Magma Mistakes

Hi, everyone. I'm waiting for my Magma kit to arrive. This'll be my first build. And I'm curious: what do I use if I crack the armor while trimming? Is this 'bondo' I've been hearing about suitable? Or is that only for white TKs? This is doubly important because I'm eventually getting a black Shadowtrooper as well. Thanks all!

I've never cracked ABS while trimming before, and I've done a handful of costumes. Just use the score/snap method, and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

An just a little piece of advise, remember, once you have made the cut, you can always cut more, but you cant cut less.

In another words, when in doubt, leave enough plastic, you can always trim it down a little later if needed

I have cracked, scratched and snapped armor in my building and trooping. I have one kit as the shadow stormtrooper so far. There are a few things that you need to go by. As already stated, go slow and don't rush. The faster you go the more mistakes that can happen.

Make sure you measure at least three times and cut once. (Or rather measure twice cut once) If you know the exact measurements you need to go by then the better your kit will fit and the more fun you will have at troops without having to worry about armor bites or needing to get the ca glue or tape.

The number one rule though is to relax. If you are ever unsure about a cut, mark it, take a pic and ask us. We can help. ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. To follow up a little: my build is going well. Very well actually. But, my kit is pretty scratched up in some spots (came that way). Unfortunately on some visible spots, including the chest plate. Are there any simple ways to buff out a few scratches? Thanks.

Novus polish can be great. They have 3 levels. I would try each of them in turn. Also, I have taking sand paper toarmor before sanding out the spot and taking it all the way up, one increment at a time, to 15000 grit. It returned to a full shine for me. I wouldnt hesitate to hit up the kit builder either. Your kit shouldnt arrive with a ton of scratches. Maybe more so if its an unfinished one you have to paint, but not if it is already gloss.

I see a lot of people mentioning words of how not to crack the plastic but nothing for repairs. Depending on where the crack may be you can always reinforce the crack on the backside with a strip of styrene and then fill with glue and sand or acetone and abs mixture to seal the crack and sand/polish.

Just one of many ways you can repair cracks. Heck if you wanted you could even fiberglass underneath and fill with resin ...LOL

• 10 months later...

Hi, everyone. I'm waiting for my Magma kit to arrive. This'll be my first build. And I'm curious: what do I use if I crack the armor while trimming? Is this 'bondo' I've been hearing about suitable? Or is that only for white TKs? This is doubly important because I'm eventually getting a black Shadowtrooper as well. Thanks all!

In the trooper bay guide, It says to use a hole puncher on the angles to prevent splitting