with Lance, I explained to him that ATA has always been praised as good quality armor, referencing all the ATA Centurions and EIB folks floating around on FISD. I only posted what I posted because I was frustrated; I wanted to blame the maker, rather than take into account mistakes I may have made that would have caused the cracks. I tried my best to reassure him that his armor likely won't meet the same fate as mine.

The thing is, I have no idea if the cracks are being caused by bad assembly. I put in many hours researching build threads, and trying my best to adapt them to my own build. I just don't know.

I have never seen it so consistently. Cracking a chest plate or one other piece, I have seen, and usually the reason is obvious and itsin a high strees place. On this one I am seeing it in both places I would expect it and places I am surprised about. Really unusually.

Looking good Lance. I'm glad the ears were salvaged. This hobby tends to have a lot of do-overs, and it's always nice when it works out.

This http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/24896-easily-install-screenmesh-in-mic-tips/

Might not need it since ata screens are pre cut but I like the look of a pressed mesh

Also your tube stripes are upside down. When viewed from the front, they should be frowny faces. There are no smiley faces in the empire. Except when the emperor thinks somethings funny before throwing lightning like he owns the place