Black Paint on Helmet

I was reading the CRL and saw that black paint may be used on the helmet:

• The body of the "ears" may be black or gray. The bars have three or four bumps and may be left the same color as the body or painted black.

• The frown must have either 6 or 8 teeth cut out and any coloring must not leave the indented area. Acceptable colors are: black, gray or silver. If there are spaces between the teeth the wearer's face must not be seen.

• The tube stripes are black in color and may number between 9 and 15 per side with the curve bends extending backwards. These may be hand painted or decals. There does not need to be the same number per side.

• Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) may be black or silver.

• The aerators (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black, and screening may be silver or black.

• Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) may be: hand painted, decals. Acceptable colors are: black or gray. Rear traps and tears may have vertical black lines.

I think that would be a good and unique look since most I have seen have silver or gray detailing. May I assume flat black teeth, tube stripes, and vocoder against the gloss black ABS would be the way to go? Would the traps and tears be painted with a flat black background also? If so, would the vertical stripes in the tears and rear traps be painted in gloss black or left off all together? Would the ears just be left unpainted?

• Like 1

You have flexibility here. Flat looks great against the gloss black, but you can leave the black areas untouched as well.

i left everything black, no decals except flat black tube stripes. you could pretty much black everything out, but it looks best with mirror lens and silver teeth, its like a skull in the night.

10376416505_5aba5318b6_z.jpg

This is pretty much how mine is setup, except, as Kev was talking about, I use dark lenses and a gloss black grill.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think that would be the best for stealth, like the TFU Shadowtrooper . . . - Master Tej -

Yeah, but a shadow trooper with some LED's on it would still look awesome. Do it in the same areas as a TFU trooper, but maybe go with red instead of blue.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

If I'm doing black on the traps and tears, is it REQUIRED to paint them? I put some satin black on there and it's not even noticeable. It says "may be painted or decals" vice "MUST be." I'm using mirrored lenses, silver frown and vocoder so didn't want to go with gray on those areas as I think it'd look silly.