ATA Shadow Helmet

I've been lurking these forums for years.

Well, today that's finally over, in celebration for my birthday I ordered an ATA helmet in shiny black ABS and it has arrived. Before I dive in head first into the build, I just wanted to get any tips or tricks to putting an ATA helmet together. I also have a few questions such as, what kind of mesh should I order to cover the frown, what is the cheapest/ most comfortable padding, and what color should I paint the traps and the tears? Many many more questions to come when I start. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to mess this up.

Blackwidow

• 2 weeks later...

Where you cut the frown depends on the look you are going for. There is anything from low-brow to the Move Along look. I think your lines look fine. As for mesh to cover the frown, winyl window screen works fine, and Trooperbay sells mesh as well; however, in the films there is nothing covering the frown believe it or not. When I make helmets now I put nothing behind the teeth.

• Like 1

According to the CRL,

• Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) may be: hand painted, decals. Acceptable colors are: black or gray. Rear traps and tears may have vertical black lines.

but I personally think matte black looks best.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hey, been busy with work and was finally able to get back to my helmet. However i ran into a problem with the lenses.

Help me Spec ops you're my only hope.

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to mount the lenses. I want to cut and mount the lenses seperately but every epoxy, glue i try wont stick to the faceplate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clean the inside of the faceplate plastic with some rubbing alcohol. There may be some mold release still on the plastic.

DO NOT use acetone, it will melt the plastic. Normal rubbing alcohol only

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hear that. You can get mirrored lens material from trooperbay and then cut them to size. You can also find mirrored visors on amazon that you could cut down to size. Most of the time, this material is not too expensive so there is at least a little more room to try something out.

• 3 months later...

A&R Sports Helmet Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043WWFCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8lMEybGHTJKDW

I used hockey goalie face mask screws and mounts to put my lenses in my helmet. Holds great. Just use ca glue to mount the posts inside the helmet. Makes for easy removal of the lenses for replacement or cleaning too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A&R Sports Helmet Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043WWFCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8lMEybGHTJKDW

I used hockey goalie face mask screws and mounts to put my lenses in my helmet. Holds great. Just use ca glue to mount the posts inside the helmet. Makes for easy removal of the lenses for replacement or cleaning too.

do you have a picture of this type of mounting?

IMG_6329_zpszzw7yz69.jpg

DSCN1560_zps0shwsfb6.jpg

DSCN1559_zps8conjpmq.jpg

I got the idea from Gazmosis on the FISD forums, aka whitearmor.net

http://www.whitearmo...heavy/?p=363493

His post about building an ATA helmet is really good and would apply to a TK, TD, or TX.

Two of the pics I linked above, the pics with the white plastic showing, are from his FISD forum post. You will see 2 screws and posts per lens in his pics. The other pic I posted above shows 4 screws and posts per lens. That is my setup.