Starting Shadow scout

TX117

Hey, I'm back. So I think I can finally begin this project, I have no idea where to begin with it though... All I know is I can 1) buy an armor set, 2) make a Pepakura armor set, or 3) vacuum form an armor set.

buying one would cost $600 though, so that's out. I don't know any other ways to do it other than that. I want something easy to do, and doesn't cost a fortune. (by easy I mean like the pepakura process not looking to be lazy here.)

Every time I do pepakura though it doesn't come out right. If I go that route hopefully I get get alot of help to make it look perfect.

And I have no clue on how to begin the Vacuum form way.

Thank you for any replies and help. Long live the Empire.

Hey Jared, welcome back. Not to be discouraging, but your best bet might be to save up and by the kit. You can go the pepakura route, but with little experience, it will require a lot of trial and error to get it right. Applying that to every piece of armor is a mother. I am speaking from experience here. We have troopers on here much more skilled than I that could really help you along, but I am just adding up all the time and material required to do every armor piece and do it right and don't know how much you'd be saving in the long run. You can start with smaller purchases now, that might be more in the right range, such as the blaster kit, boots, undersuit, gloves, etc. Then, once that tax return comes in...:D

I see. Perhaps I should purchase the kit. I did forget to mention too that I am not new to doing pep work, I have experience in it. I made an entire ODST armor set. It's just making it look incredibly smooth is what I have trouble with.

yeah man just buy a kit. there arent any pep files for the armor anyway, and the pep helmet model thats out there is a little out of proportion, not to mention a huge pain and the materials cost alone.... i do pepakura cuz im experienced with it, but in the end its only worth it for custom pieces like my navy commando or good looking iron man and stuff. for troopers, always more cost efficient and accurate to buy the kits. not to mention comfortable :)

also when it cpmes to smoothing, glass the inside thick enough and you simply sand off the angled high points with a metal file, and you can use a file brush to clean that when it gums up with resin. my NC is too intricate for that though. ive got so many pep files its kind of depressing lol

Getting a kit is going to be the simplest way for you to get one sorted.

Doing Pep (that sounds like an addictive problem!) is a royal pain. Again, speaking from experience takes masses of time, and can work out just as expensive as buying a set of armour in the long run.

There are lot of sets of armour out there, and they shouldn't cost you $600. If you're on a budget, keep an eye out on the 501st boards for a cheap set of 2nd hand Scout armour and just paint that black.

Vacuum forming... I'd leave that well alone unless you're planning on doing multiple items.

The reason I say this is you've mentioned the word 'cheap'. And going down the forming route certainly isn't that!

A: You need to buy/make a former, which to pull armour, you need a big one and that means expensive (I know... I've done it) and then you need to make bucks to form over. If you're only making one set, this is effectively doubling up your work. Because by the time you've sculpted your bucks for forming, you'll have just as easily sculpted a set to wear!

Then you have plastic to buy (which incidentally isn't all that cheap either, compared to resin etc).

So whilst PEP is probably the 'cheapest' option, it's one that isn't likely to yield amazing results unless you've got plenty of time to sort the shapes out.

If you're not crazy bothered about 'ultra accurate' looking armour, you should be able to pick up a set pretty cheap. Studio Creations armour (which is very good) should only set you back about $350 and then a lid on top. Find a cheap Rubies and do the mods to it. You're set.

Thank you for all that information, this helps me organize my thoughts and narrow it down a bit more. At studio creations the kit is about $470, and I looked for a bit and found helmets for $80 - $100. Totaling $550 - $570. If I have to I will just buy the kit, I am trying to save as much money I can for a car, but it is what it is.

I think I am going to attempt the Pep way with a shoulder or bicep piece. And if it comes out good then I could consider going that route, and if it comes out bad then no harm no foul.

Blimey... Jeff's put his prices up then!

They were around the $300-350 mark last time I checked.

I know it doesn't help you guys over there, but it makes my kit at £350 over here that little easier to swallow!

Yeah, that's why I say it doesn't help you guys over there!

I can't compete with the US guys on their home soil because I'm always fighting the weak dollar and material costs over here.

Works great coming this way, because by the time you've paid shipping and import duty and VAT on something from the states, say $400.... we'll end up paying £400 or there abouts.

But never works going back across the pond your way unfortunately, especially with extortionate shipping charges on top!

That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Yeah, that's why I say it doesn't help you guys over there!

I can't compete with the US guys on their home soil because I'm always fighting the weak dollar and material costs over here.

Works great coming this way, because by the time you've paid shipping and import duty and VAT on something from the states, say $400.... we'll end up paying £400 or there abouts.

But never works going back across the pond your way unfortunately, especially with extortionate shipping charges on top!

That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

You always come through for me Chef. AND do some awesome scout soft parts too. :thumbsup:

That is the new e-FX Biker Scout helmet, very nice. We are basically the black armor version of the classic Imperial Scout Trooper. The flip up visor was one of the cool aspects of the costume. :)

IMG_4605b_zps1e09c6c3.jpg

TX-8455SHADOWSCOUT-HELMET1_zps0f3fb0db.jpg

Buying supplies is such fun. For me that more times than not leads to new costumes :)