Darth Emphatic's Shadowtrooper Build

Well, if you've been around here long enough you may have heard me mention that this is my dream build. It's something I have wanted to do for a very long time. With Ty's help in moving the bucket along, I figure it's time I post up a thread and start working on everything else. There are going to be a lot of questions, especially with the generation of the Jedi Knight II game. The models aren't as detailed as you would hope.

My first question for our awesome detachment is if anyone has the star wars Guide to Weapons and Technology book. There is a reference to the Shadowtrooper in there, but I am not sure exactly what it is. If not, I will probably end up buying one, but worth checking first.

A big decision I will need to make is if everything will need to be custom sculpted or if a clone or TK provides enough of a base to build up from.

• Like 2

I"m excited to see what you guys come up with.

I just checked The Essential Guide to Warfare, but couldn't find anything in there about them. Now, I wasn't checking all that thoroughly, but I estimate that they aren't in there all the same.

In any event, seriously, best of luck to you! This will be tough one!

- Master Tej -

Yeah I just took a look, my book was written in 1997. Jedi Outcast didn't come out until 2002. So it's probably in the "New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology" which came out in 2004. Just make sure you get the "NEW" version if you get it. :D

I think Ty's right. I looked at my store last night, but we don't have the 2004 version on hand.

• 5 months later...

Alright, I've been analyzing the costume as whole and try to part out what will be armor pieces (realistically). I am looking for opinions on what I've outlined as armor pieces and how I'd go about creating them. I of course have my own ideas, but I want to draw on the collective knowledge of our great group.

Here's what we are going for:

nsgzkVZ.png

Thigh - I've considered if this needs to be multiple pieces vs one or two pieces to help with the details, but I think a solid base piece with layered details would be best here.

EIn4M5O.png

8ChEJPC.png

xig2Ze7.png

F2iYEuL.png

Piece to connect thigh to calf over the knee. I imagine this will likely be a rubber piece.

5L1KRmu.png

Hand Plate - Fairly straight forward, but I'll need to figure out how far up the wrist it goes

Ojkwgmt.png

Kidneys - This would be a bit taller than shown in the picture and the back plate outlined later on would overlap it

JXAJPuU.png

Shoulder/Bicep - Not sure how this will work as one piece as opposed to some sort of shoulder and bicep armor like a traditional TK/TX

415yk1Y.png

es9nFEE.png

AAU4cM2.png

Forearm - seems striaghtforward

0egLEkC.png

Pbqtqx0.png

Cod piece

fd4t2yU.png

Chest/back armor from the side

GR9rUMt.png

Chest armor

RuffJ0g.png

Butt plate

N7L4o6i.png

Calf - Like the thigh, I am imagining one piece (split in a yet to be determined logical place to allow it to be put on) with layers for the details

zOCNJha.png

Ib6M6yg.png

VkOr8WM.png

Qx0Pa8H.png

Belt - The larger square pieces will likely be separate pieces that attach to the belt like belt boxes for an officer or pilot

VB9s0cn.png

nQp6vCk.png

Boot cover

DlVuW9J.png

s3ZRqWN.png

Connector on the inside of shoulder/bicep to forearm - again, I am imagining a rubber piece

C1TyQKp.png

Back plate - would overlap kidney plate

EJKcpLj.png

Ab plate - chest plate would overlap this

uJLjJ8n.png

Wow Steve. I had no idea that this costume was so detailed. It reminds me in many ways of the Sith Acolyte. It really isn't possible to capture all of that detail from vac-forming, but if it's carved deeply into molds the detail should transfer nicely into fiberglass casts. That also would allow for sealed pieces if you wanted. That seems like the best way to go to me. I don't know about you, but that is beyond my current skill-set.

I have seen a couple of other options for detailed armor like this on theRPF: first, pepakura and fiberglassing over the results; second, the use of carved foam with added resin greeblies again fiberglassed over and sanded/shaped.

I never thought of this guy as being all that neat, but looking at these details he's quite the trooper.

Godspeed Steve. I know you can do it and am proud of you for considering it. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Steve, came across this thread today. Haven't had a chance to really give it some thought but for shoulder bells and biceps maybe using a hinged point?

Interested to see how this progresses.

post-3047-0-90119000-1499982225_thumb.jpg