Dark Trooper Phase III (Which one?)

manic

Which Phase III variant is the most "popular"?

The wikia shows this

There's the EaW version

then FPP made this

My father-in-law is about 6'5", 250lbs of muscle.. and keeps on bugging me about getting him into a TK - at least till someone suggested making him a DT.

We settled on P3, but we weren't sure which one to pick.

:) Going to be a fun project for you! You could also go for the original from Dark Forces too. It seems to be what that third link you have posted is modeled from. When in doubt go with whatever has 360 pics. :thumbsup:

Dark Forces Phase 3:

phase3_zpshlu2oean.gif

Have fun, feed us pictures and ask questions along the way when you get stuck! We are to help you out!! :)

Fivezero

:D

Completely forgot about Dark Forces!

So then it boils down to Empire at War or Dark Forces, since both have decent 360's..

The questions now are:

Which do I go for?

Which is the preferred?

I'd go for the Dark Forces version. It's the original and Fierfek's 3D model is very close to it. The model is going to be a higher resolution than the Empire at War version and much easier to finish off and look good in the end. I think it looks better too and in case I didn't mention it's the original source... :P

How do you intend to build the suit? Completely from scratch? Pepakura?

Oh and there's also this uglier version from Star Wars: Galaxies:

screenShot0474.jpg

Fivezero

I'd go for the Dark Forces version. It's the original and Fierfek's 3D model is very close to it. The model is going to be a higher resolution than the Empire at War version and much easier to finish off and look good in the end. I think it looks better too and in case I didn't mention it's the original source... :P

How do you intend to build the suit? Completely from scratch? Pepakura?

Oh and there's also this uglier version from Star Wars: Galaxies:

[Removed image to save space]

Fivezero

Considering DF was the ORIGINAL source, I believe I'll pay homage to that...

Depending on the path, I was gonna do both Pep and scratch it.

Color: Should I go black, or matte blue-gray?

Bucket: definitely Pep with a resin (urethane) coat for the rear. The grill I'll make on my own - it just doesn't look right to me

Body: FPP's will suit the job, but needs work. I'll tweak the file and sculpt the other parts

Best of luck to you in trying to go with this monstrous undertaking!

- Master Tej -

Thanks! I was (and still am) daunted by this but I do have a couple of people to help. I have my father-in-law (FiL for easier refernce) to help me build this - among with a couple of other guys with impressive resumes; one of them has been in the industry for twice as long as I've been alive (worked on Starship Troopers, Team America, Air Force One and Titanic to name some stuff)..

I'm just taking the lead on this because I have the most time to spare.

For color, my recommendation would be to go with black. I see the blue you're talking about on the images above, but I think that's just a reflection of the game.

. . .

My next recommendation was to go with whatever the Darktrooper from Battlefront I and II had in terms of color. This is because that's the most consistent singular source image out there of any of the variants, and since whenever they're together in reference images they all seem to have the same color, it would be a good idea, in my opinion, to keep it the same across the board or at least near the same in terms of color. Hence the idea to go with what the Darktrooper has.

However, apparently it's been longer than I think since I've played Battlefront, because looking at images, the armor is clearly a gray on that one. Whoops. Anyways, in terms of color, my recommendation boils down to that: keep it consistent amongst the variants, starting here. But I'll go on ahead and let others weigh in on that.

- Master Tej -

Yeah I agree that Fierfek's 3D model will definitely need some tweaking to get right but it should provide a good base for you to start out with. Keep the suit consistent with the pictures and you'll be fine.

And on that note, I'd definitely go with gray for the color. When you submit this to the LMO for approval, you'll need to send along your reference images for the trooper. Your suit needs to match everything in the pictures (including color). So I say keep it gray! :thumbsup:

Fivezero

The main reason for taking this task on (besides doing it just because), is for the SW themed wedding we're gonna have.

Technically, we're only engaged - but we're married as far as we're concerned. With that, everyone who's someone to us will be in 501st- grade costumes.

Wife and I'll be custom mando's from my own designs

My family will be Imps (dad and brother) and senators (mom and sister)

Her's'll be DTP3 (dad), mando (sister).. we're not sure about her mom yet

This isn't just a personal project for me, but for A LOT of people - that's why I'm sure this project(s) wont peter out..

(The one thing I'm dead sure of is that this'll hurt the pockets -.-)

super excited about seeing this get off the ground. Ty is definitely the right resource to assist with the build.

I'm excited because I got people on my end who're willing to make this particular project happen - especially the FiL.

For color, my recommendation would be to go with black. I see the blue you're talking about on the images above, but I think that's just a reflection of the game.

. . .

My next recommendation was to go with whatever the Darktrooper from Battlefront I and II had in terms of color. This is because that's the most consistent singular source image out there of any of the variants, and since whenever they're together in reference images they all seem to have the same color, it would be a good idea, in my opinion, to keep it the same across the board or at least near the same in terms of color. Hence the idea to go with what the Darktrooper has.

However, apparently it's been longer than I think since I've played Battlefront, because looking at images, the armor is clearly a gray on that one. Whoops. Anyways, in terms of color, my recommendation boils down to that: keep it consistent amongst the variants, starting here. But I'll go on ahead and let others weigh in on that.

- Master Tej -

I REALLY wanted to do black on this, because I think black would be an awesome color (there's a reason why I wanted to join the 501st as a TX in the first place). I'll make a poll later on what the final color will be but I'll stick with the gray (gloss).

Before I do ANYTHING related to color, I'll worry about getting it started first >.<

Oh, and also, it sounds like you have the most amazing sources of help. You should be pretty suited to this project!

- Master Tej -

I was honored when Bruce (the guy who worked on the movies I listed) took me in. I've called him my mentor from then on.

10349154_10205301197474642_5259487061363600721_n_zpsmbtnptds.jpg

10432088_10205377035730551_2197228565854570285_n_zps0esfxedv.jpg

644377_10205191661016299_7755568077023448695_n_zpsufmsab1c.jpg

10445501_10205204245050892_6391816082716922907_n_zpsjlql963l.jpg

Yeah I agree that Fierfek's 3D model will definitely need some tweaking to get right but it should provide a good base for you to start out with. Keep the suit consistent with the pictures and you'll be fine.

And on that note, I'd definitely go with gray for the color. When you submit this to the LMO for approval, you'll need to send along your reference images for the trooper. Your suit needs to match everything in the pictures (including color). So I say keep it gray! :thumbsup:

Fivezero

The chest and forearms need some tweaking, jetpack is nonexistent, and those thighs don't look like they're for human use..

And it looks like gray is the popular color of choice anyway lol

So I am just going to put these pics taken at celebration here then.

[Removed images to save space]

Yeah, saw him there, too! That's why I got reminded of building it in the first place >.<

He was posting stuff on tubachris85x's group on FB.. and here's the guy's flikr

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

As I've said before, I'm working on multiple projects (custom mandos, dark troopers, TFA trooper, etc). However, due to a friend's crappy turn of events, I'm putting everything on hold except 1.

He needs help to complete this project by the end of the month - or he'll have no place to live. I know you guys will understand..

As a consolation, here's what we're working on..

WP_20150502_0042_zpsysiu3dqs.jpg

As you can see, it needs A LOT of work. The rest of the armor is coming along nicely - though there's a bit of a debate as to keeping the chest piece 3 separate pieces or just molding it into 1. I'm picking 3 for added maneuverability, since the guys at Celebration couldn't even put their own buckets on.

To show that he knows what he's doing:

WP_20150502_0101_zpsl87cnsgz.jpg

He just focusing on completing the armor he's starting from scratch with. I'm gonna be working on the bucket.

Other guys are also helping him in this, so we hope to get EVERY thing done by the end of May.. we may even get to troop the ALVCC in June

Please note that the picture of the TFA bucket is only shared with you guys. He's worried about how things are turning out in the Legion, with the upper echelons having to get chummy with Anovos

/wince

• 3 weeks later...