Magma Trooper: Attempt #2

I learned the hard way that there's not a lot of room for adjusting ROTJ costumes for certain sizes. I was also fed up with the PVC U-trim not staying put.

The armor I have is mostly ANH, with a ROTJ helmet and kidney/butt (which I've already split). It all really lends itself better to butt-join assembly, rather than overlap. I'm feeling like if I want to try a Shock Trooper again later, I should build a proper ROTJ kit. So I took everything apart and have decided to give the Magma a second chance!

The parts not pictured are in the freezer. I've heard that freezing the glued parts will make it a bit easier to pry them apart.

20160516_165921.jpg

I've since peeled off the decals and disassembled the bucket. I'm going to go with the ANH Hero look with this TM ROTJ, keeping the bubble lenses and only cutting out six teeth. Just need to get a new set of ears and install them.

The next few days will be spent reassembling my parts with cover strips. Hoping to have everything shiny and red before the end of June.

• Like 1

You just can't make-up your mind Mike! J/k, it's great to see you aiming toward magma again.

• Like 2

Mike,

The new Magma was my priority as well, after the re-breather becoming a mini nightmare i ditched the project. Sold off the FX armor and shin-guards went to the aluminium pile for scrap.

If you can make a fibre glass mould or have a 3d printer make the re-breather then your laughing.. I did start the cad work, ill try to find the file for you,

Chris

Mike,

The new Magma was my priority as well, after the re-breather becoming a mini nightmare i ditched the project. Sold off the FX armor and shin-guards went to the aluminium pile for scrap.

If you can make a fibre glass mould or have a 3d printer make the re-breather then your laughing.. I did start the cad work, ill try to find the file for you,

Chris

Ahh sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going for the Battlefront Magma. That's another ROTJ style costume. I'm painting this suit red!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
You just can't make-up your mind Mike! J/k, it's great to see you aiming toward magma again.

It's kind of shameful how many times I've changed my plans over the years. First it was Magma to Death Trooper, then Mandalorian to Shock Trooper, now Shock to Magma again. :teehee:

There's going to be more than a handful of FISD and NEG folks surprised at me for dropping this one :P

Ahh sorry to disappoint, but I'm not going for the Battlefront Magma. That's another ROTJ style costume. I'm painting this suit red!

Very cool, cant wait to see it finished..

• Like 1

More cover strips are glued and curing. I accidentally destroyed the HIPS plastic knee plate while removing it (saving it for Death Trooper #2 later), so I have a new ABS one on the way. I think I might wait until all my parts are assembled so I can paint everything at once.

20160523_171733-1.jpg

There were a few blemishes on the paint job on my helmet so I sanded it down and tried again. This shade of red is a bit darker than the one I used on my Shock Trooper and it's perfect! I'm going to let this clear coat cure for a couple days or so before I wet sand and buff to a shine.

13241182_10204900066381481_4517787601685696862_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow! I didn't see this coming! The magma looks great, but I must say I am sad to see the shock trooper go.. Haha. Maybe I'll just have to make one myself. ;)

Keep up the awesome work Mike. :duim:

• 5 months later...

Got back to working on this. For the first time, I think I finally managed to hammer my very own working snap system from start to finish. Just need to make four more straps before I'm ready for another test fitting.

IMG_20170117_181243_618.jpg

Once we have a day with warmer temps, I can get outside and put down some fresh coats of paint. And once my new holster arrives, I'll be pretty much ready to submit this thing.

• Like 1

Progress! The armor is structurally complete, aside from attaching my new holster to the belt. Just need to buy a new pair of Under Armour bottoms.

Not pictured is the thermal detonator canister, which will come off my zombie trooper costume and be replaced later (I won't be trooping that costume for a while). I refrained from beating it up just in case I would need it for something else!

IMG_20170123_153338_171.jpg

Took advantage of a rare opportunity to paint outside in above-freezing temperatures! I think it needs one more coat later on before I paint on the smaller details.

20170126_163655.jpg

Hoping to have more opportunities to paint the rest of the armor soon.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A 42 degree day allowed me to paint most of my armor in one go. I didn't have time to paint my shins and handplates before sundown though. Once the paint cures on everything, I'll get to suit up and submit pictures! :smiley-sw013:

20170209_111434_edit_1486666488204.jpg

Hey Mike. Looking good! The only thing that stood out to me is the trim line on the bucket being a bit off. You want that even going across as much as you can. That's just being nit picky :)

Thanks! You're not the first person to bring that up. I'll adjust it before sending in final pics. :)

Great looking Magma! Can you tell me the paint color you used on that? It's a really deep looking red and looks great.

I'm using Rustoleum American Accents, 280716 gloss apple red. My local Ace Hardware is having currently having a sale on them - each can is only $2.99 :D

I have tried a few different reds, and this one looks the best to me.

• Like 1