RoBot's TX (So Far)

Hey guys. Just looking for a peer check. I am almost finished with my armor now. I still need a couple soft parts like a neck seal, boots, and gloves (the ones pictured will not be my official gloves). I'm just looking for a bit of advice. First off the 02 canister, I used Izzi's Advice on the Velcro for a less permanent assembly, works great!! But do the strips near the end caps have to be the shiny silver mylar that came with my kit or can I go with a flat black like electrical tape? I don't think the CRL is specific on that. Also I decided to overlap the seams on the main armor parts like thighs and calves and so on. Some parts have a glued seam and some have hidden Velcro. I'm just wondering if finishing strips are required? encouraged? do you guys use them? I thought of putting some on with hot glue or a strong double sided tape just to see if I like them. Just wondering if they are worth the effort. I was just gonna use some of the extra ABS I cut off of the larger pieces. I have not painted the tube stripes on my helmet yet I was going to use the same gloss black paint I used on my ab buttons instead of using the blue decals that came with the kit. And one last thing for now, is it a requirement to have a weapon to join the 501st? I want to go with the BFG setup (DLT-19) no holster or backpack, and keeping the drop boxes. I thought I read somewhere that weapons are not required. Just wondering. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon, just let me know what you guys think so far. Thanks in advance.

post-137-070789800 1288743751_thumb.jpg

post-137-041974000 1288743773_thumb.jpg

You can go flat black on the 02 canister/thermal detonator. You don't have to use the finishing strips, but they might improve the look. No you don't need a weapon for approval. Like that, quick and easy. :)

I'd suggest getting different lenses as you can see through yours and the bubble lenses tend to give people headaches after awhile. :thumbsup:

Good call on the lenses. I want to get silver eventually anyway. I only put them in temporary with hot glue so I can swap em out later. They do create a slight blur effect around the edges not good for trooping. I think someone posted a link on here for silver motorcycle lenses I'll prolly look into that one. Thanks again.

You can go flat black on the 02 canister/thermal detonator. You don't have to use the finishing strips, but they might improve the look. No you don't need a weapon for approval. Like that, quick and easy. :)

I'd suggest getting different lenses as you can see through yours and the bubble lenses tend to give people headaches after awhile. :thumbsup:

What he said. Your O2 looks a bit crooked. What do you have that attached with?

-iz

Good looking kit!

As far as Finishing strips - I have them and my wife doesn't - I like the look of them, I don't miss them on my wife's kit. I don't think they are a requirment.

I might just try the strips and see how they look and feel. I really don't think I need them as the overlaps are pretty clean on the AM kit. If I did "butt joining" then I'd pretty much have to. My O2 canister is attached with money clips that I cut down to size. I noticed in the picture it looks crooked but I think it's just riding up on that one side. Thanks for pointing it out though, I'll make sure I can keep it straight for trooping. At this time I am using the ABS strips that came in the kit for the belt back, but I think I might go with some sort of fabric in the future. That might help alleviate the issue. Does the belt back have to be a shiny material? or can I use a black version of the canvas material our white armor friends do? I still need to do a little detail work to make it more troopable, such as trimming the backs of the thighs and calves for more comfort and adding some padding in a few pieces like the forearms and calves for a better fit. Thanks for all the advice so far guys.